PDA

View Full Version : Loose or up in sleep bonnet?

Misschilly
December 11th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I like to wear a sleep bonnet at night, but I was thinking if the hair is loose wouldn't it still be friction because you lay on it?
So is the hair more protected if it's up in a high bun or loose in the sleep bonnet? =)

I haven't seen any answer to this in in the "sleep hairstyles threads"..

thanks!

Camilla

alabaster
December 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I would think there might be a small amount of friction in either option, but i think as long as the material of the bonnet or the pillow is silk or satin you should be ok. I am not 100% on that though....

Crumpet
December 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I always leave my hair loose. Its up all day so I think it is happy to have some freedom for a change. Go with what feels most comfortable to you!

Madora
December 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM
There might be a little friction, depending on how restless a sleeper you are. Wearing a bun, provided it is not pulled tightly up, is good way to keep it free of tangles. Wearing it loose does have the advantage of giving your follicles a rest at night..but you can wind up with tangles in the morning. Have you tried a braid at night? I would think that wearing hair in a silk sleep cap/bonnett would be a protective way of caring for your hair at night. Do what is comfortable for you.

Kaelee
December 11th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I wear mine loose inside the bonnet. :)

itdontmatter48
December 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I wear mine loose in a bonnet as well. I find it gives me more freedom to sleep instead of the multiple times during the night moving my hair.

ladyfey
December 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I also wear mine loose, it seems to prefer that to the braid. I wake up with no tangles at all. I love my bonnet!

Anje
December 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
There might be a bit of friction, but I prefer that to tension on my scalp from having it in an updo, since I wear my hair up most of the time by day. The scalp needs a break!

sarahthegemini
December 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I wear mine loose. I don't seem to experience problems with tangling :)

Stray_mind
December 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I usually wear mine in a braid when i fall asleep, but my hair usually slips out and in the morning it's loose.. :) I use satin pillowcase. I think you should go with the way that's most comfortable to you.

JessicaAnn
December 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I wear my hair loose inside a bonnet. My hair isn't overly prone to tangles, but I do move around a lot at night and wake up with the greasies a lot of the times. I've found sleeping in the cap has greatly cut back on that and has helped me stretch my washes. I also like to put overnight conditioner on my hair before I put it under the bonnet so I wake up with super soft hair.

Aingeal
December 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I wear mine loose in the bonnet. No real tangle issues.

sparrowswing
December 11th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I alternate between a high bun and a paranda braid. The high bun works best for keeping my hair up, out of the way, and tangle free, but after a few nights my follicles need a rest. I tried a sleep bonnet, and I could never find a balance between tight enough to stay on all night and loose enough to be comfortable. I'd wake with weird creases in my hair and a mark across my head where the band sat, and it still managed to give me more tangles than a high bun.

But really there's going to be some amount of damage done no matter what method you use. The key is to minimize damage while maintaining comfort, and methods for achieving that vary a lot from one person to the next.

Naiadryade
December 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Usually loose, occasionally braided for the waves inside a long (shoulder-length) satin sleep bonnet. It doesn't tangle in the bonnet, but it sure will outside of it. Apparently this is magic fabric... I think it's just really slippery. :shrug:

dreamingstar
December 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I wear my hair loose and sleep on a satin pillowcase. I've tried loosely braiding it a few times and that seems to worked alright. However, since I usually wear my hair up in a bun during the day, I try to leave it as loose as possible at night.

rags
December 11th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I wear my hair up almost every day; therefore it's loose inside a bonnet most nights. When it's not then I braid it loosely, and I have a silk pillowcase. I just don't find buns comfortable.

Before I went past BSL though, I slept with it loose. There's a magic point for me between BSL and waist where the tangles get too bad, and it also starts attempting to strangle me in my sleep, so it has to go up or in a bonnet.

soapstone
December 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hehehe Rags , you make me laugh. I have had same experience.

biogirl87
December 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
When my hair was around BSL, whether I slept with my loose or in a sleep bonnet really depended on how I wanted to wear my hair the next day. If I was planning on wearing my hair down the next day (this was usually the case the first three or four days after I washed my hair), I would put it into a really loose bun and into a satin sleep bonnet. When it was getting closer to the next wash day I would sleep with my hair loose because I knew I would be wearing my hair up in the days prior to the wash day and I wanted to give my follicles a chance to relax. You really do not want to be wearing your hair up 24/7 as this puts too much stress on your follicles.

patienceneeded
December 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I make a very loose braid and don't even secure it with anything inside my sleep bonnet. Works really well for me.

battles
December 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM
When mine is longer, I coil it into a bun and just gently set it into a sleep cap. It usually stays that way and I have some loose waves in the morning and no tangles. When I sleep with my hair in a bun, my nape hair shreds itself and I get a ton of breakage.

Islandgrrl
December 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I usually wear a high bun and have a satin pillowcase (that will NOT stay on the pillow, darn it!). But I've been considering the bonnet. Is it hot (as in temprature...I'm pretty sure it's not HOT!)?

Misschilly
December 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks girls, most of you seems to like to have your hair loose in the cap or that I should go with what feel comfortable, I like both up and down so I guess I will use
both and try to see if there's any difference..!

Misschilly
December 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I usually wear a high bun and have a satin pillowcase (that will NOT stay on the pillow, darn it!). But I've been considering the bonnet. Is it hot (as in temprature...I'm pretty sure it's not HOT!)?

Mine is in pure silk and I don't experience it being hot..but I live in cold Sweden to..

Kaelee
December 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM

I don't personally think so, but I'm one of those people who loves to be wrapped up in blankets.

Sillage
December 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Loose! I don't know why but I have a really really hard time sleeping in updos. I try to cut down on the friction with a silk satin pillowcase and I do think it helps.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I have my hair up during the day so at night I give my follicles a rest and have my hair loose in a sleep bonnet. It scarcely tangles, but it would tangle if I didn't wear one. Also my SO would probably lie on my hair if it wasn't confined.

Symphony
December 12th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I loosely braid my hair and put it in a satin bonnet

0xalis
December 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I have a satin pillowcase, but I've been thinking about getting a bonnet. I've wondered this same thing myself! However, I think I'd HAVE to put my hair up in order to get it all into the bonnet! In order to put on a shower cap I have to have my hair up, so I think it'd be the same way.