PDA

View Full Version : Heatless curling

Kikina
December 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Since most LHCers avoid using flat/curling irons, blow dryers, even hot rollers, there should be lots of alternatives, especially for those of you that love wearing your hair down. Share all different methods you know. Which of them you like or use the most, which last the longest, etc. ?

Here are the ones I know:

1. English/French/Dutch braids for waves
2. Rope braids/twisting work for loose curls
3. Rollers for classic curls, but it depends
4. Papillotes really appeal to me, they create really natural looks
5. Socks may create vintage curls or really wild curls depending on how you roll them
6. Pens + pieces of old T-shirt, really original idea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC98NHyfaxc

It's your turn now!

Lyv
December 11th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Sock buns and bee butt buns leave pretty loose curls curls when you take them out
Headband curls < not my favorite for me but it works pretty well for thinner hair and you can make them tighter or looser depending on how thick you make the sections.
Baby wipe curls super pretty and you don't have to wet your hair. I need to do these again!

I saw the baby wipe curls on BeautyKLove's youtube channel and she has a ton of no heat curling methods I think there's even one using pizza boxes lol

bekahleigh
December 11th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Totally just checked out the YouTube channel mentioned above, and i'm about to try the scarf curl method before I lay down for a nap since i'll be doing an oil treatment tonight anyway so it won't matter if I look like a puffball for a few hours O.o going to subscribe to this thread, brilliant thread idea!

askan
December 11th, 2013, 07:34 AM
With my shorter hair, the only method that I've found works well for me is making two tight twisted knots, cinnabun style in the back of my head. One of the top hair and one of the lower hair. Hair should be damp, wait until completely dry, take out knots. Voila, nice loose glamorous curls.

Kikina
December 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM
beautyklove has really awesome and original ideas and I really want to try every one of them.
My first aim is the cocoon... thing she does. It's brilliant. Maybe I will post some photos too.

HintOfMint
December 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Pin curls and steam rollers are my two favorite methods. I realize that steam isn't exactly "heatless" but it's warm by the time it reaches your hair and the moisture in the roller makes it pretty good for your hair actually. I also damp bun but it results in more of a loose wave rather than a proper "done" curl.

arelrios
December 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I only do sock buns (since is the only method that is easy for me) and sometimes the curls turn great and sometimes, not so much... here is my latest attempt on Sunday... i am very proud and apologies because i have already posted the pic in many threads :o
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii576/arelrios/a2f6ed51-c831-4fbb-8772-8b53107f037e_zpsf82277cd.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/arelrios/media/a2f6ed51-c831-4fbb-8772-8b53107f037e_zpsf82277cd.jpg.html)

Madora
December 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I rarely curled my hair but when I did I just braided it half way down, then banded it, then divided the remaining hair in 7 sections and rolled up each section in a large foam roller. The curl lasted about 2 days.

lunalocks
December 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I do a seashell bun on the top of my head, the first loops loose and the final loops tighter. Gives lovely wavy curls on the ends.

stachelbeere
December 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
pin curls all the way! it's my go-to sleeping 'do.
I make super loose ones by wrapping my hair (dividing it into 6-7 sections) around 3 fingers and pinning them with amish pins. then I wrap my silk scarf around my head and go to sleep. Gives awesome big, loose curly waves and turn into body waves at the end of the day. loving this so much!

TrapperCreekD
December 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I get the best, consistent, results from damp loose braids. I love the curls I get from a sock bun, unfortunately a large section, probably close to half always turns into a weird frizzy rat's nest that looks awful. :justy:

Mainesongbird
December 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Ooooh new youtube channel for me to learn from! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kikina
December 12th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Ooooh new youtube channel for me to learn from! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely love both of her channels (the 33 and the 333 one), you should really check them out. It's full of awesome movie-inspired hair tutorials.