PDA

View Full Version : Cut off damage, left with layers, generally having a bad time..

kiezel
December 11th, 2013, 02:53 AM
I had a ton of damage from dye previously, which I cut out of my hair, leaving me with very unruly layers, the shortest being around chin length. I also took off a little of the length, so I went from BSL to APL again. I just feel...dejected, not only about my hair, but about some other things in life which are making me feel like a failure. I also screwed up my bangs, which is a rarity for me...but that doesn't really bother me that much oddly. I miss the fullness of my hair before I cut the damage out. But it was necessary, I was getting velcro ends a week after microtrimming. Bluu...I'm havering. ._.

Of the Fae
December 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Don't worry :) I know how you feel I made a cut mistake too a while back.
It will grow ! It will grow and everything bad will eventually get better.
Put it up in a messy cute bun, change the way you braid it, and try to not obsess over the growth (hard, hard, hard! X3)
You'll be fine :)
Do you have a pic? Surely it won''t look as bad as you think it does

FireFromWithin
December 11th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Enjoy your shorter hair while it's growing out. I did a big cut to get rid of damage at the beginning of the year and I'm not back to where I was before but my hair is in such better condition. Try to think about something else and forget about your hair for a while. Or just think of how much nicer it will be at BSL now the damage is gone!

ositarosita
December 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Before you know it will be back plus some ...*hugs*

lapushka
December 12th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Just let it out, that alone will make you feel a little better! :grouphug:

APL isn't as bad, for me it's where it "just" starts to get longish. You can do cute updos at that length, if only a peacock twist or tuck of some kind (Gibson tuck). A French twist is also nice. Just experiment a little with what you can do at this stage, and it will make you feel a little productive and it probably will make you feel better about your hair (I hope so)!

At least the damage is out, and that's worth something at least! :D

Liz_park
December 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time.

APL is a good place to start, and I think cutting out that damage was probably a great thing. Focusing on healthy hair habits will go a long way to making you feel better about your hair :)

I can empathize with silly layers -- I am growing out a layered cut at the moment. I had chin length layers, but I found once they got a bit longer, they really weren't as noticeable! Chin layers tend to grow into face framing layers, so maybe give it a few months to see how they grow out?

I would recommend growing for 3-4 months, and then trimming the bottom of your length an inch or so (not the layers, just the length), and then repeating that process until the layers are gone. I've been doing that and I've found that works really well for a few reasons. First, my hair is gradually getting longer, so it feels better than just maintaining at shorter length. Second, a small trim is less jarring than a big chop. Third, my layers are slowly disappearing :cheese:

Other than that, maybe try to focus on exercise and a good diet? I find regular exercise helps with my hair growth. It also makes me feel a lot better about the rest of my body and takes the focus off my hair :)

Arciela
December 12th, 2013, 11:35 AM
OP - I did the same thing ; ; Back in May I had to cut my "bangs" (More like the front part of my hair to just behind my ear) to cut out ridiculous bleach damage. Then I had to cut my BSL hair to APL >.<

The good news is in a few months it gets a LOT better! I cut back in May and now my hair is BSL and those odd "bangs" are growing out nicely. I know how annoying and awful it can be...just try to put it up and forget it about it. Positives are your hair healthy now right? You cut out all the icky damage! All that is left now is for it to grow :) The worst part is out of the way!

ExpectoPatronum
December 12th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I'm one of those people who also cut from BSL to APL to get rid of damage. Trust me...It gets better! I cut my hair back in September and I'm already an inch and a half away from BSL again....and damage free too! The best feeling is not having velcro ends and having to trim again a week after you last trimmed.