PDA

View Full Version : Amodimethicone?

Michiru
December 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
OK, so Amodimethicone is still a cone right? I'm looking at a conditioner and it says natural but on the ingredients it has that listed.

http://www.drugstore.com/earth-science-deep-conditioning-hair-masque/qxp213729?catid=183400

lapushka
December 10th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I've found on more than one occasion that "natural" and siliconefree aren't one and the same. ;)

Michiru
December 10th, 2013, 05:44 PM
How is a silicone natural? I've never seen one in the wild.

Yozhik
December 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Lapushka is totally right - "natural" is just a marketing technique. :agree:

However, IIRC, I think some people on LHC swear by amodimethicone, because it's apparently a lighter cone than most and doesn't build up as badly, so if you're not totally opposed to cones, you could give it a try. :shrug:

biogirl87
December 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Michiru, I checked the description and the ingredients of this conditioner. The description says that only the silk protein in it is natural, this doesn't mean that the entire conditioner is natural. Also, while amodimethicone is a silicone, it is an amino-functionalized silicone and it does not build up on itself. I would say that as a deep conditioner, this conditioner is pretty good if your hair likes protein.

biogirl87
December 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I've found on more than one occasion that "natural" and siliconefree aren't one and the same. ;)

How is a silicone natural? I've never seen one in the wild.

Lapushka is totally right - "natural" is just a marketing technique. :agree:

However, IIRC, I think some people on LHC swear by amodimethicone, because it's apparently a lighter cone than most and doesn't build up as badly, so if you're not totally opposed to cones, you could give it a try. :shrug:Ladies, the description does not the say that the entire conditioner itself is natural, just that the hydrolyzed silk protein in it is natural. The silk protein in the conditioner could very well be natural.

ErinLeigh
December 10th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Ladies, the description does not the say that the entire conditioner itself is natural, just that the hydrolyzed silk protein in it is natural. The silk protein in the conditioner could very well be natural.

Speaking of...I always thought it could be removed without sls shampoo but an article I just read said it is actually quite difficult to remove and does need sls. Now I'm very confused.

Anje
December 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Natural means the bottle is brown or green, right?

Yes, it's a silicone. However, it's a fairly good one even for folks who have troubles with silicone buildup because it doesn't layer on top of itself.

biogirl87
December 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Speaking of...I always thought it could be removed without sls shampoo but an article I just read said it is actually quite difficult to remove and does need sls. Now I'm very confused.Erin, what you always thought was right. Even cocoamidopropyl betaine can remove silicones. Back in the day when the first Curly Girl Handbook came out it was thought that only sulfates can remove silicones and even though now we know better, some sites and articles still have the old information in them apparently. You do not need sulfates to remove silicones because cocoamidopropyl betaine does that just fine.

Thinthondiel
December 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I've read that amodimethicone becomes water soluble if the formula also contains trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride (link (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/73010-amodimethicone-becomes-water-soluble-when-accompanied-these-ingredients.html))