PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil solidified in hair - safe to leave in?

meteor
December 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I applied warmed up coconut oil to hair in low temperature and it solidified immediately. I actually saw tiny white bits stuck in canopy hair, and that hair got stiff.
My question is: is it safe to leave it in until my wash day and can I still style (e.g. braid/bun) my hair? Or can hair actually break off with solidified coconut oil on it?

Oh, the joys of living in the North! :D

LauraLongLocks
December 10th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I've been using coconut in my hair and heading outdoors in single digit weather, with my hair up and protected under a scarf, and so far, no breakage. That said, I would rather use jojoba since it doesn't harden as easily in cooler temperatures and won't leave white flecks in my hair.

swearnsue
December 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I don't know, I switch to olive oil in the winter though.

spidermom
December 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM
wow, never had that problem, even when it's cold (guess that makes me a hot head). Maybe hit it with the hair dryer on warm for a few minutes until the coconut oil is absorbed, or put it under a warm hat or scarf.

PraiseCheeses
December 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
It's safe to leave in as long as you don't touch your hair - don't try to comb through it because the solidified oil keeps the hair stuck together and creates a lot of resistance against the comb. I got major tangles and breakage by doing that. I tuck my braid down my shirt or put on a warm hat for a while before trying to detangle hair with solidified oil in it.

Would the beneficial lauric acids still be able to penetrate the hair if the oil is solid? I know low heat makes it much more effective...