PDA

View Full Version : I want a streak!

amanda_the_tall
December 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hi guys, it's me again.
Lately I've been itching to do something to my hair. My natural color is a light/medium brown, which I find really boring since it's not as dramatic as light/dark brown, it's just in the middle and very common where I live. I used to dye it darker because I liked the contrast, but now I realize the darker color really is too much of a hassle to keep up with, plus it accentuates the redness in my face. I've been wanting to do a streak in my hair, like I've seen on a few girls at school. Basically what they've done is one or two streaks at the nape of their neck, so you can see it when they pull their hair up, and you can see it when it's down too but since it's in the back it isn't SUPER obvious and I think it's a cool idea to get a little pop of color without completely wrecking your hair. I could be wrong on that. I was wanting to do purple or blue, but then I realized that wouldn't be a good choice because I'm going to be working as a volunteer tax preparer next semester and I don't think it'd go well with the 'professional' image. Not that people with blue/purple/any color hair aren't professional, if you can get away with it rock it! Anyways now I'm considering a blonde streak. Not necessarily platinum but something that will make a nice contrast while not looking too crazy. However, I'm a little worried about damage from bleach. My hair is super fine, but I'm hoping if I do the nape hairs a) they won't be as damaged since they're usually protected from wind/usually are oilier than the rest of my hair b) if it ends up looking too damaged they can be easily hidden since it's the back of my head c) if I don't like it I could just put a semi permanent dye over it and dye it as close as I can to my natural hair color. I've read about coconut oil helping minimize the damage, if anyone has any advice please let me know! (Or if this seems like a completely stupid idea let me know too)

Bagginslover
December 11th, 2013, 03:41 AM
I regularly bleach streaks, which I then henna over to purposely get the 'bozo' orange so many seem to dislike (I LOVE it!). I tie/braid away all the hair I don't want to bleach, and cover it with plastic wrap, just to be safe, the plaster the hair to be bleached in coconut oil. Once all th e streaks are saturated, I go back and apply the bleach (I don't let the oil sit for ages-too impatient ;) ). I might sit by the fire once the bleach is on, or blast with my hairdryer to process it a bit faster, but not always, then just let it all down, wash as normal, and there you have it, odd coloured bleached out henna streaks, all ready to re-henna ;) (yours of course will not be odd coloured if your hair is virgin ;) )

Agnes Hannah
December 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hi you could try a clip in. They come in a range of colours and you can take it out so it isn't permanent and won't damage your hair. By the way, I think your hair colour is the colour I am aiming for , I think its lovely. Good luck.x

bekahleigh
December 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Isn't there some kind of hair safe hair chalk you could use? Temporary of course, but would be good to try out a color to see if you'd like it.

GeoJ
December 11th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I regularly bleach streaks, which I then henna over to purposely get the 'bozo' orange so many seem to dislike (I LOVE it!). I tie/braid away all the hair I don't want to bleach, and cover it with plastic wrap, just to be safe, the plaster the hair to be bleached in coconut oil. Once all th e streaks are saturated, I go back and apply the bleach (I don't let the oil sit for ages-too impatient ;) ). I might sit by the fire once the bleach is on, or blast with my hairdryer to process it a bit faster, but not always, then just let it all down, wash as normal, and there you have it, odd coloured bleached out henna streaks, all ready to re-henna ;) (yours of course will not be odd coloured if your hair is virgin ;) )

I did the same thing! I love my streak (just one)! I used the same method, but without adding heat.

I have a few bright colored clip in extensions for my DD to wear to fun things like festivals & parades. They work well, and allow her to look very normal on school days.

bekahleigh
December 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I regularly bleach streaks, which I then henna over to purposely get the 'bozo' orange so many seem to dislike (I LOVE it!). I tie/braid away all the hair I don't want to bleach, and cover it with plastic wrap, just to be safe, the plaster the hair to be bleached in coconut oil. Once all th e streaks are saturated, I go back and apply the bleach (I don't let the oil sit for ages-too impatient ;) ). I might sit by the fire once the bleach is on, or blast with my hairdryer to process it a bit faster, but not always, then just let it all down, wash as normal, and there you have it, odd coloured bleached out henna streaks, all ready to re-henna ;) (yours of course will not be odd coloured if your hair is virgin ;) ) do you mean you put the bleach in over the coconut oil? Or wash the oil out before bleaching?

Bagginslover
December 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Bleach straight over the oil, no rinsing between. I find the bleach actually develops a bit faster this way, so I don't need it on as long ;)

fairview
December 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Isn't there some kind of hair safe hair chalk you could use? Temporary of course, but would be good to try out a color to see if you'd like it.

Excellent idea. If you ever so lightly misty our hair, rub the chalk against the growth and then set with a flat iron, the chalk could remain for up to 2 weeks or more, YMMV. If you rub it on dry hair with the growth, it will last for a 3 day weekend. I particularly like chalk because of its changeability

But if you're set on color, find someone who understands block dimensional color. It is an old school technique that has more or less fallen out of favor. I use it on many of my professional guests who need to have what is 'considered' socially acceptable hair color but like to have a little flair when they pull their hair up and back. When down, it is virtually undetectable but when pulled back from the face, it really gives a lot of pop.

amanda_the_tall
December 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Excellent idea. If you ever so lightly misty our hair, rub the chalk against the growth and then set with a flat iron, the chalk could remain for up to 2 weeks or more, YMMV. If you rub it on dry hair with the growth, it will last for a 3 day weekend. I particularly like chalk because of its changeability

But if you're set on color, find someone who understands block dimensional color. It is an old school technique that has more or less fallen out of favor. I use it on many of my professional guests who need to have what is 'considered' socially acceptable hair color but like to have a little flair when they pull their hair up and back. When down, it is virtually undetectable but when pulled back from the face, it really gives a lot of pop.
I've tried chalk before, even super bright colored chalk (neon pink) didn't make that much of a color difference, but I was using regular chalk instead of chalk specifically designed for hair.

SM
December 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
What about manic panic, Special FX or Elumen (or others that I don't know of)? They are vegetable dyes and they don't damage your hair. They are not permanent but will last a while. I suppose that with some of the colors you will achieve a pretty vibrant shift even in unbleached hair.

dianahottie
December 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Do you mean like a shadow? I have one My hair is blonde on top and my under hair is bright red, looks awesome in updps

http://s26.postimg.org/4t2r8e7t5/710898_10152397358595022_1644392629_n.jpg