PDA

View Full Version : Natural Hair Salons (Caucasian hair)

sagremus
December 10th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Hello all,

I'm on the hunt for a natural hair salon for Caucasian hair. I see a lot of hair salons for African American / curly hair types, but I'm wondering if there is any that cater to all types of hair. In general I mean a place that avoids heat, uses quality products (or lets you bring your own), hair oils, and helps you grow and maintain healthy hair. I am looking for a trim and don't want to go to a conventional salon.

Thanks

Bagginslover
December 10th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Virtually every salon out there is geared towards (to use your term) caucasian hair. Not may use the methods you describe however, so the only way to find out is to go in and ask (you don't say where you are either, which makes it harder to help you). You might find that the salons catering to the super-curlies are actually more accomodating than the type youre looking for, again, just ask.

Flor
December 10th, 2013, 02:47 AM
I think you want a LONG hair salon. There are very few of those. Your best bet is finding an understanding hairdresser in a (what you call) conventional salon. Go in, talk to them, see if they have someone working there that caters to long hair.

Otherwise, a lot of people seem to have luck with barber shops, if all you need is a trim.

sagremus
December 10th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I know that most conventional shops cater towards white people (am very familiar with the white privilege concept), but I did a search for natural hair salons and came up with many who are involved with African American hair textures. I would feel out of place visiting them (should I?), so I mean one that would be inclusive of all types of hair. I guess this is difficult to address without sounding racist/elitist what have you. I mean what Flor is describing, a long hair salon.

ejking2
December 10th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Unfortunately, a salon that helps you grow long, healthy hair using natural methods would cater to a niche market. Plus long hair is relatively low-maintenance. There is more money to be made in cutting and dyeing every 4-6 weeks. Therefore, long hair salons are few and far between. You may be able to find one if you live in or near a major city. I'd suggest learning to self-trim instead.

Hairitic
December 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I found a "Natural" salon in Elizabethtown, PA. I was looking for one so that I could have someone do a whole head Henna on my (at that time) waist length naturally tangly hair. I called the salon and asked if they would do it and they said "NO!, they only work with organic materials." LOL! I guess they aren't really up on things 'cause the Henna I use IS organic. I've just taken to doing roots only treatments. I get great color. My hair doesn't get all tangled up during the treatment. It rinses out pretty easily. I save good money on the amount of Henna I use and on the cost of the salon service. Their loss, my gain! :applause :p I found a GREAT, understanding female BARBER that trims my hair exactly the way I ask for $11.00! I'm a happy camper. :D :lala:

Madora
December 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Hello all,

I'm on the hunt for a natural hair salon for Caucasian hair. I see a lot of hair salons for African American / curly hair types, but I'm wondering if there is any that cater to all types of hair. In general I mean a place that avoids heat, uses quality products (or lets you bring your own), hair oils, and helps you grow and maintain healthy hair. I am looking for a trim and don't want to go to a conventional salon.

Thanks

You didn't say where you're located, but Madora Long Hair Heaven, in NYC, is THE place for anyone who wants the best for their hair. They've been in business since the mid 1950s and cater to anyone who has long hair or wants to grow it long. They are expensive but worth it. They are fantastic! No scissor happy stylists there!

Annibelle
December 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I've never gone to a salon that had a problem with doing things naturally, as long as you let them know you don't want heat and you want to use your own products. You could also go in to get a dry cut, because then no heat or products need to be involved at all. :)

HintOfMint
December 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
My advice is to find conventional salon that can do a roller set to dry your hair instead of blowdrying it. When I was avoiding heat like the plague, a hairdresser offered to put my hair in rollers and stick my head under those helmets to dry my hair in a less damaging way since the heat is indirect and more warm than hot. Also, check to see if they're open to sulfate-free, they might be more open to other natural products and letting you bring your own stuff. I'd say those are two things to look for in a salon in general.

As for the hairdresser his/herself, you're looking for someone flexible and easygoing. And be up front about wanting to grow out your hair and treating your hair gently. Physically show her how much you want off your ends. I've lived in several cities and most hairdressers have been quite respectful about my long hair goals. Maybe I've been lucky, but in my experience, they aren't as rare as they're made out to be.

Pamala513
December 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM
There's Natural and then there's Organic .they are not the same as most are lead to believe.

biogirl87
December 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM
There's Natural and then there's Organic .they are not the same as most are lead to believe.Pamala, I agree with on this. Most of the time when sytlists hear the word natural, they think of African American hair that has not been relaxed.

patienceneeded
December 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Try searching for a "green" salon or a salon that uses vegan-friendly and/or organic products. There are a few in my town (but I do live in the city of Portlandia...which is known for being a bit kooky). Even then you would still need to do some research AND fins a stylist you trusted and liked.