PDA

View Full Version : How to get slip without cones?

rcblinn
December 9th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Is it even possible? I'd love to except cones build up something fierce on me. My hair is a rats nest without the slip though, especially when worn down. Some oils like EVOO help but I still get dreads around my nape area. Any cone free product that might work for my fine but dense head of hair?

Eliska
December 9th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Vinegar rinses. Seriously, they're magic.

I also hear marshmallow root tea rinses are great for slip as well, but I haven't tested that one yet.

Gumball
December 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Coconut oil is one that helps me a lot, or at least the kind of slip that means I can deal with knots and tangles a lot easier than had I gone without it. I've lately done a combination of avocado oil and coconut oil. My hair's fine with it.

CurlyCap
December 9th, 2013, 09:24 PM
ACV rinses have helped me a lot in preventing single strand knots (ie, SSKs/fairy knots).

Lots have recommended marshmallow root to me, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Lyv
December 9th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I've only tried ACV once and it made my hair feel sticky so I must have done that wrong. Have you tried tresemme naturals conditioner? It gives my hair some slip and so does doing an SMT.

emmyliten
December 10th, 2013, 03:34 AM
I have huge issues with dry, dull, tangly hair. I literally cannot run my fingers through my hair straight after brushing it even. I use to have glass-like hair, so slippery it just fell out of any hairband I used. Now nothing seems to help, not even when I fall into the silicone-trap... But, the other day I mixed 50/50 conditioner and honey and applied to hair. Left it under a shower cap while I washed face and shave my legs (so not for very long!) and then rinsed out, applied just a little more like "regular" conditioner and rinsed again. By now my roots need a wash but honestly, I donīt want to wash my hair beacuse my lengths are _so_ shiny and nice! Itīs not quite as slippery as it used to be, but It havenīt felt this good in atleast a year!

florenonite
December 10th, 2013, 03:39 AM
My hair didn't like ACV rinses, but lemon juice rinses give so much slip I have trouble keeping it in a bun.

stachelbeere
December 10th, 2013, 04:19 AM
once a week an egg yolk wash with honey followed with a citric acid rinse.

NoRush
December 10th, 2013, 05:03 AM
For me, flaxseed oil is the bomb, a few drops before finger combing and maybe a few more afer hair is dry. Magic.

Anje
December 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm a huge fan of conditioners with quaternary ammonium compounds (aka cationic surfactants) in them for slip. Behentimonium metholsulfate is a favorite of mine, but anything behentrimonium, cetrimonium, or stearalkonium seems good for making hair more slippery. They do build up for some people, but I haven't noticed a problem personally. More reading. (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/cationic-surfactants-in-curly-hair-care-products)

SMTs are another magic bullet for me, but I'd say that they're less reliable for people in general than those conditioning ingredients listed above.

rcblinn
December 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I'm a huge fan of conditioners with quaternary ammonium compounds (aka cationic surfactants) in them for slip. Behentimonium metholsulfate is a favorite of mine, but anything behentrimonium, cetrimonium, or stearalkonium seems good for making hair more slippery. They do build up for some people, but I haven't noticed a problem personally. More reading. (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/cationic-surfactants-in-curly-hair-care-products)

SMTs are another magic bullet for me, but I'd say that they're less reliable for people in general than those conditioning ingredients listed above.

Hi Anje, which brands have those in them? Any cheapies? And thank you everyone for your replies! It seems rinses are popular, I should look into getting some ACV!

sarahthegemini
December 10th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I haven't used cones in 5 months and my hair is wonderfully slippy :ponder: I really don't think that cones are the magic answer for slip. All I do is use a good RO with cationic surfactants (I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk)

Anje
December 10th, 2013, 09:39 AM
TBH, they're usually an occasional thing for me, because it's harder for me to find them without silicones. Also because I'm hooked on my cheapy Suave condish for most things. It doesn't give as much slip, but it's consistently good with my hair.

Valkyriejae
December 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I find vinegar rinses give me great slip, but only if I do a light oiling after - the vinegar makes my hair super soft and smooth but without the oil it also gets super prone to tangling/snapping when I comb. Oil (almond, avocado or coconut depending on how dry it is outside) fixes that right up and makes my hair lovely!

EvilPigeon
December 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I second vinegar rinses- ACV in particular! With cold water.

Coconut oil and/or coconut milk treatments also help.

ErinLeigh
December 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM
adding honey to conditioner and a vinegar rinse give me slip and shiny softness without cones.

askan
December 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Quick question to all of you who do ACV-rinses: Do you rinse it out with water afterwards, or du you just leave it in?

meteor
December 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM

I love cationic surfectants for slip, too. I suspect that they are the ones responsible for that wet algae-like or eel-like feel that wet hair has before it dries really slippery-soft. Heavy pre-poo oilings, mineral oil, catnip, acidic rinses work too.

Honey, aloe, other humectants and therefore SMTs don't make my hair slippery, they only help with shine and softness but definitely not slip. Same goes to hydrolized proteins (which work like humectants, too) - I think they hinder slip, but help with structure and strength.

meteor
December 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Quick question to all of you who do ACV-rinses: Do you rinse it out with water afterwards, or du you just leave it in?
You'll need to experiment. I leave it in, but some people prefer rinsing it out.
Check this recent thread dedicated to this subject: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117855

fritillary
December 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
This is a really greatly informational thread for me. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed. I'm definitely going to try out the SMT and the cationic surfactants as I experiment.

I have an additional question about the ACV rinses - is it the very last thing you do to your hair in the shower? After the conditioner, even?

Thanks again!

Naiadryade
December 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM
EVOO works best for me. I use more on the nape area than on the rest of it because that area is more tangle prone for me, too. I do 3-5 drops on the ends and length, then flip all my hair forward with my head upside-down, and do another 3 drops or so on the undermost layer right up to my neck. Keeps tangles at bay and helps detangle them like a charm.

vindo
December 19th, 2013, 06:22 PM
The more gentle and natural my routine became, the less I needed products to get my hair to be a certain way.

Before switching I had tangled, somewhat dry feeling ends at waist length. But with time that turned in to Classic + length, very slippery hair.

I don't use conditioner anymore, because it gives me too much of a slip, but if you want something natural that makes hair very slippery try the Earthly Delight Conditioner. :)

meteor
December 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I have an additional question about the ACV rinses - is it the very last thing you do to your hair in the shower? After the conditioner, even?

Yes, usually. That's what I normally do, too.
And I've had some success adding it to conditioner and even shampoo for softer hair. Some people reported successfully applying it before conditioner. YMMV, as usual.

fritillary
December 19th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Yes, usually. That's what I normally do, too.
And I've had some success adding it to conditioner and even shampoo for softer hair. Some people reported successfully applying it before conditioner. YMMV, as usual.

Ohhh, interesting! I'll give anything a shot. Thanks for the info!

meteor
December 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Fritillary, one more point: if you are a blonde or if you want to make sure you don't get any darkening/reddish tones, instead of ACV use simple white vinegar or lemon rinse (which is better for blondes and also smells amazing compared to vinegar). ACV has a reputation for giving reddish tint to light hair after multiple uses.

ErinLeigh
December 20th, 2013, 05:47 AM
I am about to try Vitapro Fusion leave in. I will advise if it gives a nice slip.
Also Garnier Hydra Recharge Moisture Whip leave in is cones free. A good leave in always gives me slip, cones not needed but I do have fine hai so dont if that makes a difference.

Firefox7275
December 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM
If your products are all the right pH (hair likes ~4.5 or slightly lower when chemical treated rather than virgin) vinegar should be redundant unless you have hard water. The behentrimoniums are indeed noted for their slip.

Any film formers can aid slip from marshmallow to hydrolysed protein, but not all hair types benefit from protein and it can build up making hair feel drier and more tangly.

Crown Pride avocado detangler is slippy for those who like oils or heavily natural formulas. If you don't mind a water soluble silicone L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore 5 reminds me of the old Triple Nutrition.

UP Lisa
December 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Biolage Conditioning Balm or generic equivalent.

starlamelissa
December 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Mineral oil is very slippy. In conditioners or as a leave in.

fritillary
December 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Fritillary, one more point: if you are a blonde or if you want to make sure you don't get any darkening/reddish tones, instead of ACV use simple white vinegar or lemon rinse (which is better for blondes and also smells amazing compared to vinegar). ACV has a reputation for giving reddish tint to light hair after multiple uses.

Ah, thanks! They both give the same effect? I will switch, then, as I have a bunch of silver hair that I'd like to keep silver. Thank you for the info!

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I got really great slip by shampooing with indian herbs.

ErinLeigh
February 7th, 2014, 03:44 AM
For serum: Try Pureology Precious Oil Serum. No cones but works like cones. I love that stuff. Nothing makes my hair shine like this. An it de frizzes me quite well. It doesn't feel like my regular oils. It feels coney to me-light and slippery yet no cones listed. Trust me I have checked the label 10 times :) Just a few drops is all it takes.

Another thing to try..oils in general but mixed. Jojoba, olive, hemp and avocado add nice, I just cannot use them alone as they are too heavy for my fine hair on their own. I mix my oils with water, aloe and glycerin in a mister bottle with a little cone free leave in conditioner (Giovanni or a Pantene Shining Start) and get really nice slip. Mineral oil is also an option I am about to experiment with.

For conditioners..I am still searching for the perfect slip. So far I like Juice Organics POM Smooth, Loreal Eversleek, Acure Argan Stem Cell (not the slipperiest), The Sally's version of Biolage Conditioning Balm. I also love Loreal Cleansing Conditioner.

For Shampoo: I sometimes use a good creamy shampoo so my hair isn't dried out. It makes the conditioner seem to slip more. I have Creme of Nature Moisture & Shine in my rotation and it makes hair like butter.

Here are some links with ingredients to look for.
http://www.curlynikki.com/2013/07/what-is-hair-conditioner-moisturizer-vs.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/curlchemist-hair-conditioners

I have gone cone free myself in the last 3 months so have been playing around with products. Completely understand what you are seeking. It is an adjustment but I am very happy so far. My hair is in better condition now and I do see/feel a difference. hmmmmm I bet my hair would look great now with cones, very tempting :)

The trick for me using oils instead of cones for my slip is finding a balance that doesn't look greasy - if i am heavy handed and look greasy I can get tangles like you do in the nape area as hair "sticks together" so I do understand. It took me a while to figure out the mixing but doing that and adding in that Pureology serum and its just as good as any coney routine for me..actually better IMO after seeing my hair getting better over time instead of worse.

I have a pic somewhere here of my hair with the oils in it. I will try and put it in my album. You cant even tell oils are in my hair..but they sure do the job in letting me run a fine tooth comb though my hair with zero issue. I detangle with a wide tooth then do a once over with a super fine tooth comb and have no issue with it gliding right through now.

ErinLeigh
February 7th, 2014, 03:56 AM
I have huge issues with dry, dull, tangly hair. I literally cannot run my fingers through my hair straight after brushing it even. I use to have glass-like hair, so slippery it just fell out of any hairband I used. Now nothing seems to help, not even when I fall into the silicone-trap... But, the other day I mixed 50/50 conditioner and honey and applied to hair. Left it under a shower cap while I washed face and shave my legs (so not for very long!) and then rinsed out, applied just a little more like "regular" conditioner and rinsed again. By now my roots need a wash but honestly, I donīt want to wash my hair beacuse my lengths are _so_ shiny and nice! Itīs not quite as slippery as it used to be, but It havenīt felt this good in atleast a year!

You are singing my song :) I love adding honey to conditioner. It gives me the best hair days ever. Full, shiny and soft hair.
My favorite conditioner to mix is with is the generic Biolage. I also do a cowash once a week also with regular VO5 and mix honey in that also. These things give me softeness which mimics slip for me.

bunzfan
February 7th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Oils,oils,oils in my opinion :D

ErinLeigh
February 7th, 2014, 04:16 AM
I got really great slip by shampooing with indian herbs.

Your new length photo is lovely. Just had to say that. Sorry for the thread hijack OP.