PDA

View Full Version : Curlies how do you keep knots away?

Fluffy01
December 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I'm constantly getting knots in my hair and it is very frustrating. I comb my hair in the morning and that's about it. Do I need to comb more frequently?

jeanniet
December 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM
You look to be 3a, maybe 3a/b? I have the same hair type, so I'll tell you what I (finally) figured out: stop combing it! When you comb outside of the shower, you're breaking up curls and then those loose hairs want to get back into their curls again, and that makes them tangle. I used to "detangle" my hair at least tiwce a day, and what I was really doing was causing it to tangle more. Now I only detangle/comb in the shower every 2-4 days, and my hair is virtually tangle-free (and much curlier). It takes literally seconds to go through it. So try it and see if it makes a difference for you.

Wildcat Diva
December 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Yup.......^^^^^

Eliska
December 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Fingercombing works great, for the reasons mentioned above. I also tend to wear it up in braids or a bun, especially if I'm wearing clothing that likes to grab onto my hair, or if I'll be getting sweaty, as those are the most tangle-inducing situations I've found.

CurlyCap
December 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Short answer: Don't make it angry.

This ritual most often entails:

Condition as often as possible
Detangle wet/soaking
Lots of leave-in. What works depends on your hair and the weather.
Do not touch when drying
Do not force to take on shapes it does not want to
Do not attempt to win any battle....work with your hair, not against it
DO enjoy having your curl type. Anything else will result in frustration.

GreenBloodyShoe
December 9th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I ignore them and pray that they will go away or rip/pull them out.