PDA

View Full Version : nighttime hairstyles?

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Hello all, i'm looking for some protective nighttime hairstyles. I'm working on growing out layers, so a lot of the styles i've tried, I end up with ends sticking out left and right, which isn't really beneficial to protecting them. I've pretty much stuck to a high cinnabun, to get all of it up and off the pillow while I sleep. Occasionally I switch it up and do two high cinnabuns. I know a lot of women do braided pigtails, but how does that help if I sleep on my sides?

Basically, any and all tips on keeping my hair protected during the night is welcome. Any advice on oiling the ends is also helpful, because i'm considering oiling a bit at night before I put it up.

Madora
December 9th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Braiding hair in pigtails at night helps a lot because it keeps your hair confined and thus tangle free.

If you want to protect your ends but have trouble with them sticking out, perhaps you might want to put your hair in a satin sleep cap..or a snood.

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 07:24 PM
A snood? What is this contraption you speak of?

Madora
December 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Snood link:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcXeEfKZSYWIA6feJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzM3 FzdGpoBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANmMGI2OTUwOTJjNWMy ZDk4YzFlODIwMWI1Y2UzNjAxNwRncG9zAzI3BGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsnood%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Datt-portal%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D27&w=406&h=468&imgurl=www.swingdanceuk.com%2Fshop%2Fclothing%2Fim ages%2Fsnood1.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swingdanceuk.com%2Fshop%2Fcl othing%2Ftshirts_snoods_ties.htm&size=99.7KB&name=Snoods&p=snood&oid=f0b695092c5c2d98c1e8201b5ce36017&fr2=&fr=att-portal&tt=Snoods&b=0&ni=21&no=27&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=121j11k58&sigb=12t24lpe8&sigi=11k7lerru&.crumb=QhoulHqwAs1&fr=att-portal

Snoods can be crocheted or made of fabric and go way back in history. Were fashionable during Civil War Era (think Gone with the Wind) and were popular during the 40s as a way to keep hair out of machinery during WW2.

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Hmm maybe I should make one of those. I have some yarn leftover from a blanket project. I wanted to use silk scarves, but all I have on hand is cotton scarves which I doubt would be very helpful.

anitacs9101
December 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM
My favorite is a low, loose beebutt bun held with a scrunchie. Super comfortable and fast. I have layers and they don't stick out if I do it right. If that doesn't work, you could just skip the 'do and wear a satin cap.

Ambystoma
December 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM
If I'm not setting a style in some way overnight (rollers, wrap etc under a silk scarf) then my favourite is a high loose cinnamon bun too, I team it with a silk pillowcase so that there's minimal rubbing. A sleep cap or scarf would help with the layers escaping, since they wouldn't be able to escape too far :laugh:

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I just despise sleeping in a sleep cap lol i'll look into getting a silk pillowcase because the cap is soo not a long term option for me.

Lirona
December 9th, 2013, 09:00 PM
A French braid may help with keeping some of the layers incorporated and thus protected. I would definitely second the silk pillowcase for babying the persistent escapees and your hair in general.

I almost always sleep in a braid, but that is more to prevent tangles, like Madora said. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself, because I'm kind of tired of having braid waves all the time!

sourgrl
December 9th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I alternate between twin braids or the beebutt bun held with satin scrunchies. I get really hot at night so a sleep cap is not an option.

Lirona
December 10th, 2013, 01:56 AM
My favorite is a low, loose beebutt bun held with a scrunchie. Super comfortable and fast. I have layers and they don't stick out if I do it right. If that doesn't work, you could just skip the 'do and wear a satin cap.

I alternate between twin braids or the beebutt bun held with satin scrunchies. I get really hot at night so a sleep cap is not an option.

Is a low beebutt bun uncomfortable if you sleep on your back...?

sourgrl
December 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Lirona, if it was low enough it should be comfy. I am a side sleeper, though

bekahleigh
December 12th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I tried a french braid but ended up with a big mess. Tried doubke braids and it just isn't comfortable. Still searching for more options haha

animetor7
December 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I alternate between various types of braids usually. Although if I'm doing a heavy overnight oiling I'll sleep in a high bun.

endlessly
December 12th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I normally wear it down and loose or in several braids. If I try to do a single, I always end up strangling myself in the middle of the night!

bekahleigh
December 12th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I am an all over sleeper. The safest place for the bulk of my hair is on top of my head, the one place that doesn't get much action at night. Which is why i've stuck to a high cinnabun. But i'm worried about repetitive hair styles and causeing damage to one area by repeating the style so much. Which is why i'm trying new styles. Tonight i'm giving two braids another shot.

Demi-Plum
December 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Personally I just flip my hair up over my pillow and it never tangles, but you might not be able to keep all your layers up like I can. I think pigtail braids or even a french braid is a good option. Every once in a while I'll sleep in those (though I still tend to flip them up over my pillow - I toss back and forth a lot before I fall asleep so it keeps it out of the way for that). For really nice waves I'll do a loose sock bun directly on the top of my head.

HumanBean
December 13th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I do the two braid thing and am a side sleeper. I start each braid right at my ear and near the back of my neck, so really they are braids oriented at my back rather than the side of my head. It works for me.

A single French braid comes partially undone and roughshod up my hair, the two braids really does make for a simple, tangle free morning.

Aingeal
December 13th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I'm no help. I love my sleeping caps. :)

browneyedsusan
December 13th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I usually sleep in a topknot held with a covered elastic. I can tolerate a low French braid, but don't like rolling around on it.

afu
December 13th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I used to wear a Dutch braid every night, however I was worried about the damage from sleeping on the tail and just couldn't matter the upside down version. I also got fed up of the braid waves. At the moment I usually do a high cinnabun held with a spinpin

bekahleigh
December 13th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Well, I tried two braids last night, and it seemed to do pretty well. Their not too messed up, not too much extra hair poking out. And it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. I think this time I managed to braid them more to the back of my head so they weren't right behind my ears, which catches on my sleeper studs in my ears and bugs the crap out of me, which is why I couldn't stand them last time. I feel like this is a less damaging style than my usual cinnabun tied with an elastic, especially since I use elastic to pull my hair up most days, because it's quick and easy.

But i'm slowly discovering hair sticks forks, different kind of gentler clips and stuff. So maybe some nights I can wear my cinnabun if I didn't use an elastic that day :) I am sad I had to stop using my favorite hair clip because it was metal :/ I didn't know how damaging it was to my hair.