PDA

View Full Version : Any Nanny Pauline Routine Followers out there?

Rilig
December 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I came across this thread : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387

It describes the routine of Gladtobemom's Nanny Pauline. She had hair to her shins and wore it in a crown braid everyday. She washed her scalp every 10 days with diluted pine tar soap, washing her length every 3-4 weeks. Between washings, she used what she called Airing Powder. Overall, she had a very Victorian/Edwardian hair routine, in my opinion.

Does anyone happen to follow Nanny Pauline's routine or some variation? How has it helped/hurt? I'm gonna start this once I can go buy some soap.

stachelbeere
December 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I made the airing powder back in spring. I didn't have some of the ingredients - I had no honey EO and no orris root powder - I tried to find it to no avail. But I added fresh jasmine and rose petals to my corn starch and some other EOs such as mint and lavender as far as i remember. The fragrance of all these combined is DIVINE... it's so fresh minty and flowery (I used a LOT of petals).

I stopped using dry shampoo at some point but I recycled the corn starch and made deodorant from Crunchy Betty's blog using coconut oil. The fragrance of the powder and the coconut - MOAAAAR DIVINE. I could seriously use this as perfume, it's really beautiful.

Anyway - when it comes to the actual airing powder - the corn starch must have soaked up some of the moisture from the petals (I know she used dried ones...) as it would stick in clumps an wouldn't easily come out of my 'shaker'. I think it worked just as well as regular corn starch. Then again I didn't stick to the original recipe.

ravenreed
December 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I made a jar of the airing powder, using honey essential oil instead of absolute. I find it a bit gritty for my taste. It does smell wonderful, however.

sumidha
December 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
While I don't use the specific products mentioned (that airing powder sounds so amazing it makes me wish I used dry shampoos) I think her philosophy for growing long hair is 100% spot on.