PDA

View Full Version : Second day waves?

LisaB234
December 9th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I am finding with modified Curly Girl I can wear my hair down the second and third day. In the winter I would prefer not to rewet. My hair doesn't look bad but seems dull. Ideas on what I could put on the top layer only to add shine and smooth the waves a bit?

biogirl87
December 9th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Lisa, I know this would go against conventional wisdom, but when my hair was longer (and the waves more pronounced, they tend to be not as prominent when my hair is shorter), I found if I brushed my hair twice a day (morning and night) with a ball-tipped brush and washed my hair no more often than every four or five days, it gave a bit of shine to my hair and smoothed the waves a bit but still left my hair wavy. I have no idea how to get shine and slightly smooth waves with Curly Girl method since my scalp thought it was the worst idea anyone ever came up with (I know it isn't as it works for many people but my scalp hated it). Now that my hair is shorter, it is probably similar to your hair type as it behaves best when I treat it like straight hair.

arielįgua
December 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
It's funny I have the same opinion as biogirl87

If I comb my waves they feel a lot softer and fluffy/tamed. If I don't or if I overdo my conditioner my waves feel crunchy and glued together making it look sort of greasy and not healthy shine.

Although I am a wavy (2a) Curly Girl Method doesn't work for my hair and is a disaster in my scalp.

You could try maybe a leave-in conditioner on the waves to help adding shine and smooth? Or maybe try using hair-mousse/gel if you don't mind using styling products. :)

lapushka
December 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I am finding with modified Curly Girl I can wear my hair down the second and third day. In the winter I would prefer not to rewet. My hair doesn't look bad but seems dull. Ideas on what I could put on the top layer only to add shine and smooth the waves a bit?

I'd try a refresher spray. Jessicurl makes one, but you can easily make one yourself with water, a splash of conditioner and/or glycerine. You'd need to experiment with the amounts (but do use mostly water).

Do *not* brush your hair, unless you want to wear an updo.

long&blonde
December 9th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I just rub a pea size portion of Africa's 6 oils all over my palms,then all over my head/scalp-starting at ends,so more oilgoes there. Toss head upside down & back up, gently work out any tangles with fingers.

biogirl87
December 9th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I'd try a refresher spray. Jessicurl makes one, but you can easily make one yourself with water, a splash of conditioner and/or glycerine. You'd need to experiment with the amounts (but do use mostly water).

Do *not* brush your hair, unless you want to wear an updo.lapushka, I do not think you should tell Lisa to not brush her hair if she wants to wear it down, especially since two members on this thread have said that brushing or combing works for them. On my hair, my brush is the only tool that gives me volume (which I want) and keeps some of my waves (yes, my brush loosens my waves a bit but makes them really pretty as well). I almost like my brushed out waves better than the waves in my hair that have not been touched because it gives me sleek waves without silicones, oils, or any other products.

DweamGoiL
December 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I think Lapushka said this because the CG method is a no brush method and if you spritz your hair, you don't want her brushing it while it's wet and most vulnerable. For me, if I brush my waves, they pretty much will go away. When I use a refresher spritz in the Summer, I don't brush it out. I may comb a bit if it's a bit unkempt, but no brush or else it turns into a frizzy ball of poof!

lapushka
December 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I think Lapushka said this because the CG method is a no brush method and if you spritz your hair, you don't want her brushing it while it's wet and most vulnerable. For me, if I brush my waves, they pretty much will go away. When I use a refresher spritz in the Summer, I don't brush it out. I may comb a bit if it's a bit unkempt, but no brush or else it turns into a frizzy ball of poof!

Exactly, the CG method. It's the *very* first thing you learn as a wavy and curly, *never* brush your hair when it's dry. A refresher spray is to dampen and liven up the curls somewhat, to get rid of the poofiness and fluff that may have arisen from sleeping on it for instance.

biogirl87
December 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Exactly, the CG method. It's the *very* first thing you learn as a wavy and curly, *never* brush your hair when it's dry. A refresher spray is to dampen and liven up the curls somewhat, to get rid of the poofiness and fluff that may have arisen from sleeping on it for instance.Lapushka, I realize this may be getting off, but then what would you say about my hair: it flattens and looses volume when I sleep and when try to dampen and "liven up the curls" and brush is the only thing that detangles my hair and gives me the volume I want. Would this mean I am not a wavy or what since I get waves in my hair when it gets to below shoulder length?

lapushka
December 11th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Lapushka, I realize this may be getting off, but then what would you say about my hair: it flattens and looses volume when I sleep and when try to dampen and "liven up the curls" and brush is the only thing that detangles my hair and gives me the volume I want. Would this mean I am not a wavy or what since I get waves in my hair when it gets to below shoulder length?

Just because you are a wavy doesn't mean you *have* *to* follow CG rules. If you want to brush, then that's fine, but it's not what's generally advised to wavies/curlies. It's not what's generally accepted as "okay". :)

My hair is detangled once. Once! Just before a weekly wash. Combed. Brushed. Then washed, and combed again when damp and freshly out of the turbie towel. It's not knottier because it's only detangled once a week. On the contrary. As the week progresses, the waves fall out, making the tangles fall out a bit as well, which is why detangling once is never troublesome or more of a problem. You do have to be committed to the method, though. And that is *key*! Often what's been learned over a number of years can't be un-learned in seconds, months even. But after seeing how well my waves perform with adhering to CG rules, I have never turned back. Yes, sure, my waves are fluffy and poofy sometimes, that just goes with the territory, but I don't go brush mad when that happens (to make it even worse).