PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust...

Lucky
March 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
http://offtherack.people.com/2008/03/18/gwyneth-chops-off-her-locks-love-it-or-hate-it/

*le sigh*

She's a lovely woman so I don't think she looks bad, but it's a shame that she probably got pressured into cutting off her beautiful long hair.

FrannyG
March 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Well, I still think it looks pretty. She had the same hair length and style for so long that she probably needed a change. Don't be surprised if you see her longer locks back in a year or so.

ChloeDharma
March 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I'm not being horrible but....is it just me or does her hair look a bit fried? That looks like some serious blonding there.....maybe her length couldn't take it?

She still looks great though and her hair has that "long look" to me so it wouldn't take long to have long hair again.

Sarahmoon
March 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM
It looks a bit frizzy but not that bad. I liked long better but it could be it ws just combed more smoothly in other pictures. Hard to compare.

Red Jezebel
March 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Articles like this and YouTube have one thing in common - never read the comments, it'll make your blood boil at the callousness of people. By end of page two there's been the obligatory donation comment, of course, and then there was this:

Honestly, at a certain age women start to look ridiculous with long hair (even Gwyneth Paltrow) and hers was beyond just “long hair” it was practically waist length. This is much more mature and classy.

:hatchet:

Idiot.

Wow, my perception is completely off, must be this place :D, I'm only starting to think of my hair long now and it's TB length.

ChloeDharma
March 19th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Articles like this and YouTube have one thing in common - never read the comments, it'll make your blood boil at the callousness of people. By end of page two there's been the obligatory donation comment, of course, and then there was this:

Idiot.

Wow, my perception is completely off, must be this place :D, I'm only starting to think of my hair long now and it's TB length.

Oh i stopped careing about what those people say, um, actually i never really did. The rubbish that you hear has to just make you laugh really. You and your hair look great......honestly, don't pay any attention! (That goes to anybody else who lets comments like that bother them too)

almudena
March 19th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Oh yes, I saw it yesterday at jusjared and the comments regarding her previous long hair were terrible (rat's nest, seems like she finally took a bath, ugly mop....)

I think she looks equaly great with long and short hair. She has one of those faces which suits short hair (as Halle Berry) but I loved the fact that she was a kind of long hair's representative and has had long hair for quite a time.

k_hepburn
March 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Like everybody, Gwynneth Paltrow is free to cut her hair, or grow it long again, as she pleases.

That said, I was quite surprised when I saw the picture for one because while she changed the length, she didn't really change the look (it still frames her face exactly the same way as before), and secondly because to me it seems a rather bad cut. It looks like some incompetent hairdresser was trying to achieve an Anne-Heche-Style layered look but couldn't. On top of that her hair is really quite poorly styled in this picture - random hairs going in all directions.

As for the usual barrage of comments about age and appropriate hair length: the only explanation I can come up with for that is that obviously some people seem to feel the need to get others to conform to stereotypes they have themselves chosen to conform to, such as the middle-aged essentually non-sexual short-, preferably helmet-haired woman. Any memory that the long-haired Gwynneth Paltrow only yesterday was considered an epitome of female beauty they have already conveniently supressed in their quest to fit everybody into the same (short haired) mould.

katharine

Marianne
March 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Idiot.

The comments usually make me laugh. There are several on that page which say how bouncy, full of life and healthy her hair looks now. :ponder: Her hair looks rather damaged to me, and nothing like what I would consider "bouncy".

I just looked up some photos of her with long hair for comparison, which I think looks lovely. This cut suits her well too, though. I just wouldn't call it healthy looking.

Shanarana
March 19th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I don't really care for it, looks a bit unkept.

BrianaFineHair
March 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Short? To "me" that is long. Of course, look at my picture and you'll understand why I think that is still long hair. :D

florenonite
March 19th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I think her hair's rather damaged, so the cut was probably good for it, as the same amount of chemical damage is worse in longer hair simply because it's compounded with damage from daily wear and tear. However, it's still longish, and not a 'soccer-mom' cut.

squiggyflop
March 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
perhaps her ends were really damaged and she had to cut them off?

jojo
March 19th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ok it looks a bit damaged but i think she suits it, its only hair it grows!

Silver & Gold
March 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Idiot.

I stopped listening a long time ago to how women my age should behave. It's pure silliness and I truly think these things are made up by people who have forgotten how to live and want to make certain all the rest of us fall in line so that they won't look like they're old and have given up.

I have close friends my age, 10-20 years older and one of my dearest friends is 19 years younger than I am. And what do we all have in common? We are ageless. We have no trouble admitting our ages but we won't have others tell us how we should be at any age.

vindo
March 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Honestly, at a certain age women start to look ridiculous with long hair (even Gwyneth Paltrow) and hers was beyond just “long hair” it was practically waist length. This is much more mature and classy.

Idiot.

People like that will really hate me then once I pass a certain age...:lol:

magicatt
March 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
That said, I was quite surprised when I saw the picture for one because while she changed the length, she didn't really change the look (it still frames her face exactly the same way as before), and secondly because to me it seems a rather bad cut. It looks like some incompetent hairdresser was trying to achieve an Anne-Heche-Style layered look but couldn't. On top of that her hair is really quite poorly styled in this picture - random hairs going in all directions.

I thought maybe she got a cut by a stylist who had no idea how to work with straight hair. I've had that happen so many times that I can recognize the signs. Straight hair does not curl if you cut little messy layers in it.

rhubarbarin
March 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
It kinda makes me mad, but in the end it just makes me laugh, the way people are so obessed with other people's hair, and the length and style of it, and how they all say the same exact same things.

'women beyond x age look ridiculous with long hair'
'woman beyond x age with long hair are trying and failing to look younger'
'long hair ages you' ^contradiction!
'long hair is only for little girls'
'hair beyond x length looks straggly/limp/messy/boring/drags down your face' even when it's obvious from a picture that it doesn't.
'a short haircut looks fresh/modern/updated/young/hip/edgy/classy/put-together'

I could write a book of cliches, seriously. I've heard them all before, and I'm embarassed for people that believe they thought of them themselves.

vindo
March 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM
-rhubarbin

I also read through some comments..what also shocked me is the people that just post a
"she should have cut it shorter, [b]I hate long hair[/]" comments...*creepy*

and I agree on the chliches..its so annoying.

I thought maybe she got a cut by a stylist who had no idea how to work with straight hair. I've had that happen so many times that I can recognize the signs. Straight hair does not curl if you cut little messy layers in it.

Yup straight hair doesnt do that. I had some really bad layers in the past. In the end they had to cut chunky layers for it to even show. My hair just looked tapered after actually :uhh:...well I have grown most layers out to waist luckily ^^

Xanthippe
March 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Here are some before and after shots: http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/shoulder-length-hairstyles/19032008/gwyneth-paltrow-gets-her-long-hair-cut/545

I think she looks beautiful either way. The bottom picture in the above link makes it look really good short though.

Exodus
March 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
And here I come... I actually think she looks much better with this shorter hair. Not everyone looks best in long hair.

maskedrose
March 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
k hepburn - I totally agree with you - it still frames her face in exactly the same way as when it was longer. I think it looks okay short, but it's definitely a bit too messy and damaged looking for my taste. I think she's actually pretty dark blonde naturally, so lightening her hair that much is definitely damaging!

PatGear
March 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't think she looked bad with long hair, but I like the shorter look a bit better on her. :shrug:

Feisty Redhead
March 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Articles like this and YouTube have one thing in common - never read the comments, it'll make your blood boil at the callousness of people.

Agreed. I just made the mistake of taking a peek at the comments about Miley Cyrus's new 'do (I can't help myself that girl is adorable, my niece has me totally hooked on her music and show...) and I couldn't believe some of the things that were being said.

Back on topic though, I think Gwyneth's new 'do looks pretty. Sure in that particular pic it may not look it's best but we ALL have bad hair days and to me that pic just shows she's a regular person like the rest of us, who's hair is not always perfectly in place. I like it.

sweetlidlred
March 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I thought when I saw the title that her hair would be in a pixie cut. I think she looks beautiful and agree with the other girls that it would not take her that long to grow it long again if she wants.

girlcat36
March 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I liked the long hair. Speaking as someone who has great difficulty growing long hair, I always wonder why someone with long pretty hair would cut it.

Unofficial_Rose
March 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I think it suits her either way, but I've a slight preference for the new look.

Love the colour too - yes, you get some damage to have this sort of colour, but it's stunning.

ole gray mare
March 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM
She's so pretty but now she has pretty ordinary hair. It's still lovely and she's still gorgeous. But her hair looks ordinary now, whereas before it stood out. That's the thing about long hair to me, it stands out. "Updated" is just code for "average" if you ask me.

That said, she really cannot go wrong, no matter what. I think she has a lovely spirit that shines through.

domonic_uk
March 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Some of the length might have been extensions anyway

kwaniesiam
March 19th, 2008, 03:59 PM
She looks good with both, but I prefer it longer (provided it was real and not extensions). The comments people make are ridiculous, mostly fueled by jealousy. I think it's funny. Really, I'd take short healthy hair over long damaged hair though.

spidermom
March 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Look at that great cloud of fly-aways that she has! That should make all of us feel pretty terrific about our own "stand-up-and-wave" short hairs.

NormaRose
March 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Here are some before and after shots: http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/shoulder-length-hairstyles/19032008/gwyneth-paltrow-gets-her-long-hair-cut/545

I think she looks beautiful either way. The bottom picture in the above link makes it look really good short though.

I think her shorter hair looks adorable in this picture! My hair is currently a similar length to the pre-haircut picture and I am sooooooooooo frustrated with the taper. Lately I have been considering a similar cut, with the intention of keeping my ends nice and thick as I grow it back out.

Carolyn
March 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Of course she is free to choose a new style just a we or anyone else is. My opinion is it's boring that length. Before it was drop dead wow and now it's just regular plain old shoulder length hair. Nothing really nice or spectacular about it. It's just OK hair. Meh.

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I prefer her hair longer, that's just me.

psvzum
March 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I like it on her : )

coppercurls
March 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
:cool:
I love how people's idea of long hair contradicts each other ~
:luke:ex: One poster commented that it was time that she cut, "she's not 21 anymore" & yet further down someone else posted how the long hair made her look "older".

So which is it?:p

If she likes it, bully for her!

yogachic
March 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I don't think it looks much different. Its still long to me.

Nat242
March 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Meh. I couldn't really care less what Ms. Paltrow does with her hair. I hope she enjoys her new cut, but I don't have a opinion on it.

-- Natalie

MadPirateBippy
March 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Idiot.

I once read a Penny Arcade strip that said basically that normal people + anonimity of the internet = raging butthead. In less polite terms. YouTube is great proof of this.

I don't think my hair is long either, and I'm at waist length.

manderly
March 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I was expecting her old pixie cut. Remember that hair? I think she looked fabulous with the short pixie 'do.

Her long hair always bored me. Stick-straight white-blond and over processed.....meh.

This look is really kind of crummy looking. Looks like mine on a bad hair day walking through a wind tunnel then I don't comb it.

DecafJane
March 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I liked her hair best when it was really long and healthy-looking, and there were soft waves through it.
The flat-ironed look just made it look lifeless and dull.
I think her hair grows well naturally, so if she doesn't like it she can just grow it back really quickly.
If you want a big change, it is a VERY sensible length to go for - you can still tie it back so if you hate it, it isn't too painful. :)

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I agree. I liked it best long and wavy. The shorter looks better than the long, very straight look in my opinion.
But I'm just a 1b person who usually likes waves better :oops:

Pixel Gypsy
March 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I like the way Gwenyth looks with just about all hair lengths. Loved her hair short (as it was in Sliding Doors) and loved it long. She's just so darned pretty that any length looks good on her. I'm not afraid of scissors though...I've had my hair very short (pixie-ish) and I've had it long (well, long to me....never gotten to waist length...yet!).

I get incredibly annoyed by the idea that hair should be worn at certain lengths due to age.....if you're 30+ it should be shoulders or above, or that little girls should have long hair and shouldn't wear it short. :rolleyes: How about everyone wearing their hair how they like it.

I do think, though, that some people have faces that are better suited for certain lengths. Someone mentioned Halle Berry....I think she just has a short hair face....when it's short I think she looks very striking. When it's long she doesn't stand out as much IMO.

k_hepburn
May 19th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hah, here we go again:

No sooner has Gwynneth chopped off her long locks (to a chorus of applause), what do we see: new pictures (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=567084&in_page_id=1773) of her in a kind of "don't call me mumsy" raunchy makeover with hair that is obviously considerably longer than her current shoulder length cut. Of course there is the possibility that these pictures were delayed by (looking at the starting date of this thread) more than two months, but somehow I doubt it. The hair in these pictures doesn't look real to me, it has me wondering if this is a wig we are seeing, rather than just extensions. (And, I really don't want to be snippy, so don't get me started on that bathing suit (?) she is wearing in the picture.) So now it's off to get extensions for all of those women who were encouraged to follow Gwynneth's example?

Greetings

katharine

Blueneko
May 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I think her hair looks fried with a broken hair halo. I do not like it.

I liked her Iron Man hair. Was that a wig?

Katurday
May 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe she didn't need a change.
She could have simply chopped the damage off.
It has that look of long hair, so I'm assuming if she wanted to be trendy, she would have done a Pob or a Rhianna.
Her cut is actually very long hair growing optimal.

MoldyCake
May 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I actually think it looks good on her, I think some low lights instead of the bright blonde would be better on her, with her skin tone and all. Her long hair was beautiful though. I hope she's happy with it.

Aqualily30
May 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I don't like the new look. Shame I think she had such beautiful healthy looking hair before.