PDA

View Full Version : "I vow to never cut my hair again!" challenge

Pages : [1] 2

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Okay I don't know if this has been done on the LHC before but basically if you're doing this challenge, you vow to never cut your hair again (unless for trims -preferably dusting- every now and then)
The #1 rule is: No big chops (more than 1 inch is big)
Who's up for it ? Should be pretty easy since we're all long hair fanatics in here lol :)

Ps: People with medical conditions get a pass if they feel the need to chop all their hair off (chemotherapy, thyroid problems, alopecia..)

Madora
December 9th, 2013, 09:57 AM
"Should be pretty easy"....made me smile:) because caring for long hair is not as "easy peasey" as you might think. The growing part is easy...it's the rest of the process that can be problematic.

Boredom sets in after a spell because unless you are good with hair styling, having long hair loses its appeal over a long period of time (unless you are truly dedicated to keeping it long).

For most of us, there comes a time when hair must be cut because it becomes a handful to manage and style. Once your hair is past your fingertips, you'll see what I mean!

I think it takes a really dedicated mindset...and tons of patience...to have super long hair...over an extended period of time (12 years and longer). A few here have done that and my hat's off to them...but not many people have the dedication for such an endeavor.

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
"Should be pretty easy"....made me smile:) because caring for long hair is not as "easy peasey" as you might think. The growing part is easy...it's the rest of the process that can be problematic.

Boredom sets in after a spell because unless you are good with hair styling, having long hair loses its appeal over a long period of time (unless you are truly dedicated to keeping it long).

For most of us, there comes a time when hair must be cut because it becomes a handful to manage and style. Once your hair is past your fingertips, you'll see what I mean!

I think it takes a really dedicated mindset...and tons of patience...to have super long hair...over an extended period of time (12 years and longer). A few here have done that and my hat's off to them...but not many people have the dedication for such an endeavor.

I know what you mean, my hair is pretty short right now though and I'm really dedicated to growing it long so the no-cutting part seems easy to me :) I hope I won't get bored of my hair after it reaches my goal length !

woolyleprechaun
December 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I couldn't make such a vow :) I'm dedicated to long hair, but my almost hip length hair is already becoming troublesome. I would love to know what it feels like to have super duper long hair, but until I'm there, I wont know what I think of it....

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I can do this currently. I'm wanting to reach mbl by next year. I just don't think I can do this long term.

bubblyredhead
December 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I am in until I hit TBL or so then I am switching to maintaining, although if I just trim an inch every couple months then that isn't a big chop and would keep me around TBL when I get there and my ends would stay fairly healthy that way. hmm yes yes I am in.

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I couldn't make such a vow :) I'm dedicated to long hair, but my almost hip length hair is already becoming troublesome. I would love to know what it feels like to have super duper long hair, but until I'm there, I wont know what I think of it....

WOW your hair looks amazing !

I am in until I hit TBL or so then I am switching to maintaining, although if I just trim an inch every couple months then that isn't a big chop and would keep me around TBL when I get there and my ends would stay fairly healthy that way. hmm yes yes I am in.

Awesome :D

I can do this currently. I'm wanting to reach mbl by next year. I just don't think I can do this long term.

Well you can replace 'never' by 'for one year' ;) I'm sticking with the never though lol

Stray_mind
December 9th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I am in. I allways end up cutting my hair to shoulder lenght or shorter and then regreting it.

kganihanova
December 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hmm, I can commit to this for a time but no promises beyond that. Its just so hard to predict what's life's gonna throw at you :)

Andeee
December 9th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'm in. I can do it. I've already cut due to boredom a couple of times and regretted it. I got long layers and regretted it. I cut due to thinking I was getting 'too old for long hair' and now I know better. I cut due to loads of it falling out because of extreme anemia. I was heartbroken.

So at the moment it is hip length and healthy again (from mid-back down it's thinner due to the hair loss). If I feel my ends are super dry and oiling and deep conditioning *isn't* helping enough I will trim the maximum allowed--one inch. I can always trim another inch a few months later, if necessary (I probably won't trim for quite a while, though).

I vow to get more creative with buns and updos so boredom doesn't set in!

mariakatija
December 9th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I am joining! I have always chopped my hair off and I need to stop this. It's been almost 3 years since my last chop and I will never do it again! It is too painstaking to grow out your hair. It takes years to have it super long but seconds to cut it. I will only trim it monthly if I want to lose length, which won't be for a while.

patienceneeded
December 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm in until I reach TB and then I will re-evaluate. I will still trim 2x a year, but will be sure to limit my trims to 1" or less. I'm at *can I call this waist* again after a 4" chop...TB is about 6" away (I have a very short torso). So, I guess I'll do this for about a year or 18 months. I should be at or near TB by then if I keep from trimming.

Glad I saw this after I cut my new bangs last night. I needed a change and missed my bangs. Now I can leave my hair alone until a minor trim sometime in March.

lapushka
December 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Isn't this thread about the same as the "no trimming challenge" thread? ;)

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Isn't this thread about the same as the "no trimming challenge" thread? ;)

Yes to trimming (occasionally and if needed) no to big chops

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I'm in. I can do it. I've already cut due to boredom a couple of times and regretted it. I got long layers and regretted it. I cut due to thinking I was getting 'too old for long hair' and now I know better. I cut due to loads of it falling out because of extreme anemia. I was heartbroken.

So at the moment it is hip length and healthy again (from mid-back down it's thinner due to the hair loss). If I feel my ends are super dry and oiling and deep conditioning *isn't* helping enough I will trim the maximum allowed--one inch. I can always trim another inch a few months later, if necessary (I probably won't trim for quite a while, though).

I vow to get more creative with buns and updos so boredom doesn't set in!

That's the spirit :D If you need to cut the 'unhealthy' part for a fresh start feel free to do so though ;)

Seeshami
December 9th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I really want to join but once we get to classic I think I might loose my mind an cut back to tail bone so it would be making a vow I know I could very likely be breaking. Unless I stay the same kind of crazy and decided a change of mind isn't needed yet. I just feel it, some day Mess and I are going to decided it is time to cut some.

The Naughty Mess says, "You could shave me off and give me to some one who loves me?"

......Stop being dramatic.

Tini'sNewHair
December 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM
You are asking for terminal lengths here young miss :p I kind of have a different plan, I want to have healthy hair so each time i reach a milestone (new lengths like waist...) I stop there for a while to mantain, I havent yet decided on how much i will cut off tho... I still have (hopefully) 6 or so months until i get there so still time to think. Cheers.

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM
WOW your hair looks amazing !

Awesome :D

Well you can replace 'never' by 'for one year' ;) I'm sticking with the never though lol

I'm in for a year. It's a good time I can't find my shears. I needed to trim a small split off and got to thinking my coach must have pitched my new shears.

me_random
December 9th, 2013, 10:27 PM
i'm in too, even though i have to fight society's outdated gender rules, i've not cut my hair for 10 years already, but without the benefit of different styles (just a ponytail, and twisted buns lately) should be interesting :)

livelycurls
December 9th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Im joining, really need this. I will not cut it for at least 3 years, only trims if needed. Then I'll see if a keep the length or go longer.

truepeacenik
December 10th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I really want to join but once we get to classic I think I might loose my mind an cut back to tail bone so it would be making a vow I know I could very likely be breaking. Unless I stay the same kind of crazy and decided a change of mind isn't needed yet. I just feel it, some day Mess and I are going to decided it is time to cut some.

The Naughty Mess says, "You could shave me off and give me to some one who loves me?"

Stab that Mess with a hair stick.
Pest.

Ferngear
December 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I don't know about never ever ever again, but I'll be in for a year at the least! I've only chopped my hair short twice in my life (I'm almost 34 now) so I'm not big on changing my look. I actually cried the last time, it was so pathetic. I'm almost to TBL right now, and aiming for classic length or terminal, whichever comes first! Never had it that long, though, so I don't know if I'll want to cut it back once it gets there.

Flor
December 10th, 2013, 12:44 AM
I think NEVER is unrealistic for most people ;) I plan not to cut mine for a year, because I want to see how it'll look like at waist length. But I have no idea if I'll even like mine that long, so I'll cut it if I'm not happy with it.

RegretsHerCut
December 10th, 2013, 02:23 AM

LOL you cracked me up ! I guess I got it easier than you because my hair is so short that it will take me forever to grow to Classic, so I'm not in the "what am I gonna do with that much hair" mood yet !

Stray_mind
December 10th, 2013, 02:32 AM
I'm in. I allways end up cutting my hair to SL or shorter and allways wnd up regretting it, so i really need this vow..

RubyTuesday
December 10th, 2013, 03:07 AM

I agree. I have never had hair down to my finger tips but I can imagine that that becomes rather difficult :)
I don't actually want my hair longer than waist length (I am tall and it is going to take me ages to get there as am currently on shoulders) so I will cut it when necessary to keep it at that length. However, knowing how spontaneous I can be with my hair, I might easily get bored and chop it all off into a bob again. I hope I have learnt my lesson however, as I really prefer myself with long hair. I suit it and find it easier to deal with, as I can put it up in a bun and forget about it and not have to style it. But MY long hair is not the same as other people's long hair, as I have never gone past a few inches above waist.

Naima
December 10th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I'm in for a year. I haven't cut my hair from this may, only S&D once in a month or two. I'm on the "short side" still (just got to APL), so maybe I can go for even more than a year...

Lyv
December 10th, 2013, 03:31 AM
I can do a year for sure but maybe longer. I have bleached length that I'd like to be rid of but it's still pretty healthy so I'm not in a hurry and my hair grows really fast so I think if I chose 3 years my hair would probably be getting too long for me.

Stray_mind
December 10th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I chose five years for now. I don't know how it'll be afterwards :)

ProverbsGirl
December 10th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I voted 1 year. Mainly because I just had a micro trim after not cutting for about 13 months..and another year seems more than doable.
I get why people were shying away from saying they would never cut their hair again. I plan to never cut my hair above BSL ever again. But that doesn't mean I won't have to take a few inches off at some point.
anywho...I picked 1 year and do not plan to even touch it wil scissors (except my bangs) unless something unforeseen happens..like gum or unexpected damage. Hopefully that won't happen. lol I rarely use heat now and the last half inch i took off was from damage pre LHC.
Good luck with your poll!

hanne jensen
December 10th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I'm in! All my life I've chopped and 2 weeks later regretted it. I've always wanted to have extremely long hair. I've challenged myself to no trims for 1 year which ends in July. After that a small trim, but no chops. If I don't get my act together and quit chopping I'll never have really long hair.

Agnes Hannah
December 10th, 2013, 05:34 AM
yep, count me in. One year should get me to waist.

Ashflower89
December 10th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm in too. I actually swore of any cuts beyond trims after my pixie in May, so it's been 7 months now. I did vote "never", but I guess after reading all the comments about how much of a pain super-long hair can be, I'd probably just go for waist and then start cutting to maintain that length. Which will probably be about 4 years for me.

RegretsHerCut
December 10th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Okay ladies ! since the 'never' part seems to be pretty intimidating we'll maybe start with 1 year (that's what the majority wanted)
Feel free to share photos, tips, experiences.. anything basically :)
LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN !!

Andeee
December 10th, 2013, 06:01 AM
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/andee64/Saltaire047copy_zps25bea206.jpg (http://s877.photobucket.com/user/andee64/media/Saltaire047copy_zps25bea206.jpg.html)

That's from the end of September, the most recent photo I have at the moment. You can see how the bottom part is fairytailed and thinner due to hair loss from two and a half years ago. Other than that it's now thick and healthy again. I don't even want to do a little trim right now, just want to keep on growing!

BrightEyes
December 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I'm in :) I vow to not cut for a year, but only get dustings as needed. I'm in this cycle where I grow to shoulder length then get bored or discouraged and cut it into a chin length bob. I had my hair trimmed over the weekend. Thankfully I didn't cut to chin length, but I did have the stylist take off over an inch, which was more than I first intended. So I don't need to trim for awhile now. A year should get me past the frustrating shoulder length, then hopefully growing will be easier for me.

RedNymph
December 10th, 2013, 06:12 AM
I'm not cutting for another 3 years which is probably when my hair will have hopefully hit past waist length.

PeaceTeaRules
December 10th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Greetings! Count me in, no cuts for a year... seems like a really popular choice, my year challenge ends in June next year, though that may be extended. :)

I wish everyone good luck, I suppose. Challenge Accepted!! :D

lapushka
December 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Since a lot of us just trim, we seem to all fall under this challenge, it's just the regular way of doing things, or am I seeing this wrong? :hmm:

Scarlet_Heart
December 10th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I selected "1 year" but I'll commit to 2 (which wasn't an option). I added some layers about a month or two ago (and I think I see myself as always having a little bit of layering), but no more chopping actual length for me.

Sometime around March or April I asked my husband to trim 1"-2" off but he took more like 4"-5". :( So I'm growing that out currently. I think I have about 3" to waist. My ultimate goal is hip.

NO CHOPS 'TIL HIP!

Madora
December 10th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Speaking from years of experience, I offer these tips for your long hair growing journey:

1) Have TONS of patience. Never detangle your hair when angry
2) Learn new hairstyles so you don't become bored.
3) Practice, practice, practice
4) Keep your hair tools clean
5) Keep the ends protected in some manner
6) Less is more

Some strands of my hair are just touching knee, and while I'm thrilled that I've been able to grow this long, I know in my heart that knee length is just a tad too much for me because I enjoy braiding, and keeping the sections separate when you have ultra long hair (at least for me) is becoming a trial. So I'll keep growing until my b'day in May and then cut back a few inches.

I wish all of you success in your hair growing endeavors!

chen bao jun
December 10th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Congrats, Madora! It's very encouraging to hear you have hit knee!
Maybe I'll join this challenge later, but not right now. My ends are doing a little too much breaking these last two weeks and possibly I need a trim. I have damaged ends (old mechanical damage) and while I'm not willing to cut them off, every once in a while they do need a trim and I think that time is now.

Foxylocks
December 10th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I'll do it until my hair reaches fingertip. I have to experience such long hair first, and then decide if I want to cut it back to classic.

hanyo
December 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM
I don't think I've had my hair cut in about 15 years. I'm 38 now and cut it to shoulder length once in my early 20s. I've had a few very small trims but that's it. I don't know if I'll ever cut it again.

Lilybeany
December 10th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I'm in. Was planning on just SD when needed anyhow. About 12inches of my hair is damaged but I can manage.I'm in the #Grombre stage too..ie.Gracefully letting my ash brown/blonette /silver roots grow.I've ditched the dye totally.Although I'm at waist ,I'm intending to only dust ends to slowly get rid of bleach.I'm in no rush.Should be fun seeing a Gray/ash brown,bleach ombre or as I call it #Grombre.I like to shock and be different.less is more with my hair.My aim is the longest white/silver side braid ever.Count me in.

ravenheather
December 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I am in for five years. I am almost mid back. I am curious as to jow long my hair will grow.

JessicaAnn
December 10th, 2013, 08:58 AM
I'm down for five years because I really want to see how long it will go in that time. Before my last big chop a couple of months ago I had hair that was about 30 inches long that I grew from root to tip in about 34 months, so I'm genuinely curious to see how long it will grow. I grew up in a Pentecostal church, so it isn't at all unusual for me to know women who have never cut their hair in their lives and have had hair down to their knees or longer for decades. Myself, I didn't get my first haircut until I was 16.

I just need to get myself out of the mindset that I need a haircut multiple times a year. The girl I'm going to for my hair now has hair down to her waist and doesn't like to cut much off mine. She is a genius at layers and blending, though. So even my super thick hair is bouncy and manageable at longer lengths. She should have no problem holding me to one inch or less trims whenever I get my layers and ends touched up.

Of the Fae
December 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm in for three years! I deeeeeeeeeeeeeply regret my short short cut of three months ago and am going to grow it as far as possible!
I'll even try five though I'm not sure if I could stick it out that long.
My longest ends should be at waist in 3 years!

windyballoons
December 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I'm definitely in for 1 year, probably longer since I'm just starting to reach BSL and my goal is waist, we'll see what happens after that!

ositarosita
December 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'm in it until I reach tailbone ... so mayyyybe 3 years max... my DH did the math for me lol (using average yearly growth and the fact that I just don't cut it) ... however I do maintain the option of putting in fringe/bangs or layering but never doing anything more than a micro trim (hoping more for strictly S&D ) on the length

Demi-Plum
December 10th, 2013, 11:11 AM
My last "chop" was when I was 5...... and I have no intention of cutting it ever really. Maybe when I become too old to be able to handle it, but even then I know it will be very hard.

Marika
December 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm in for 5 years. I've done it before and had great results length-wise. I didn't even do any microtrimming back then. I hope I reach classic length in 5 years but healthy looking tbl will do too.

wrh452
December 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I voted 1 year. A year from now, I will see if the hair color faded enough. If it hasn't, I will do a big chop.

AmberJewel
December 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I chose three years. I've got a couple inches to go til waist now, and want to get to fingertip length. We'll see after that, but I never plan on having hair shorter than waist again. So yeah, I'm in!

Long_hair_bear
December 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I voted never. I'm tired of chopping it all off and then regretting it!

Avienda
December 10th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I voted never! I have put too much work and devotion into growing and keeping it really healthy to chop it! I've always loved really long hair, but didn't think I could do it until I found this forum!

Eniratak
December 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I voted never.
I haven't cut my hair for about eleven years now, so I guess I never will. :D

emilylightning
December 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I voted 5 years... but thinking about it all I want is to never have short hair again. I think the absolute shortest I'd go again is chin, and that's cutting it close [no pun intended... or was it? ;)] But never cutting it? That might not be possible for me. Makes me wish I had religious reasons to keep it or something, lol.
Until I get to my goal, I'm not chopping. I think If I get the urge to go short again, I'll cut slowly. I'd go to the last body marker and wait 2 weeks. If I'm not satisfied, up another body marker and so on until I'm satisfied and don't hate myself. Right now it's really easy for me to say "IM NEVER CUTTING MY HAIR AGAIN!!! ARRRG!!!" But in all reality, that's kindof silly. Definitely not going pixie-short again though, never again.

All my life, every time I've cut my hair, I just started growing it out again. I've never maintained a haircut, I don't have the money for that. I can almost guarantee that if I chopped, I'd regret it again. I always do. I'm just made to have long hair.

hanne jensen
December 11th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Having taken the Oath, maybe I'll finally get very long hair.

Can somebody who is good with words create an Oath for us to take? Something that we can remember and maybe with a little humor inserted?

Of the Fae
December 11th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Ahum hum hummmmm

"I hereby declare that, for a very very very long time, I will not chop of my luscious locks of awe and wonder. If I do, then may shame and sadness be upon me, and the rage of cheeses."?

RegretsHerCut
December 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM
you're welcome ladies ;)

katelinn
December 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I am in for 5 years. I have been at mid back/ waist since I was 14. That's 20 years of maintaining. This time I WILL get the length I always wanted..classic and onwards. I am very close to hip nowadays.

RegretsHerCut
December 12th, 2013, 02:36 AM
I measured last night and it's gonna take me 14 months to get to BSL (if my measurments are correct AND if I don't trim) but I want my hair to be TBL in the long run
I voted 5 years too even though I started this thread saying 'never'..

RegretsHerCut
December 12th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Having taken the Oath, maybe I'll finally get very long hair.

Can somebody who is good with words create an Oath for us to take? Something that we can remember and maybe with a little humor inserted?

What about this: (It's long so feel free to add/change/remove anything)

I do solemnly vow, to that which I value and hold most dear
That for a very very long time I shall not chop off my lovely mane, even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my magical strands with tender care and love and dimes.
If I do then shall shame and sorrow be upon me until the angel of hair absolves me.
I make this vow freely and upon my honor in front of my peers and my fellow long hair warriors.

hanne jensen
December 12th, 2013, 03:44 AM
RegretsHerCut, brilliant! I do so solemnly vow, to that which I value and hold most dear
That for 10 years I shall not chop off my lovely mane, even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my magical strandswith tender care and love and dimes.
If I do then shall shame and sorrow be upon me until the angel of hair absolves me.
I make this vow freely and upon my honor in front of my peers and my fellow long hair warriors.

This I do solemnly vow.

Sterlyn
December 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I like this thread, I really like the idea of being able to do reasonable trims as needed but no big chops, I am in. The massive chop I did 2 years ago cured me of any short hair fever I might ever have for as long as I live.

I voted 1 year, as I have no plans to do any trimming during that time unless my ends start seriously splitting or crumbling away. I am curious to see what my ends look like by then, as I have never gone that long without some sort of a trim.

VixenWolfMare
December 12th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Im in. I have never had short hair and i never plan to ever. my hairs pretty healthy now so i see no need for a big chop. i do dust my hair every 6 weeks though im very prone to split ends.

jessj48
December 14th, 2013, 01:45 AM
My next scheduled cut is in late October, and I haven't cut my hair properly in a few months. So I'll call that a year. I'm in.

Andeee
December 14th, 2013, 03:08 AM
I, Andeee do solemnly vow, to the God and the Goddess, the Lord and the Lady...

That for 5 years I shall not chop off my lovely mane, even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.

That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my magickal strands with tender care and love.

And with every inch of new growth I gain health and vitality in my hair, body, mind, and spirit.

I make this vow freely and upon my honor in front of my peers and my fellow long hair sister and brothers.

So mote it be!

PerkyCurlz
December 14th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I'm in the #Grombre stage too.
Grombre. I love this term! I'm a year into my "grombre", and I'm getting really confident with it.

I went a whole year without anything more than S&D. I didn't need to because I kept my hair up and ends protected. The ONLY reason I got 1-2 inches trimmed last month was due to the damage done by Hot Buns, which shredded the ends of my hair with just one use. :mad:

I'm in for three years, which should be long enough for me to get my "grombre" to a length I wouldn't mind cutting back to (or getting long layers to help blend it while it finishes growing out).

Andeee
December 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Grombre makes it sound almost hip and trendy! I am dyeing every 6 weeks for fear of any grey showing, but eventually I'm going to most likeley let it grow out. I don't want to cut any length so it will have to be grombre. I think it's just getting past that hideous stage of white / grey at the temples that just looks so 'old lady-ish' to me. I think once it's a few inches long it doesn't have that effect.

Fufu
December 14th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Great thread for me.

I grow my hair from neck length to near waist length.

And then I chopped off to bob and pixie..

now I intend to grow my hair long again... no cutting hair for me from now to last day of 2014.

Current hair length:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/48779185-4e7c-4c40-853d-a54930789daf.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/REfusion88/media/48779185-4e7c-4c40-853d-a54930789daf.jpg.html)

snakes&stuff
December 14th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'm going for 3 years :) According to my calculations, it should take around 2 years & 4 months to reach my tbl goal, but my hair seems to slow down significantly in the winter. If all goes as planned I'll be past my goal by the time I'm done!

kganihanova
December 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I think my financial situation is enough to keep me in this thread. Haircuts are expensive! Here's to a salon free 2014 :)

melesine
December 15th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I voted never. My current goal is classic but really I'd like to see how long my hair can get and be healthy. For years I've been around waist, I'd get about to hip and then be forced to trim back due to split ends and my drive for a blunt thick hemline. Since changing my routine about a year ago I'm not having the split end issues and now I've vowed to embrace fairy tale ends and give up the blunt hemline that drives me to trim. This week I noticed I'm just about to hip length.

Of the Fae
December 15th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Great thread for me.

I grow my hair from neck length to near waist length.

And then I chopped off to bob and pixie..

now I intend to grow my hair long again... no cutting hair for me from now to last day of 2014.

Current hair length:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/REfusion88/48779185-4e7c-4c40-853d-a54930789daf.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/REfusion88/media/48779185-4e7c-4c40-853d-a54930789daf.jpg.html)

Fufu, it seems we are in the same boat :) Nice to find a fellow shortie to grow with ^^ My goal is also at least waist and my longest hairs are just on the bottom of my neck! I also recently chopped almost MBL hair

SerinaDaith
December 15th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I don't really want to chop ever again, since I am growing for terminal this is more or less my plan barring medical need.

Ingrid
December 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I'm going for terminal as well. Might gradually trim off my dyed hair when I get to floor length or so :)

RainbowBowser
December 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I picked 1 year because I can't guarantee commitment (microtrimming and S&D shouldn't count).
But I've gone 4 years without stepping foot into a salon/big chopping so this won't be difficult for me.

constancev18
December 15th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I voted 5 yrs (2018!), which should take my hl-tbl hair to thigh-midthigh. Last time I cut was a yr ago and I had 2.5 inches of ragged edges cut off. It's still pretty even so I should be in good shape with a trim of under an inch every 1.5 yrs.

LauraLongLocks
December 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I accepted a 5-year challenge, as long as I can S&D and get dustings 4x a year. :) I have about 30 inches until my goal length, so yeah, it'll probably take me about 4 years or so to make it there.

Stormcast
December 15th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Since I did a giant chop in September, I am totally down for this! I just hope I don't get too itchy for a crazy color...

PixxieStix
December 15th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Alas, I know not how long I would be able to do this, I've tried the "No Trims in 201_" challenges and failed each time, because my hair does need a trim at least twice a year, sometimes three (less than an inch mind you), or I WILL get split ends. I do S&D on a regular basis, and almost exclusively stick to LHC approved hair care methods (braiding for sleep, forks and sticks, no elastics, wear hair up 95% of the time, coconut oil ends daily, etc.), but I do sometimes (once a month or less) will blow-dry on the lowest setting, or brush before I take the time to de-tangle. Plus, the ends of my hair are bleached and I'm positive that has something to do with it.

I do see a "no big chops" mentality being quite useful for those growing their hair out and have a hard time resisting the scissors though, and think this thread can offer a lot of support for people traveling down that path!

Fufu
December 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Fufu, it seems we are in the same boat :) Nice to find a fellow shortie to grow with ^^ My goal is also at least waist and my longest hairs are just on the bottom of my neck! I also recently chopped almost MBL hair

Good to have you too ^^ Can't wait to let our hair grows and reach our goals.

Lalital
December 16th, 2013, 01:08 AM
I'm in, I will NEVER cut my hair again. I lost mid-thigh hair and had to shave and the growing back journey has been painfully slow due to trusting hairdressers for too many years. I will S&D and micro-trim when needed. I'm at TBL now, when I reach classic I will maintain for thicker hemline, then onwards and downwards. As long as I have a good hemline, it can grow to the floor if it likes. No big chops, just maintain in good condition is a must.

Jesabel
December 16th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I took a 3 year challenge :) Only micro-trims for the next 3 years. By the end of 2016 I should have all virgin, hip-tailbone length hair. So exciting!

LadyCelestina
December 16th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Yesterday,we made a deal with dbf to grow our hair to knee,so I guess I'm in for until knee or at least close? :D

Of the Fae
December 16th, 2013, 03:31 AM
I keep having dreams about having really long hair all of a sudden... I'm so exited about not cutting XD
I really hope I can stick it out this time.
Maybe we can all post some progress pics too? Or is that too unfit for the thread?

LadyCelestina
December 16th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Maybe we can all post some progress pics too? Or is that too unfit for the thread?

I think if this "vow" is going to have a time frame,like 5 years,2 years,1 year,then progress pics would really fit in :)

Of the Fae
December 16th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought :) It helps motivate others that are not as far along in their vow.

veryhairyfairy
December 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I like this, I voted 'never'! :) I've been living this way for the last year and a half (no trims bigger than 1"), and even with damage from APL down, I'm happy with this hair-choice.

My plan is to maintain somewhere between TBL and Classic with 1/2"-1" trims for about 2 years, but that's allowed, right? The whole point of this is no big chops? After I cut out all of the pre-LHC damage, I don't see why I wouldn't just keep growing my hair as long as it wants to grow (and look alright). If it ever gets to be too much, I can always just start maintaining (or slowly going 1/2" shorter every month).

I, veryhairyfairy (aka Hippie-Potamus, aka Rasta-ceros) solemnly vow to never chop my hair again.

hannabiss
December 16th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I'm taking the 3 year challenge with no trims at all. In 3 years my hair will be Bsl. Let's do this.

hannabiss
December 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Ok just got out my tape measurer and it'll be lower back length. Tho the hair on top would be Bsl. Maybe at 3 years it would be a good place to even things out a bit. Tho I hate a blunt hemline so layers it will be.

~*~Aspen~*~
December 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM
(I don't wanna vote.)
Bumping-

fairylover46
December 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I voted "never." When I was growing up, I was in awe of Crystal Gayle's hair. Also thought Morticia Addams and the mom from the Munsters were super cool because of their hair. Whenever I have cut my hair I always regretted it. I am 46 so if I want floor length (or longer) hair I need to get started. I am at tailbone with long fairy tales and no splits because I always have oil in my hair. Almost always have hair in a protective updo. With all the tutorials, pictures, etc. on the web, there is no way I will possibly ever get bored with long hair. Haven't been to a hair salon in almost nine years and don't miss it at all. I know I can do this!! Good Luck and happy hair growing everybody!

YamaMaya
December 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I voted 3 years, because that's probably the amount of time it will take for me to reach my ultimate goal of classic, or at least come close to it. Once I reach my goal I'm going to see about maintaining until my hemline is thick and even.

summerseason
December 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Count me in too! This sounds fun and interesting. I was kind of already doing this to save money by not going to salon to get my hair cut whilst paying off debt. I'm going to see how long my hair will be by the time we are done paying it all off, which will (hopefully) be in a year.

I'm currently at waist length. So hopefully I'll be somewhere between hip and classic :)

Jstroud
December 16th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I voted for never. Not only have I been meaning to grow my hair for the past several years, but I realized that at $40/month (what I've been paying the salon) I could be saving for vacation and donating to charity.

I solemnly swear to never cut my hair again.

Let's do this :cool:

*I will only trim my hair occasionally for splits/damage and always the least amount possible.

see_turtle
December 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I voted for one year. I just got my first trim since October 2012 last week. She cut 3/4 of an inch and it feels so nice now I am just shy of BSL at 26.25"!
I am aiming for another year without any trims (no s&d either) and then I'll trim an inch or less. I should be to just past waist in one year(~32").

I do feel like this is a maintainable goal. I can't go forever without trimming or my hair gets crazy but a year is doable for sure. My long term goal is tail bone I've recently decided classic is likely too much upkeep for me. Tail bone will give me big buns and long braids but still be manageable when it's down.

gnome82
December 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone, I voted for three years. I have gone a whole year with just one cut, I am sure I can go three years with dusting or a 1 inch trim per year.

Kristal
December 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I'm never cutting again. My mom made me have short hair as a child, then I joined the military with even more hair related restrictions. I'm 17 months into my NEVER AGAIN and I'm not looking back!

emilylightning
December 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I've decided to make it official:
No chops until my hair is at least elbow [waist] length. I want the hair I had as a child again. Waist is 31'', and I'm at 21'' right now, so that's nearly 2 years. After I reach waist, I should either maintain or keep growing from there for a while. So I guess it'll be no big chops for 3 years for me!

If after that, I decide that long hair just isn't "me" anymore or something, I'll cut it.
I'm starting to feel like myself again at medium length, so perhaps If I chop again I'll go for a medium length cut.

Soullurre
December 17th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I've vowed to not cut my hair for 5 years since I've shaved it at least 9 times in 3 years. Time to commit.

alimc
December 17th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I'm absolutely up for this challenge. Although I do need to buy my own set of scissors so I can self trim.... Dear Santa...:p

Vampyria
December 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I could do this until I reach my goal length, so that would be for approximately 2 years. My "I'm just gonna trim/dust my not damaged ends a bit, because they seem a bit thinner than last month" usually becomes "Oh, s**t I'm above collarbone again". So, I'm planing to stop that and trim (not cut) just twice a year or so.

Mizumi
December 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately I can't. My ends are still damaged from about waist and I'm in progress of removing damage. Possibly when I'll have only few last thin centimetres of hair, I'll trim all at once so I might celebrate faster :)

ArienEllariel
December 19th, 2013, 05:45 PM
My hair is extremely healthy right now. I had a trim several months back and have only picked out a few fairy knots and splits starting. If you don't count cutting individual strands like that, I think I could definitely get away with not cutting for a year or more. I'm going to say 5 years because, hey, go big or go home. :p

mariakatija
May 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
It's been six months. How is everyone doing? I haven't trimmed and don't plan on it for a very long time. And definitely no chops! EVER!

MadeiraD
May 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM
While I do think I could do this (even long term) I grew my hair for about 12 years till I was 15, and I've had enough short cuts in my life, but I intend to grow it as long as it suits me

LauraLongLocks
May 7th, 2014, 08:44 PM
So far, so good. I haven't done any trimming. I definitely plan on a 1" trim in January, to bring my last layer just a teeny bit closer to my hemline. After that, it's straight ahead until TBL. When I reach TBL, I'm planning on quarterly trimming of about 1/4" - 1/2" until my face framing layers have caught up. Once those are all caught up, I'm going straight ahead to knee length, and once there, going back to quarterly trimming of 1/4" - 1/2" until my bangs are to my hemline. After that, I don't know what I'll do. But that's enough to keep me busy for a lot of years.

roseomalley
May 7th, 2014, 08:54 PM
One year, I am in. I will have three dustings though. Just dustings.

ReneeG
May 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I'm in! I've been growing out for nearly 2 years now, from an ear length asymmetrical bob that my husband talked me into getting (it was all damaged from the bleach that he also talked me into using anyways lol), until now where it is somewhere between APL and BSL.

In that time I highlighted once for our wedding, then did nothing but trims for a year (deployed with the Army to the Middle East, so no styling but buns daily anyways!) and then got home and DESTROYED all my shoulder/collar bone length gorgeous virgin hair with highlights, then a horrible friend who decided that instead of a light highlighting of the ends for ombre would bleach them white... and then coloring over it numerous times to blend it in, then highlighting it again later...

I'm slowly trimming out the damage, but with all the conditioning and oiling and protective hairstyles I have it in now I dont need to trim more than 1 inch at a time. I can definitely go a couple years without any big chops, I'm already 2 years into that :)

Rosa Harris
May 7th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Just growing - no trimming since it came back in. Just seeing how far it will go (or Ican deal with). I have had to cut in the past when I tore a rotator cuff about 15 years ago from BSL because I had no one to help me do my hair. Unexpected stuff happens. Otherwise I would really like to be like mt great gradma - white haired old lady with a huge bun and hair that hung to the floor when sitting down - and laid on the floor - but my mom did it for her every week, too. She died with that hair!

Aderyn
May 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Interesting. I'll join this challenge, and go for the 5 year mark. My hair has been doing just fine with just S&D for a year (and at least 6-8 months without even S&D in that time frame), so I see no need to cut. Might throw in some minor trims along the way if I don't want such a fairytaled hemline, though I doubt I'd even need that.

I don't know that I'd really consider this a challenge for myself, though, as it allows me to just be lazy and not have to worry about cutting my own hair, I like the fairytaled look on my hair.

MungoMania
May 7th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I'm in for 5 years and beyond. I haven't cut since joining LHC. As long as I can continue to trim to keep my hemline healthy.

Ruzovy
May 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
The poll is closed but I'm in for 5 years so long as I can trim to maintain my hemline at a decent thickness.

Dessi
May 8th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I'm in for at least 2 years. I'll be at Classic by then (hopefully). I don't think I'll ever cut my hair cuz the shortest I had it was Mid-back and it was too short for me but I may decide to chop back to TBL when I reach Classic.

Long_hair_bear
May 8th, 2014, 07:09 AM
I'm in for 5 years...... only dustings for me!

tbonita
May 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Can a shortie join!? I don't even care about the inevitable pixie grow-out mullet, my goal is BSL and I ain't cuttin anytime soon!!

SunnyIC
May 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Can I join? But instead of going for 1 year I would like to try at least 3 years (trying to get to goal so it will take a while). It will be fun to see how much my hair can grow in those years and if it will be any healthy without regular trims (I don't get a lot of split ends any more, but if I do I'll trim myself to keep it going).

AmyBeth
May 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I went for 29 years without a haircut, and never got "tired" of it. How could I tire of something I want with all my heart? Except that I didn't know how to really care for it, and maintained a false terminal of just past waist length. It's longer now than ever before, and still gaining length. No matter how long it gets, I'll figure out how to manage!:)

duchess67
May 8th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I went for 29 years without a haircut, and never got "tired" of it. How could I tire of something I want with all my heart? Except that I didn't know how to really care for it, and maintained a false terminal of just past waist length. It's longer now than ever before, and still gaining length. No matter how long it gets, I'll figure out how to manage!:)

AmyBeth, you went 29 years without a haircut, wow! My last hair cut was on May 21, 2013. Reading your posts inspires me. At times I feel my hair is growing so slow. I know patience is what I need the most when it comes to growing hair :)

jacqueline101
May 8th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Just checking in to say I'm not cutting my hair. I have s&d my ends but no cuts. I love this no cutting deal. I have 6.5 inches until waist. I'm happy. It's a mini goal and I feel like no cutting and proper care helped me along the way.

LauraLongLocks
May 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM
A man with a TBL ponytail advised me when I told him I was growing my hair out, "Stay away from scissors." That's pretty much all there is to it, I suppose. That, and good care.

roseomalley
May 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
An older woman (I am soon 68, but this woman was really old) told me, after I admired her crown braid, "You can have it too, just cutting your hair. " It sounded so easy at the time.

Sterlyn
May 11th, 2014, 08:01 AM
A man with a TBL ponytail advised me when I told him I was growing my hair out, "Stay away from scissors." That's pretty much all there is to it, I suppose. That, and good care.

Bolded mine;
It is ridiculous how long it took me to get that simple truth wrapped around my head. When I was growing it out from a pixie, I was terribly unhappy with how short it was, so I kept trimming it, thinking I would like it better. I didn't. :brickwall I know some folks need to trim keep their ends from splitting or crumbling, but this was never my situation.

I am still in this, my last trim was in July, still going strong. I have plans for a dusting to even up the stray ends in Jan, but unless my ends really need it no more than that.

hanne jensen
August 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM
Still not cutting, just dusting occaisonally to even up my hemline. I take my oath very seriously.

SummerCherie
August 23rd, 2014, 09:35 AM
My hair is at hip and it still feels so short to me. My last trim was in March Im going to wait until January for the next. I do s&d occasionally. Also I started drying my wet hair with a T-shirt and I notice alot less split ends. It really made a difference.

LauraLongLocks
August 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
I still haven't done any big chopping. I have trimmed about 1.5 cm in the last three months, however. I am trying to get rid of my last hemline layer, so I am trimming 5 mm every month until next summer and then I'll re-evaluate at that point.

maegalcarwen
August 23rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Totally in! I got my hair cut on the 28th of July, the hairdresser got way too excited... Howering above BSL now, planning not to touch the hair for at least half a year.. no trimming, because it always ends bad. Maybe s&d, but only if really necessary.

Amybeth, impressive! Do you have a picture? I am sooo curious!

lapushka
August 23rd, 2014, 10:37 AM
Last cut was November 2013. I'm going for TBL by Christmas. Still unsure whether I'll have a tiny bit cut at the end of the year - we'll see.

fišrildi
August 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
I'm joining this challenge, I don't want to ever cut my hair again (I never wanted to, anyway!). I'll either grow longer or maintain with trims, but I have no plans to ever chop off more than 1 inch. I want to be a very old woman with a very very long mane :)

cathair
August 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Finding this thread truly bizarre to be honest. It's titled, "I vow to never cut my hair again!".

Then it moves on to "I vow to never cut my hair again!*"
*but I can cut it as long as it's less than an inch

The it changes to "I vow to never cut my hair again!* **"
*but I can cut it as long as it's less than an inch.
**but that isn't going to be forever, just for 1 - 3 years.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Shouldn't it be called the 'No Big Chops Thread'? Because I don't seem to have much to do with not cutting trimming, just people saying when they are going to trim or cut or maintain. Sorry if that sounds grumpy :/

I'm not sure I could never cut my hair again. But I will be celebrating 5 years with no trims at the end of this month. I think it has actually passed 5 years already, but I can't remember exactly when in the year my trim was, other than it was summer. So I will be sure once summer is over.

Every time I try to convince myself to trim, I end up putting it off, or changing the way I measure where I should trim. I don't know if I ever will trim or not. I certainly can't even imagine a chop. I don't like the idea of it and I am not set on what I would hope to achieve from it if I ever did.

Red'N'Curly
August 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
I'm in until tbl. But I've never worn my hair curly past mid back, so at tbl I reserve the right to change my mind if I don't like it ;)

blue_eyes
August 23rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
I did a 'vow to not cut my hair for one year' a year ago and end up doing a bit of micro-trimming. I'm going to try to not cut it at all over this next year, but it's tough to resist when you're growing out dye-damage (which I am). I feel like I trimmed off too much micro-trimming, so maybe I'll just put the scissors down for a year & just enjoy gaining a good 6 inches of length! :)

LauraLongLocks
August 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
blue_eyes, I think the rules of the challenge said you could do small trims, nothing more than an inch. So, you are still within the challenge rules.

LauraLongLocks
August 23rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Finding this thread truly bizarre to be honest. It's titled, "I vow to never cut my hair again!".

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Shouldn't it be called the 'No Big Chops Thread'? Because I don't seem to have much to do with not cutting trimming, just people saying when they are going to trim or cut or maintain. Sorry if that sounds grumpy :/

I'm not sure I could never cut my hair again. But I will be celebrating 5 years with no trims at the end of this month. I think it has actually passed 5 years already, but I can't remember exactly when in the year my trim was, other than it was summer. So I will be sure once summer is over.

Every time I try to convince myself to trim, I end up putting it off, or changing the way I measure where I should trim. I don't know if I ever will trim or not. I certainly can't even imagine a chop. I don't like the idea of it and I am not set on what I would hope to achieve from it if I ever did.

Yes, you are probably right. It should be named, the "no big chops" thread. Ha ha!

Five years no trims, wow! Do you S&D, or just let it grow? I wouldn't like the FTEs I would get by not trimming at all, but that's probably because my hair is straight and I think that FTEs look much better on wavy/curly textures rather than straight. I accept this means slower length progress because I trim it back to keep a blunt hemline, but that's the trade-off.

blue_eyes
August 23rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
blue_eyes, I think the rules of the challenge said you could do small trims, nothing more than an inch. So, you are still within the challenge rules.

Excellent! :D In that case I think I'll try to keep going for another 2 years. :P

lapushka
August 23rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
I think it all depends on how much you cut. If you keep cutting an inch off every few months, then there's barely going to be growth. I doubt that that is meant by this challenge. I think rather an inch a year or something would still fall within this challenge, but not every few months.

RileyJane
August 23rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
This is something I've been commited to for 2 years straight; still going strong!:)

RegretsHerCut
September 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Hey :) When I originally started this thread, it was meant to be "never" (which I personally am committed to, I will s&d/micro-trim when I feel my hair needs it though, which it hasn't since I started this challenge) but if you read the first few responses you'll see that people weren't up for going a lifetime without CHOPPING their hair so the rules changed afterwards. In a way this is a challenge created by all the participants and the one big rule remains the same; no big chops ! As for the 1-3 year thing, everyone is free to pick a period that suits them, I just picked never.

Madora
September 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Never sounds great, but in practicality, once your hair reaches a point where you can't handle it effectively, it no longer holds the same appeal. Believe me, while I still love my 62" hair, growing longer is not an option. You need the patience of a saint and a lot of dexterity to handle hair of that length. The detangling alone is something to consider, not to mention the shampooing and conditioning.

bte
September 5th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry the poll is closed! I would have voted NEVER as I have not cut or trimmed for 20 years.

dogzdinner
September 5th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry the poll is closed! I would have voted NEVER as I have not cut or trimmed for 20 years.
wow! So how long is your hair after 20 years of dedication!?

I can easily vow not to cut mine for another 2-3 years because Im basically lazy and haircuts take effort!LOL I imagine that Madora is quite right...long hair is pretty easy to look after up to a certain length (easier then alot of shorter styles Ive had). Once its longer then your arms length it must start to become a PITA though!

LauraLongLocks
September 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
wow! So how long is your hair after 20 years of dedication!?

I can easily vow not to cut mine for another 2-3 years because Im basically lazy and haircuts take effort!LOL I imagine that Madora is quite right...long hair is pretty easy to look after up to a certain length (easier then alot of shorter styles Ive had). Once its longer then your arms length it must start to become a PITA though!

I think bte's hair has a very short terminal at APL or so I think.

I have taken what Madora says into consideration and have decided I won't try for more than knee length, at least at this point in my life. I don't know if I can even grow it that long, but I don't think I would ever want it longer than knee. I can't imagine being the owner of that much hair right now, although it does fascinate me and I admire those who do have their hair beyond knee length.

jacqueline101
September 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I still haven't cut my hair. I was almost ready to due to my ends being rough. But when I changed my routine my ends got better. I'm still in this challenge until my hair can't handle it or until I reach my goal of tailbone. I don't think I could handle hair much longer then that.

Sparklylady82
September 5th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I would have voted never as well!

gthlvrmx
September 5th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Im in! The only trimming i will be doing would be some S&D, is that ok? I'll never cut my hair again though it's so not super fun as I thought it would be XD

skeletonous
September 5th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I definitely want to do this! :) Though I'm not sure if I want to take another inch off the back to even it out with the sides while growing my pixie out to jaw length ( I feel like I've posted variations of that phrase so many times :lol:) so I'm not sure when!

ETA: After that I plan on only getting very small trims while I can't pull my hair over my shoulder to S & D; once I can S &D I plan on doing that until I reach my goal length (and beyond!). :joy:

brickworld13
September 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I've got some serious taper going on right now thanks to super shedding and regrowth. I'm not sure if I will trim to even the thickness or not. I only get/do a small trim maybe once a year. I mostly just ignore my hair. It's so much less stressful that way.

curlylocks85
September 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Okay I don't know if this has been done on the LHC before but basically if you're doing this challenge, you vow to never cut your hair again (unless for trims -preferably dusting- every now and then)
The #1 rule is: No big chops (more than 1 inch is big)
Who's up for it ? Should be pretty easy since we're all long hair fanatics in here lol :)

Ps: People with medical conditions get a pass if they feel the need to chop all their hair off (chemotherapy, thyroid problems, alopecia..)

I think I will take the 5 year challenge. I want to grow to classic and that will take about 5 years. At the end of December 2019, hopefully, I will have almost reached or, have reached classic. Happy growing. :)

Clarkie
September 14th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Sign me up please!! My last haircut was in March and it was a classic case of hairdresser NOT listening. I asked for long bangs and what I ended up with was short bangs and face framing layers. I have vowed never to set foot in a hair salon again.
My initial goal is 34 inches which on me is a little past waist, not quite to BCL. Once I get there in about 18 months or so, I will re evaluate. Classic would be awesome but as others have mentioned, one has to be able to handle their hair. I want my hair to be a source of joy, not a hassle. I check my hair often for split ends but so far don`t have any. If I develop them I will do S and D but that is all the cutting I intend to do for at least a year.

harridan
September 14th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I have vowed never to set foot in a hair salon again.

I did this when I was 11. I'm almost 28 now :D The last time I had a bigger chop was in 2001 and it was at home. Unfortunately, my hair is not the kind that can be easily grown long. First because it went from completely straight to curly, which shortened it significantly and second because it periodically goes through phases of crazy shedding so I have almost no chance to go beyond a certain length. Ah well... Maybe someday it will stop doing this and the vow to never chop my hair will lead to a nice long mane.

jacqueline101
September 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I still haven't cut or trimmed. I was going to dye streaks in my hair but opted for extensions. I'm happy I'm finding alternatives to bad hair practices. I know I got off topic but I think if I give up the bad hair habits I won't need to trim.

Knifegill
September 14th, 2014, 08:27 PM
This thread is almost a year old. How many made it?

And I can start now and go for a year easily, I'm only neck length - have a lot of "not cutting" to do if I'm going to get to ankle!

LauraLongLocks
September 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM
In the last year I have microtrimmed, but that is all.

Ingrid
September 14th, 2014, 11:18 PM
I didn't cut for 14 months, then trimmed 3cm, and for the past 4 months I've been micro-trimming 0,5cm.

Nightamin
September 15th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Count me in! I'd like to see if I could last a year - microtrims for the next 12 months it is!

Nymphea
September 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Sign me up please!! My last haircut was in March and it was a classic case of hairdresser NOT listening. I asked for long bangs and what I ended up with was short bangs and face framing layers. I have vowed never to set foot in a hair salon again.
My initial goal is 34 inches which on me is a little past waist, not quite to BCL. Once I get there in about 18 months or so, I will re evaluate. Classic would be awesome but as others have mentioned, one has to be able to handle their hair. I want my hair to be a source of joy, not a hassle. I check my hair often for split ends but so far don`t have any. If I develop them I will do S and D but that is all the cutting I intend to do for at least a year.

I did this when I was 11. I'm almost 28 now :D The last time I had a bigger chop was in 2001 and it was at home. Unfortunately, my hair is not the kind that can be easily grown long. First because it went from completely straight to curly, which shortened it significantly and second because it periodically goes through phases of crazy shedding so I have almost no chance to go beyond a certain length. Ah well... Maybe someday it will stop doing this and the vow to never chop my hair will lead to a nice long mane.

Me too - I was 11 and now I'm 31 - never set a foot again in the hair salon and been extremely happy with my hair for the past 20 years!

Unfortunately, I can't sign up for the challenge/vow. I get extremely scissor happy between the tailbone and classic and I always end up in waist to hip length, which is my favorite, I must admit. But I came to give a support to you - it's a great idea not to cut drastically when you are growing! :)

Edelweiss
September 15th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I haven't cut my hair even for trimming for one or two year I don't even remember. I don't care about fairytale ends so why should I trim to get perfect ends ? I don't see the point since I still want them to grow way longer than they currently are. I think when I have reached my goal then I'll start trimming again.

hanne jensen
September 15th, 2014, 05:45 AM
I'm still not chopping. I lasted 49 weeks without scissors nearing my head, not even S&D. 17 June this year I had a trim of 1.5 centimeters. I've just had a tiny dusting of .25 centimeter the 12th of this month. I committed myself to 10 years of no chopping.

momschicklets
September 15th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Well I never bothered to click on this thread until now because my goal is only BSL or WL hair, so I figured cuts were in my future. But now that I see you can commit to a couple of years, yay I'm gonna join! Pretty sure I can get to BSL in another year, and waist within 2 years...so I'm going to say I'm in for 3 years!

It will be a year this coming December since I've had a haircut and I've gone from neck length to about 3 inches below collarbone so far. I've already decided no more than a 1/2 inch trim per year to even things up.

veryhairyfairy
September 15th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I joined this challenge for forever, and so far I haven't even trimmed yet. Now I'm about to start maintaining with 1/2" trims, so still going strong.

hanne jensen
September 16th, 2014, 01:14 AM
momschicklets, goals have a funny way of changing here...When I joined I thought BSL was long hair. My goal is now terminal.

ghost
September 16th, 2014, 01:26 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say yes to this. I don't really ever see myself cutting off more than an inch at a time anymore. If it starts getting unmanageable I'll probably maintain with 1/2" trims, but no more big chops.

Agnes Hannah
September 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Last time I set foot in a salon was July 2013, and my hair was shoulder length. It is now "can I call this waist", and still growing. My plan is to get to hip then micro trim to get to tailbone

ReneeG
September 22nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
We'll its been 4 months since I've been on this thread and I'm only about a month away from BSL! I have only done micro trims and then just put in layers this month (left all the length and just trimmed the middle/top canopy to get rid of some old bleach damage and liven up my waves a bit) and am still going strong with no interest in doing more than microtrims :)

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
I trimmed an inch off my ends they were split badly and thin. I noticed since my trim my hair isn't as tangly. I'm happy for my trim. I think I will leave this thread. I wish the rest of you good luck.

ReneeG
September 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
I trimmed an inch off my ends they were split badly and thin. I noticed since my trim my hair isn't as tangly. I'm happy for my trim. I think I will leave this thread. I wish the rest of you good luck.

Well the challenge of the thread was to not make any BIG cuts, which was defined as more than an inch. You're still with us! But if you aren't interested, that's cool too. Wish you the best of luck, I'm so glad that you were able to get your ends to behave by trimming :)

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2014, 03:40 AM
Well the challenge of the thread was to not make any BIG cuts, which was defined as more than an inch. You're still with us! But if you aren't interested, that's cool too. Wish you the best of luck, I'm so glad that you were able to get your ends to behave by trimming :)

I will stay. I know one of the challenges I signed up on was no trimming what so ever.

ReneeG
September 23rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
I will stay. I know one of the challenges I signed up on was no trimming what so ever.

Ouch, I don't think I could do no trims whatsoever! I'm trying to grow out bleach and no trims at all would lead to seriously ragged and damaged ends :( maybe a few years in the future when I don't have any damage, I could go without anything but S&D

Nimia
September 23rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
I'm joining! At least, for from now through the end of next year. I'm a couple months from waist length at the moment, and want to get to hip by Christmas 2015. I'd been doing search & destroy, but all the splits reappeared within a week, so I tossed that and am trying to not touch the scissors for any reason. There's years' worth of damage to grow out, but when I wear it down it's easy enough to hide the bad ends by curling them (with foam bendy stick things, no heat).

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
Ouch, I don't think I could do no trims whatsoever! I'm trying to grow out bleach and no trims at all would lead to seriously ragged and damaged ends :( maybe a few years in the future when I don't have any damage, I could go without anything but S&D

It was tough for me to do it. I have fine hair and I grew out bleach damage. I was lucky to oil my hair prior to my hair appointment and I suffered minimal damage. I do think my hair needs a trim once in a while. I'm afraid to s&d too much last time I did I clipped off the splits to a damaged area gave myself a layer my last trim got rid of it. Now it's back to updos and benign neglect.

Marbid
September 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
I am in for 10 years... Then if this website still exists i might renew my challenge.

First time growing my hair to extreme lengths... If i find it unmanageable i will maintain there until i get accustomed and make it manageable again.

But i want long hair.. Have been fantasizing it since i was little... Draping blankets long enough to drape the floor and pretending it was hair.. I just cant see myself saying no to it no matter how in the way it is.

So i doubt i will ever cut it.. But you never know what life brings.. So ten years is reasonable..

ReneeG
September 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
jacqueline101 it is definitely hard growing it out, I have 2 more inches that are really damaged, and about 20 inches of highlighted length, with only a few inches of virgin hair right now, so babying those ends is really important if I don't want to cut them all off! What did you do to keep them healthy?

marbid welcome! I hope you get all the growth and length that you are going for! 10 years is like 60 inches for an average grower, you're going to be swimming in your hair ;)

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2014, 08:50 PM
jacqueline101 it is definitely hard growing it out, I have 2 more inches that are really damaged, and about 20 inches of highlighted length, with only a few inches of virgin hair right now, so babying those ends is really important if I don't want to cut them all off! What did you do to keep them healthy?

marbid welcome! I hope you get all the growth and length that you are going for! 10 years is like 60 inches for an average grower, you're going to be swimming in your hair ;)

I trimmed my off an inch at a time I had to time my hair let it grow then trim. I oiled a lot with argan, coconut, and almond oil mix I made that was water mixed with very little of the oils misted on my length. I gave up the oils because it made my hair darker. I now use Pantene nature fusion leave in with Pantene truly natural shine serum over it and love it a lot.

hanne jensen
September 24th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Serums have been saving my hair. Right now I'm using Fructis Band Aid. My hair literally drinks it up.

The oath I took at the beginning of this thread has saved me from many chops. I'm now dusting to keep my hemline thick and even, but that's allowed here. Never again will I remove more than 2 centimeters from my head.

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 01:53 AM
I'm in! It's gonna be a hard oath, cause i'm prone to changes and i'm currently planning on slowy turning from brunette to blonde, but...let's give it a try! (indeed i also want to make my hair grow, so..)

hanne jensen
October 10th, 2014, 03:29 AM
I'm changing my challenge. I committed myself to 10 years. I am now extending this to when I reach floor length if it's possible. I had set a goal for knee length, but Hubby and I want floor length hair.

Madora
October 10th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I am in for 10 years... Then if this website still exists i might renew my challenge.

First time growing my hair to extreme lengths... If i find it unmanageable i will maintain there until i get accustomed and make it manageable again.

But i want long hair.. Have been fantasizing it since i was little... Draping blankets long enough to drape the floor and pretending it was hair.. I just cant see myself saying no to it no matter how in the way it is.

So i doubt i will ever cut it.. But you never know what life brings.. So ten years is reasonable..

"Draping blankets long enough to drape the floor and pretending it was hair"... Marbid, you certainly were an imaginative child! How cute!

Madora
October 10th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I'm changing my challenge. I committed myself to 10 years. I am now extending this to when I reach floor length if it's possible. I had set a goal for knee length, but Hubby and I want floor length hair.

I like your enthusiasm, hanne jensen, and hubby's too! :applause

Zin79
October 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I've made up mind about not cutting even a mm of my hair till it reaches my waist, which I will achieve inshallah in June, 2016! :)

mariakatija
November 28th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I am joining! I have always chopped my hair off and I need to stop this. It's been almost 3 years since my last chop and I will never do it again! It is too painstaking to grow out your hair. It takes years to have it super long but seconds to cut it. I will only trim it monthly if I want to lose length, which won't be for a while.

I want to grow my hair to terminal length which means I will never be trimming to lose length. Damage, yes.

patchoulilove
November 28th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I'm in. I'm already almost to my 24th month hair "birthday" celebrating the growth since my last chop. I have only s&d so far probably won't trim until March or April 2015. I plan to Microtrim-only until I reach my short term goal.

:blossom:
patchoulilove

M.McDonough
November 29th, 2014, 04:30 AM
That's kinda hard decision but I'll try I'm in too!

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I'm still cut or trim free. I found wearing it in away where you can't see it keeps you from trimming it.

AmyBeth
November 29th, 2014, 10:15 AM
This is very easy for me. I have only done one big chop in my life, for several reasons, none of which were boredom. I think I was born with a desire for long hair. I was guilty of all of the hair damaging practices which ensured that my hair could never get past my waist- until I stumbled onto LHC and learned how to really nurture my hair. I think that I don't know what I would be facing if my hair got past finger tip length, and I'm not sure I want hair that long. But I really want to get to classic length. I might let it grow beyond classic if I can, or I might maintain at classic. But a chop of more than 2 inches is out of the question for me. Even when I did my big chop, it wasn't even because I really wanted shorter hair. I have never wanted shorter hair and I'm positive that I will never want shorter hair in the future.

LauraLongLocks
November 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM
No big chops here so far. Just a few microtrims.

MadPirateBippy
November 29th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Eh, I swore I'd never cut my hair short, and then life got in the way. I had a miscarriage and lost my son, and taking care of my hair was too much effort, so after six months of being unhappy with it, I chopped it. I'm growing it out again and happy with it again, but I think if I'd done a public challenge, I would have found that kind of self-care that I needed to do even more difficult.

I'm just taking life one day at a time at this point.

bte
November 30th, 2014, 02:52 AM
I'm sorry the poll is closed! I would have voted "never" because that s the vow I took in 1994 after my last trim. So far I have lasted 20 years, and delighted to have gone for cu h a long time. Here's to the next 20 years and beyond,

hanne jensen
November 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I'm still here and still not cutting. I'll be trimming 1 cm toward the end of the month and have committed myself to no trimming in 2015. When I get impatient with my hair and want to chop I remember my oath.

ReneeG
December 23rd, 2014, 05:14 PM
Just checking in! I actually never feel the need to chop my hair, because I HATE the way short hair looks on me. I never want it shorter than APL ever again. However, I did trim an inch off in October to get rid of some dead ends and mmmmm it worked so well! 7 weeks later and my ends feel a million times better than they did when I last needed a trim, so I guess I got the worst of the damage off in that trim. It was also i. The compact method so I didn't lose any real length, just added layers (which I wanted). Hope you're all still growing along and leaving those scissors alone!

LauraLongLocks
December 23rd, 2014, 06:21 PM
Still no big chopping happening here. I trimmed about 2-2.5 cm off this year. That's it. Next year I will likely do the same... about 2-3 cm trimming.

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
Still haven't chopped any of my hair.

gthlvrmx
October 3rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
Who else is still doing this challenge? I have only S&D some hairs randomly (I might have cut some individual hairs a little too much, though I am guessing that's not considered a "big chop") and I have not cut off much hair other than S&D. Would cutting a single hair over 1 inch of it be breaking the rules for this challenge? I am also still in the no trimming club thread :) So if I broke the rules here, I am still on that other thread...plus I am in the "no trimming 2015/2016" threads.

CoveredByLove
October 3rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
I haven't seen this thread until now. I'm a part of this group. :D I trimmed often back when I had a good bit of damage. I see no need to trim anymore. My goal is fairytale ends. :cloud9:

PalomaSincera
October 3rd, 2015, 08:02 PM
I most definitely will never make the mistake of cutting my hair short again. SIGH.

Techmouse
October 3rd, 2015, 11:28 PM
Challenge accepted. I haven't actually cut my hair in four years, but I did do some maintenance trims last year to get rid of some damage. My hair needs occasional trims, but I don't plan on actually chopping it off. My hair is just unmanageable when short (i.e. less than MBL+)

Saldana
October 4th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I probably have already voted on this, and maybe even written on it. But it's now 2015, and I'm only on my second cup of coffee this morning, so I'll chime in again. *lol*

I could do a year at a time no-cutting vow (in fact, I'm on my second year of such a 'vow' right now, except for my bangs), but not a 'never' vow. I am pretty sure I have at least the genetic potential to grow to about knee length, but I remember how annoying my hair could sometimes be when it was at TBL before the big chop. I couldn't wear it down, I was constantly catching it in the waistbands of pants and skirts, the sheds killed several vacuum cleaners, I had too much hair to do some of my favorite updos, etc. Retrospectively, my favorite length was waist length, and that's what I'm aiming for now. I should reach it sometime in mid-2016.

Once I get there, I'm going to microtrim for awhile to get all the old layers out and to get back to my nice thick blunt hemline. Then....maybe then if I feel like it, I'll let it grow to terminal. Or not. Dunno. :)

Todd
October 4th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Count me in too. I'll put up with the extra work to maintain hair longer than my waist, my hips, even my knees. Life is too short to have short hair.

hanne jensen
October 15th, 2015, 07:31 AM
I'm still not chopping. I've reached anatomical waist since my last post on this thread. Back then I was at APL. I've vowed to not chop my hair for 10 years, just dustings.

Belle Paix
October 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I'd like to be in on this. No more chopping. I'm going for five years. That should get me to my goal of FTL...

vpatt
October 15th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'd like to be in on this. No more chopping. I'm going for five years. That should get me to my goal of FTL...

What is FTL?

cat11
October 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM
It's finger tip length :)

I'd like to join this too. I'm going for five years, only trims. I think I would still count it as not cutting my hair as long as I didn't ever go shorter, as long as I'm gaining length. I started growing in the middle of 2013. So it's been about 2 years now of only trims (the biggest of which were 1 inch, 2 trims like this in a year) So it would be 5 years in the middle of 2018. I'll be 25 then, and I think I can also reach my goal by then (knee.) I plan on maintaining when I get to knee for a year and then deciding if I want to continue. Maybe I won't quite maintain, but just slowly keep growing(the quality of my ends are important to me, for practical and aesthetic reasons) and in that case I could extend the five years, but we'll see what happens when I get there.

vpatt
October 15th, 2015, 09:03 AM
My last shop trim of my pixie was March of 2014. A year before that I had them shave up the back of my head. So for it to be close to APL in 2.5 years is not so bad, I think. So since that last trim I have dusted my hair twice and no trims at all since January of this year. As of now I have no plans to cut ...i only plan on micro trims....but I also know that life can throw unexpected things at you.

cfan
October 15th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I do not remember when I was actually went in for a true "cut." I have been only getting a trim once or twice a year for the last few years. Hopefully I will eventually get past the belt-length my hair has seemed to stop for the last few months at soon.

AutobotsAttack
October 15th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Hmmm well since I haven't cut my hair since I was about 11, I'll go ahead and join this challenge. :) I never cut my hair as it is anyways.

Sarahm
October 15th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Hello ladies,
Recently, I discovered the LHC website and I have become obsessed with long, healthy hair. My mom, I believe, is slightly worried about my new obsession, but I guess that's just a 'side effect' from visiting this forum.

So, anyway, I would like to join this challenge too. My hair is currently at waist leng and my goal is hip length. So I guess I won't be cutting my hair for a while (maybe, idk, three years).

Also, how do you keep your ends looking healthy? Are regular trims 'mandatory' or are there other solutions?

gthlvrmx
October 15th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Hello ladies,
Recently, I discovered the LHC website and I have become obsessed with long, healthy hair. My mom, I believe, is slightly worried about my new obsession, but I guess that's just a 'side effect' from visiting this forum.

So, anyway, I would like to join this challenge too. My hair is currently at waist leng and my goal is hip length. So I guess I won't be cutting my hair for a while (maybe, idk, three years).

Also, how do you keep your ends looking healthy? Are regular trims 'mandatory' or are there other solutions?

Cutting hair only makes it shorter. You can try protective updo's like buns to protect the ends of your hair. That can help. It really depends on your hair though, everyone's hair is different and what helps 1 person might not help the next in keeping their ends nice. Damp oiling may help too (just take 1-5 drops of oil and rub it into your hair when it's wet or damp after washing). For many people, the longer your hair gets, the more taper you have at the ends which is normal. It's a natural part of growing hair. Some hairs grow faster than others and those racer hairs sometimes come up as only a few hairs that reach the longest lengths. Also, you shed hair regularly which can change the look of your ends. It's all normal. Regular trims are "mandatory" if you want to keep a specific style or hemline like a U, V, or blunt cut. If you plan on getting fairy taled ends, just let your hair do it's thing and it will get that natural taper. From waist to hip is not very far apart so you probably won't have to worry about taper or thinness, if that's what you're worried about. Some people like the tapered look, or thin look, and others prefer a thicker look to their ends.

Sarahm
October 16th, 2015, 02:50 AM
So no more trims for me then!
Thank you for your reply. You seem to know a lot about hair :).

hanne jensen
October 16th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Hello ladies,

This isn't a no trimming thread. There is a thread for no trimming. This is a challenge to not chop the hair for an amount of time. Anything more than an inch is considered a chop. I keep my ends healthy by dusting 1/2 cm every couple of months. Right now I'm dusting every month to thicken up my hemline. This is allowed.

hanne jensen
October 23rd, 2015, 01:43 AM
What is helping me to keep my vow of not cutting my hair off is an inverted braided bun which I call the Madora Bun. I can leave my hair up in this bun for 3 days at a time. Out of sight and out of mind...

There is a thread on the Mane Forum about inverted braiding.

hanne jensen
December 8th, 2016, 11:59 AM
My hair has been acting like a mop for the past few months and no matter what I've tried just keeps acting up. I remembered my oath to not chop my hair for 10 years so I'm just living with it. A week ago my hair has started behaving again.

There have been many times when I have been tempted to chop it all off and forget about having long hair. My solemn vow has prevented that. The good news is I've reached the bottom of waist and am now creeping towards hip length. I never thought it possible for me to have hair this long.

Annalouise
December 8th, 2016, 03:21 PM
:popcorn: Intriguing. Ten years? That's a long time. Long enough to get to terminal I would think. Good work!!:D

hanne jensen
December 9th, 2016, 12:34 AM
RegretsHerCut, brilliant! I do so solemnly vow, to that which I value and hold most dear
That for 10 years I shall not chop off my lovely mane, even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my magical strandswith tender care and love and dimes.

This I do solemnly vow.

I took this vow because I'd chop at every little road bump on my journey. I chopped from MBL to shoulder in July 2013. I took the vow in Dec. 2013 and have achieved waist+ since then. My hair is acting up but instead of chopping I'll find a solution and keep growing.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 9th, 2016, 01:03 AM
I am in.

I take a vow not to cut for 5 years.
My last cut was on the 28th May 2016. I S&D only.

alimc
December 9th, 2016, 01:59 AM
I took this vow because I'd chop at every little road bump on my journey. I chopped from MBL to shoulder in July 2013. I took the vow in Dec. 2013 and have achieved waist+ since then. My hair is acting up but instead of chopping I'll find a solution and keep growing.

As i'm also stuck in a vicious cycle of grow/cut/regret/grow/cut/repeat i'd also like to join please...... :o i vow.....

That for a very very long time I shall not chop off my lovely mane, even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.
That above all else I will serve the highest interests of my magical strands with tender care and love and dimes.
I make this vow freely and upon my honor in front of my peers and my fellow long hair warriors. :beerchug:

hanne jensen
December 9th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Hi, Kat Rinne Naido and alimc! Remember your vows when you get the urge to chop. Trims of no more than one inch are allowed to keep our tresses healthy and happy.

I took the vow for 10 years as I have wanted very long hair since I was a little girl and have never had it. I'm amazed that my hair is creeping towards hip.

Happy growing and drop by to bat the breeze while going downwards to uncharted lengths.

Annalouise
December 9th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Do you have a limit on how much you can trim a year?

hanne jensen
December 10th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Do you have a limit on how much you can trim a year?

As needed. It kind of defeats the purpose if you trim an inch a week. Normal dustings or trims of not more than one inch is allowed.

gthlvrmx
December 10th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Im in! The only trimming i will be doing would be some S&D, is that ok? I'll never cut my hair again though it's so not super fun as I thought it would be XD

I surprised myself, I thought I joined this thread before 2013 which was the year I shaved to bald. I guess I didn't break any rules. I totally forgot about this thread anyways, maybe I should hit the subscribe button :p I still haven't cut or trimmed, only S&D.

hanne jensen
December 11th, 2016, 07:09 AM
I surprised myself, I thought I joined this thread before 2013 which was the year I shaved to bald. I guess I didn't break any rules. I totally forgot about this thread anyways, maybe I should hit the subscribe button :p I still haven't cut or trimmed, only S&D.

Good for you! Your hair has grown a lot since then. Small trims are allowed as is dusting to keep the hemline thick and healthy.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 11th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Hi, Kat Rinne Naido and alimc! Remember your vows when you get the urge to chop. Trims of no more than one inch are allowed to keep our tresses healthy and happy.

I took the vow for 10 years as I have wanted very long hair since I was a little girl and have never had it. I'm amazed that my hair is creeping towards hip.

Happy growing and drop by to bat the breeze while going downwards to uncharted lengths.

Thank you for your words of wisdom and connecting. Wow you have not cut for 10 years that is amazing.

Mrstran
December 11th, 2016, 03:54 PM
My hubby tried to talk me into growing my hair to terminal length. It was kind of funny actually. I had no idea he loved extra long hair. Made me feel all warm and cozy inside.

I will cut my hair again though. Anything past tailbone just isn't for me, and sometimes I think even that might be pushing it. Hip on me I'd love. Tailbone yes ok. Longer? Eh.. I don't know just yet.

We'll see

truepeacenik
December 11th, 2016, 06:44 PM
I last posted in here three years and one day ago. 10 December, 2013. No time span given.

So, I should like make up my mind, right?
The OP states no more chops and her mark was one inch. Theoretically, that's maintaining, micro trimming and non trimming. All in one.
Ok, I can agree to not remove more than one inch at any given time.
My mental goal is my height, 5'2" or terminal minus two. (Thinking of ends)
So, for the next three years, I will stay under one inch in trims.

This spurred me to make some goals:
Goals (blog entry)
by truepeacenik , Today at 08:08 PM (0 Views)
I had something like this on the smaller site, but since the domain has expired, I decided to make a new goal/growth chart.

11 Dec. 2016
49 inches, 124.5 cm.

next landmark goal
solid knee
52 inches, 132 cm
6-7 months from now?

calf, widest part of the gastrocnemius
56 inches, 142 cm
14 months from now, without any major trimming, so more likely 16-18 months.
Then-
retire my 60inch measuring tape!

One end point I've seriously considered is my height, 62 inches, or 157.5 cm.
that is ankle. I'd be beyond thrilled to get there.

kate46
December 12th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Hi everybody :smile: I haven't been on the forum for six years. After completing my challenge to grow out my silver/greys and my thin hair thinning even more due to my age I got fed up and cut my hair short :rolleyes:

About this time last year I got fed up again :rolleyes: but this time with the short cut and so decided to try growing it out for one last time. It's about two inches from APL at the moment. I have never managed to grow past BSL, that could even be terminal for me but I would like to find out for sure, so I will definitely join this challenge as I don't think I will get another chance.

I will keep up with regular dustings as my hair thins too much to not trim at all.

It's nice to be back and happy growing to you all. :beercheer:

hanne jensen
December 12th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Thank you for your words of wisdom and connecting. Wow you have not cut for 10 years that is amazing.

I took the oath 3 years ago after chopping to shoulder. I still have 7 years to go...

hanne jensen
December 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
My hubby tried to talk me into growing my hair to terminal length. It was kind of funny actually. I had no idea he loved extra long hair. Made me feel all warm and cozy inside.

I will cut my hair again though. Anything past tailbone just isn't for me, and sometimes I think even that might be pushing it. Hip on me I'd love. Tailbone yes ok. Longer? Eh.. I don't know just yet.

We'll see

Goals have a way of getting longer and longer. It might be fun to reach terminal just to see if you can do it.

hanne jensen
December 12th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Hi everybody :smile: I haven't been on the forum for six years. After completing my challenge to grow out my silver/greys and my thin hair thinning even more due to my age I got fed up and cut my hair short :rolleyes:

About this time last year I got fed up again :rolleyes: but this time with the short cut and so decided to try growing it out for one last time. It's about two inches from APL at the moment. I have never managed to grow past BSL, that could even be terminal for me but I would like to find out for sure, so I will definitely join this challenge as I don't think I will get another chance.

I will keep up with regular dustings as my hair thins too much to not trim at all.

It's nice to be back and happy growing to you all. :beercheer:

I too need to dust as my hair is very fragile. I'm 57 years old and my hair has thinned lately due to stress. I've also clarified my scalp and now feel new hairs coming in. I never thought to get beyond BSL and am now creeping towards hip. I have never had hair below a longish APL before joining LHC.

I put my hair up, treat it very gently when de-tangling and wash every 5 days. If I stretch hairwashes more my follicles get clogged up which thins my hair.

I'm living proof that fine fragile hair can get long. My hemline isn't thinning so I still have many years of growth left. If I so much as blink my hair tangles and breaks.

Happy growing!

gthlvrmx
December 12th, 2016, 10:21 PM
Good for you! Your hair has grown a lot since then. Small trims are allowed as is dusting to keep the hemline thick and healthy.

Thanks! I'm not too worried about how my hemline appearance, however terminal looks like on me is fine.

chomsky
December 13th, 2016, 05:11 AM
I'm going to join this.

I used to hate my hair being any longer than my shoulders before, that was when I kept it straight. Now I keep it curly, length is no issue, it's always going to be short, haha! It's nice being able to enjoy the shoulder length hair I love most of the time and then having length when I want to.

So for now, until the foreseeable future (if my curls get miraculously long then maybe it'll change), I vow not to chop.

Pamberpestana
December 13th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I like the idea of joining this for 5 years. My hair has never been longer than BSL because of all of the damage I put it through. My long term goal is tbl or maybe even classic, and now that I no more damage and my hair is cbl, I think that 5 years is a great place to start! And if I feel like continuing, then I will! It's hard for me to say permanent words like never and always. That's alot of pressure haha.
Also I'm glad that s&d dusting is allowed because I gotta keep those ends fresh! I won't be doing it more than a couple times a year so it shouldn't hurt my growth. Perhaps after my next wash, I'll post my starting length photo just for fun!

pili
December 13th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Ok, I'm in. My plan is to grow to TBL curly and then reevaluate. I may go longer, I may not, but I know I plan on going to my grave with a long thick braid. I'm not sure I'll ever do terminal, but I know there will be no big chops for me from now on. Microtrims and maintenance trims can easily stay under one inch for the rest of my life.

Mrstran
December 13th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Goals have a way of getting longer and longer. It might be fun to reach terminal just to see if you can do it.

lol it's funny you say that. My initial goal was middle back. One month on LHC and my goal had changed to hip! Then I began thinking about TBL. You couldn't be more right.

hanne jensen
December 15th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I just finished looking at long hair pins on Pinterest. Hubby was looking over my shoulder and saw a head of hair that looks like mine. This hair was ankle length. Hubby had stars in his eyes-that's how long he'd like to see my hair.

hanne jensen
January 10th, 2017, 03:17 AM
I've been very tempted to chop back to BSL. My vow is the only thing stopping me. I'll go back to ignoring my hair and hopefully have a Holy Moly moment in the near future so I'll be happy with my hair again.

CoveredByLove
January 10th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'm still in this group. :) I typically trim 1/2 inch twice a year, just to keep my ends tidy. But if I feel like it don't really need it, I skip. Like hanne jensen, I have moments of frustration too (usually at those awkward in between lengths). I just put it up and forget about it. If I find myself obsessing on here, I take a short break. I haven't gone anywhere. I'm just trying to keep my perspective in check. Ill pamper my hair with a new hair mask or such and just keep going. :) At this length, I've had to re-adjust how I tend to it. I'm sure there will be many more of those times to come....hopefully ;)

Of the Fae
January 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Ahh how fun that this was resurrected! I see I signed up for three years and I have succeeded with only microtrims! :D Put me down for another three with just little trims :D

LauraLongLocks
January 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I accepted a 5-year challenge, as long as I can S&D and get dustings 4x a year. :) I have about 30 inches until my goal length, so yeah, it'll probably take me about 4 years or so to make it there.

I've made it 3+ of those years so far... no desire to chop back to a shorter length yet.

I am thinking when I get to classic I'll maintain for 6-12 months to thicken my ends and allow my bangs to catch up a little (they are past shoulder length right now).

Hay_jules
January 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Well I'm gonna join this too. I'm in for 5 years. My plan is to s&d as needed and quarterly microtrims. I estimate I'll reach hip in march 2020 and classic in may 2021...of all goes well. So thats 3.5 and 4.5 years respectively. Once I get to waist (July 2019) I may stay and maintain to thicken my hemline before carrying on.

hanne jensen
January 11th, 2017, 02:16 AM
What about this: (It's long so feel free to add/change/remove anything)

For the new challengers, here is an oath you can take. You can insert the amount of time that you have challenged yourself for.

According the the rules that the OP set it is allowed to dust, microtrim or trim as needed not more than one inch. We do want healthy hair! Apparantly more than one inch is considered a chop.

Jo March
January 11th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Love it! Currently, I have no intention of cutting my hair ever again. Dusting /trimming the hem maybe, but never cutting.

Aunty Miki
January 12th, 2017, 01:08 AM
I'm in! At waist, now, and wanting to go to knee.

pili
January 12th, 2017, 08:24 PM
I vowed, but never took the oath, so...

That for a very very long time I shall not chop off my lovely mane,
even if it turns into a miserable woeful mop at times.

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2017, 03:11 AM
Duly noted, pili. This vow has saved me from many chops when I've been impatient or angry with my hair.

Aunty Miki, welcome.We'll alol not chop together.

Higginsomethin
May 12th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I have actually been doing this for 5 years. I buzzed my hair with a 1 guard 5 years ago. After around 5 years of no cuts, I'm just reaching hip length. It's still growing well, no sign of reaching terminal any time soon.

Dark40
May 12th, 2017, 07:23 PM
I will definitely join this challenge! I haven't cut my hair since 2010 when I first joined LHC. The only thing I do to help it grow longer is to do a small trim once a year. I don't ever get any split ends at all, and I am at MBL now on my way to Waist Length.

*Wednesday*
May 13th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I'm in. I'm already in the no trims first and committing to the second half 2017. To the stars....😃 I'm not "cutting." You have my word.

olivetime
May 13th, 2017, 07:51 AM
I am dedicated to 3 more years of growing. To me that is a "very very" long time. :)

Aredhel
May 13th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Joining this! My last 1-inch trim was in January or February I think. It will just be dustings every year (or half year, when I reach a maintaining length) from here on out. :)