PDA

View Full Version : help posting pictures

slynr
December 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
I can post a picture if I am replying to a thread already created but if I try to create a thread and put a picture inside that initial post the image wont paste inside. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help:)

Madora
December 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
You need to upload your pictures to a photo sharing site like Photobucket.

More info on posting here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114999

slynr
December 9th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Figured it out. Thanks!

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Mine says I exceed a size limit. Do I need postage stamp size photos?

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Mine says I exceed a size limit. Do I need postage stamp size photos?

Are you attempting to upload to a photo album or post from an external website (Flickr, Photobucket, etc.)? They by all means won't need to be postage stamp sized. :) With that, would you also be able to provide the dimensions of the image and its file size?

An easy way if you're ever unsure about a size is to play it safe with less than 150kb for the size, and a reasonable dimension is within a 600x600px box.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not using photobucket I don't think I clicked on existing file and I have no idea what size they're.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I'm not using photobucket I don't think I clicked on existing file and I have no idea what size they're.

Are you attempting to upload to a forum album? If not, and if it's another image service, do you have a URL to the picture?

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Are you attempting to upload to a forum album? If not, and if it's another image service, do you have a URL to the picture?

My 6 year old brother is the one who figured it out. He went to my profile photos clicked Tammy Jo my friend clicked up load photo clicked file deal then the deal came up existing or web image he chose existing clicked that camera roll came up clicked on a few pictures he tried three different ones. He had his Sunday school teacher help us. Anyways we got messages about our picture size, we checked the camera roll I have an iPhone it's cropping deal is in picture sizes like 8x10 so fourth.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM
If I understand correctly, and please let me know if I'm missing anything, it sounds like you are trying to upload to an album on your profile. To upload an album on a profile, these steps should steer you in the right direction:

Go to your Profile
Click on an existing album of yours. If one does not exist, Create One (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?do=addalbum)
Once you are in the album, click "Upload Pictures" and a new window will open
In that new window, click on the "Add Files" button, which brings up the ability to click on a "Select Files" button
Click "Select Files", choose what you would like to upload, and then click on the new "Upload Files" button
Once your files are uploaded, they will show up on that window
Click on "Done" on the bottom right of the window
You will be given the opportunity to edit the photo description
Edit if you'd like, then click "Save Changes"
You should be good to go!

If you are trying to post a picture from another website, that is a different set of steps.

When putting a picture in a post, you will not be able to put a link to a photo on your personal device or computer between tags as it will not display the image.

ETA: If you are going through those steps, I've seen the forum automatically resize pictures during the upload process that exceed the limits placed on size and dimensions, and haven't personally experienced it throwing up an error like you've described.

If you are using a computer to try to work with your photos, having a screenshot of the error as it appears on your screen would be very helpful.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM
If I understand correctly, and please let me know if I'm missing anything, it sounds like you are trying to upload to an album on your profile. To upload an album on a profile, these steps should steer you in the right direction:

Go to your Profile
Click on an existing album of yours. If one does not exist, Create One (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?do=addalbum)
Once you are in the album, click "Upload Pictures" and a new window will open
In that new window, click on the "Add Files" button, which brings up the ability to click on a "Select Files" button
Click "Select Files", choose what you would like to upload, and then click on the new "Upload Files" button
Once your files are uploaded, they will show up on that window
Click on "Done" on the bottom right of the window
You will be given the opportunity to edit the photo description
Edit if you'd like, then click "Save Changes"
You should be good to go!

If you are trying to post a picture from another website, that is a different set of steps.

When putting a picture in a post, you will not be able to put a link to a photo on your personal device or computer between tags as it will not display the image.

ETA: If you are going through those steps, I've seen the forum automatically resize pictures during the upload process that exceed the limits placed on size and dimensions, and haven't personally experienced it throwing up an error like you've described.

If you are using a computer to try to work with your photos, having a screenshot of the error as it appears on your screen would be very helpful.

I tried to create a new album and I've cropped my photos still the same crap. I did the steps as you mentioned above.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Are you able to view the image details or file information, either for the original file or the cropped/resized one? That should enable you to see the size of the file, its dimensions, and the file type (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc).

Unfortunately without a screenshot I'm a bit in the dark, since I understand what you've said is happening, but have not seen it happen to me when files have been over the system's current uploaded image caps (some were a fair amount over at least in file size). All my images that exceeded the caps have been automatically resized by the forum software, and that results in a smaller file but also a loss of quality. I have only tried this with .jpg and .png files.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Are you able to view the image details or file information, either for the original file or the cropped/resized one? That should enable you to see the size of the file, its dimensions, and the file type (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc).

Unfortunately without a screenshot I'm a bit in the dark, since I understand what you've said is happening, but have not seen it happen to me when files have been over the system's current uploaded image caps (some were a fair amount over at least in file size). All my images that exceeded the caps have been automatically resized by the forum software, and that results in a smaller file but also a loss of quality. I have only tried this with .jpg and .png files.

No I don't know how to change the resolution is or how to check it the photos don't show it when I click on them and crop them in the phone camera roll.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 03:16 PM
No I don't know how to change the resolution is or how to check it the photos don't show it when I click on them and crop them in the phone camera roll.

Are you able to take a few screenshots of the steps that you are attempting to do, the error that appears at the end, and possibly upload it to your Photobucket account so we can have a little more information to work with?

I really want to get this working for you well, but without some additional information to work with I'm having some trouble picking the best avenue to go down as I have not experienced the same issues with what I think are similar circumstances.

I just went through the upload steps using photo from my phone (it's an Android) that exceeds the image upload restrictions. It uploaded successfully and the forum resized it instead of throwing up an error.

To try another route, what are your resolution resizing options on your phone?

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 03:18 PM
According to apple web site you can't adjust the resolution it's factory set at 8mega pixels. It's designed to print 8x10 at pro quality. I wonder if my brother Sunday school teacher is right my prograde camera won't work on here.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Unless it's a file type that the forum won't accept, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have also uploaded photos taken with my DSLR camera and have had no problems, but for that I export those files as .jpg since its raw format (.nef) isn't compatible with the forum.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Unless it's a file type that the forum won't accept, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have also uploaded photos taken with my DSLR camera and have had no problems, but for that I export those files as .jpg since its raw format (.nef) isn't compatible with the forum.

It's preset at 2000 plus mb by 3000 plus mb setting. I checked with apple there is no way to change it. The down loads won't help either. They won't alter the hard wear of the camera. It must be the settings along with a foreign file that won't let it do it. Oh we'll so close but so far away.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I believe the default format used on an iPhone's camera roll are all .jpg files, which would be compatible with the forum's image upload feature.

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I believe the default format used on an iPhone's camera roll are all .jpg files, which would be compatible with the forum's image upload feature.

How do you check the settings? It's not in the settings or camera icon.

Gumball
December 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
With what you've said about the problem so far, I don't think the file type is the issue. If it's a size limit issue, would you be able to upload the photo to Photobucket, and if possible a few screenshots of the steps you were taking on the forum that produced that issue, for us to look at?

Having more information would help on trying to solve this problem and get your forum uploading down to something nice and smooth for you, especially since I've gone through the same steps with photos that exceeded size limits and have not hit any snags. I'm still having a little difficulty pinpointing where things might be going awry.