PDA

View Full Version : preferences on oil treatments

bekahleigh
December 8th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hi, I started doing oil treatments a couple months ago, and my hair and scalp LOVE it. There are a lot of ways to do it though, hot or not, overnight or just an hour or so,wet your hair first or do it dry, coconut, carrot, castor, olive, so many choices! I personally have only tried coconut oil, and more recently castor, but i'm only on my second try(literally it's in my hair right now) so I can't say nuch about it yet.

What have you tried and what did it do for your hair and scalp? How did you do it, how long did you keep it in, all the hairy details :) I am always open to attempt new things and maybe you all have some good suggestions for me.

Symphony
December 9th, 2013, 12:01 AM
When I first started oil treatments, I would literally soak my hair in warmed olive oil to the point where my hair was dripping with oil, then wrap it up in a shower cap and sleep in it. This got too uncomfortable for me, so I started doing it less and less, though it did work wonders. Got to the point where I disliked it so much, I went about a month or so with no oil treatments, and it was starting to show. Lately what I so now, is after I have showered and wet my hair, I use a little bit of conditioner as a leave in, then use about 5 drops of oil on the right side of my hair, then another 5 drops on the left. I will wear my hair down for a day or so, and then after the first day, I start putting in small handfuls of oil in my hair (warmed by rubbing my hands together) before bed, concentrating on my ends. I made a ritual out of adding a handful or two of oil to my hair each night. Then I just leave it in until I wash again... I wash/wet my hair probably only 2x a week. I will wear my hair around in a slightly oiled braid or updo probably 3-4 days a week. I find that using a little bit of oil on a regular basis, rather than a ton of oil once a week, is more sustainable for me because I am inherently lazy, and I need to do the easiest and most useful way that is a routine I can stick to.

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 12:23 AM
You can get away with leaving oil in your hair?? I can't! Tiny bit of oil and I look like I haven't bathed in a month! I have been considering giving olive oil a shot but I just have been loving the coconut oil so much. The castor oil seems pretty good too, although this is only my second time trying it. The first time I used too much and had to double was to get it out, but my hair was still really nice afterwards.
This time I diluted the castor oil with equal parts coconut oil, heated it, massaged it in at the roots and tips, then the full length. Now it's shower capped for the night, will was in the morning.

TheWhiteRabbit
December 9th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I have very fine waist length hair and it loves coconut oil. I experimented with olive oil and caster oil but it didn't like them as well. I also used Cowboy Magic shine booster which is pretty much a silicone oil but it dried out my hair. In the morning, I put a little bit on my palms and run it through the ends of my hair only, I don't put any on my scalp or canopy. That way it doesn't make me look like a grease head. I take a shower everyday and wash my hair every other day so my oil doesn't stay in very long.

restless
December 9th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Since I found LHC Ive tried oiling my hair with olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil. The last one mentioned is my favorite by far! It has made wonders for my hair, especially the ends that still carry some damage due to previous abuse (dye, teasing, hair spray and heath styling). It makes my hair soft like nothing else Ive tried. I soak my (dry) hair in coconut oil about 2 times a week and let it stay there for a couple of hours before I wash it out with conditioner. Very simple routine but effective nontheless.

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 02:52 AM
On dry hair, olive and castor oil mix, roots to tips (not dripping though), shower cap+scarf on top, overnight, wash the next day.. Ususally it takes 2 shampoos, I don't condition afterwads because my hair doesn't need it but I do use leave in conditioner :)

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Since I found LHC Ive tried oiling my hair with olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil. The last one mentioned is my favorite by far! It has made wonders for my hair, especially the ends that still carry some damage due to previous abuse (dye, teasing, hair spray and heath styling). It makes my hair soft like nothing else Ive tried. I soak my (dry) hair in coconut oil about 2 times a week and let it stay there for a couple of hours before I wash it out with conditioner. Very simple routine but effective nontheless.

Isn't coconut oil awesome? My hair has been loving it! It's been much less dry since I started using it, and a million times easier to get a comb through it.

Firefox7275
December 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I use coconut oil for hair only, it's proven to penetrate reducing porosity, increasing elasticity and reducing structural protein loss when washing. No other oil or butter has these proven effects (oleic acid can penetrate so *probably* reduces porosity).

The skin barrier does not need the fatty acids found in most oils - some are actually detrimental to normal function (eg. oleic acid). Instead I aim to respect my scalp with the right ingredients and pH in all products. You can't easily replace what you destroy with harsh cleansers or lengthy soaks in a hot shower.

For reference the skin can utilise stearic acid, palmitic acid, cholesterol and ceramides plus the lipids in lecithin. Stearic and palmitic should not be applied in seborrhoeic dermatitis tho, they feed the malassezia yeast.

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I use coconut oil for hair only, it's proven to penetrate reducing porosity, increasing elasticity and reducing structural protein loss when washing. No other oil or butter has these proven effects (oleic acid can penetrate so *probably* reduces porosity).

The skin barrier does not need the fatty acids found in most oils - some are actually detrimental to normal function (eg. oleic acid). Instead I aim to respect my scalp with the right ingredients and pH in all products. You can't easily replace what you destroy with harsh cleansers or lengthy soaks in a hot shower.

For reference the skin can utilise stearic acid, palmitic acid, cholesterol and ceramides plus the lipids in lecithin. Stearic and palmitic should not be applied in seborrhoeic dermatitis tho, they feed the malassezia yeast.

On the subject of a lengthy hot shower, that is going to be my worst bad habit to break in growing out my hair. I have an oil treatment in now that I will be washing out in the morning, and it's going to be my first attempt at doing so without the use of hit water. I'll probably use lukewarm water. I just really really hope that will still get all the oil out.

Firefox7275
December 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I get coconu oil out without hot water, I conditioner only and use LOADS of product known for being cleansing (Inecto). Usually wash twice and don't stop until my root area literally feels squeaky clean. A litle left in the lengths is neither here nor there to me.

DweamGoiL
December 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Oils...oh, boy! I have used Monoi, Emu, Sesame Seed, Jojoba, EVOO, and Grapeseed. My keepers have been Jojoba for dry hair and Monoi for wet or dry hair, occasionally Sesame Seed when I do deep treatments, but it has a really strong scent.

kganihanova
December 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I oil with coconut oil dry twice a week and use it as a leave in. Sometimes not all of it comes out but what can you do? A little extra conditioning couldn't hurt.

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 10:21 PM
After rinsing out the 1/2&1/2 coconut/castor, I can honestly say I really enjoyed it. I definitely prefer it to plain coconut oil. I see a lot of ideas here I may have to give a try in the future!

GreenBloodyShoe
December 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Warmed pistachio oil or hazelnut oil on dry hair over night before washing. I massage the oil into my scalp first then work my way down to the ends. I always use a ton on the ends. I prefer the pistachio oil because it is a bit heavier and good for dry hair. I wash with a shampoo bar twice and follow up with a good condition.

GreenBloodyShoe
December 9th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Oh and I usually use a deep conditioner as my conditioner because I feel like its a waste of money to purchase both regular and deep conditioners/hair masks. I just use it as I would a rinse out conditioner. I leave it on for just a few minutes and rinse most of it out with cool water.