PDA

View Full Version : Does Castor Oil speed growth and increase thickness?

LauraLongLocks
December 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Have you tried castor oil massage on the scalp to increase growth rate and thickness? How did you use the product? Does it work? Did you actually take measurements and compare, and not have other variable factors (like starting biotin or other supplements at the same time)? Do you think it is the action of massage, or the particular oil that works (if it works)?

For the two months that I have taken measurements, I have grown .75" each month. Great growth, right? Sure, but why not increase that rate if I can? I just want to be sure I'm growing at as fast a rate as I can. :)

biogirl87
December 8th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Laura, I have not tried castor oil myself (scared of trying oils on my scalp, even on dry scalp because I am afraid of oils making more hairs come out in the shower since even using conditioner makes more hairs come out in the shower). I have read how castor oil is questionable in increasing hair growth. Here is a link that talks about this: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/09/myth-or-fact-can-castor-oil-really.html. I think when people say that are supposedly getting increased hair growth with castor oil, it is more likely due to the scalp massages they are doing while they have castor oil on their scalp. Scalp massages, as is known here, seem to be able to increase hair growth slightly since they stimulate blood flow to the scalp. Hope this makes sense and hope this helps.

bekahleigh
December 8th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I also would like some more info on this subject. I've been using coconut oil for a few months to return moisture to my hair. I recently started using castor oil as well and would love to know more about it. I did love the way it felt on my scalp though.

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Yes it does ! I mix it with olive oil though cause it's so sticky. I did a castor+olive oil scalp massage saturday night, slept with it in my hair and washed it yesterday and I can't stop touching my hair since lol

Avital88
December 9th, 2013, 02:44 AM
ive tried it many times, and yes it works especially for thickness on me. baby hairs pop up like weeds.

Zebra Fish
December 9th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I tried it for some time while trying CO-wash because I found it easier to wash out with conditioner than shampoo. It was maybe for 1,5-2 months (not exactly sure how long), I haven't measured, but I don't think it accelerated my growth, but maybe it affected hair quality (my hair is ultrafine so for me that is good too). I was using it even before few times, but never in a real continuum, but would usualy wash the crap out of my scalp to get it out then :o. I also made my mum to do it few times (as it is a traditionally known good stuff for hair here, she didn't object to doing it together along with olive oil) but she would only do when I would be home, or she would visit me, so can't say if it helped her. As far for now, I haven't find anything that speeds up hair growths rate, but only helps me get better hair. As my scalp doesn't like CO-washing, I'm not using it anymore coz I find it difficult to wash out (I use diluted SLS-free shampoo only once).

Conclusion: I think it can help with hair quality, but not sure it really speeds up growth :) (not saying it may not work for someone else)

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Yes it does ! I mix it with olive oil though cause it's so sticky. I did a castor+olive oil scalp massage saturday night, slept with it in my hair and washed it yesterday and I can't stop touching my hair since lol

I'm trying it mixed with equal parts coconut oil, and heated it up, made it very much easier to work with. I'm doing overnight treatment with this mixture, and so far I love it.

Firefox7275
December 9th, 2013, 05:59 AM
I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that any oil increases growth. Massage *may* by increasing blood flow (ditto regular physical activity). I wouldn't personally put olive oil near my scalp, oleic acid is a known penetration enhancer, skin barrier disruptor, comedogenic and irritant for some with dermatitis.

lozzzy
December 9th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Out of interest when folks have used oils (olive oil/coconut/caster) do you have any difficulties with rinsing it out? I struggle with greasy hair, so would be interested to know how folks get on...

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Out of interest when folks have used oils (olive oil/coconut/caster) do you have any difficulties with rinsing it out? I struggle with greasy hair, so would be interested to know how folks get on...

two shampoos are usually enough to get the oil out ;) don't condition though

lozzzy
December 9th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks Regrets! Shall have a try!

LauraLongLocks
December 9th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Well, I'm going to try massage without oil once a week first and see if that has any effect, because I don't want the hassle and expense if it's not actually going to do anything. I'll take measurements to compare to my usual growth rate. In the meantime, I would love to hear from anyone else who has used it.

chen bao jun
December 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Never heard it increased growth. But it filled in my mother's bald spots and this was the only new thing she was doing.
I heard that this is because of the sulphur or something?
It filled her bald spots in within a year and they began to grow. She has two or three inches of hair the last time I saw her where she had none (traction alopecia from tight braids).
It was the Jamaican black castor oil--I heard that other castor oils are too refined to help.

kganihanova
December 9th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I only used it to grow back my edges. I can't say it was worth the hassle to use it long term though. Castor oil is thick and harder to work with than coconut oil.

kganihanova
December 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM

I usually use conditioner to get it out honestly. As long as you didn't REALLY over oil, you should be fine with shampoo or co wash :)

Zebra Fish
December 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM

It's easy if you CO-wash it out, for me much easier than with shampoo.

leslissocool
December 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Active castor oil thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265)

LauraLongLocks
December 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Active castor oil thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265)

Thank you. I searched, and nothing came up.

sarahthegemini
December 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I've not used it on my scalp so this will probably be of little help, but I've been using it on my eyelashes and the length of them has significantly increased.

catamonica
December 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I added two capfuls of castor oil to my shampoo. Mixed with two capfuls of olive oil. Time will tell if my hair grows longer.

catamonica
December 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM
The only product that helped my hair grow was Mane & Tail horse shampoo. It doesn't help everybody. I will have to try it on my eyelashes. Hope it works.