PDA

View Full Version : How to have this hair colour?

BowTie
December 8th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Hi all,
I've found a hair colour that I really like. Now I'm just thinking should I do it or not. I'd like to do something semi-permanent at first. I've had reddish hair before and always got compliments from people. I wonder if anyone knows a good semi-permanent dye?

Some examples:
Garnier Olia 4.6 Deep red
Garnier Nutrisse 7.64 Intense red copper
Red raj henna pictures here :)
Loreal Paris Castung Creme Gloss 460 Cherry Red

nicecupoftea
December 8th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Are you in the US? I'm in the UK so I'm afraid I won't be able to recommend you any brands but I'll just say be very careful if you ever want to get back to your original colour!

Most dyes that say "semi-permanent" still contain peroxide, so they alter your natural hair colour permanently and then lay a semi-permanent dye over that. When the red fades out you'll be left with permanently orangey bleached looking hair. I would also be careful of some vegetable based dyes like manic panic because the red shades can be notoriously hard to remove. Basically, just because something says non-permanent, it doesn't mean that it is.

Maybe try a wash-in wash-out temporary colour to start with? It will probably last for more than a couple of washes so long enough to know if you like it or not. Then if you want to do permanent I would recommend some sort of henna/cassia mix :)

Magalo
December 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Especially on blonde hair, even non-permanent red dyes tend to stick out and never disseapear completely!

KellieMai
December 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I'd be tempted to suggest henna. Or maybe a semi permanent vegetable dye (like directions or manic panic) I know they have a lot of bright colours but I'm sure they do dark reds too. Plus they can be mixed and diluted to make the right colour and they wash out completely if you decide you don't like it :)

spidermom
December 8th, 2013, 09:53 AM
AGREE with KellieMai.

swearnsue
December 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Think about it for a week and if you still want to color, go ahead and have some fun! When I was younger and didn't worry about hair damage and chemicals I would color my hair all the time and it was fun! I've been every color from dark brown, all reds, to light blonde.

Isn't it always the story, the person with the red hair wishes she had the ash blonde hair and vice versa! I love your hair color! But heck, life is short so do what you want. This is just my opinion.

red-again
December 8th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Have a look at adore hair dyes. They have some pretty close henna spectrum colours. That way you could test a non damaging semi on your hair before plunging into henna. Not saying that, as others have already that a semi won't be pretty long lasting on your lighter lengths but it'll be less long lasting than henna!

woolyleprechaun
December 8th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I used a semi permanent red on my fair, strawberry blonnette and it NEVER came out. Seriously, it was horrid. I'm a dye hard henna head now, and I'll never look back at those peachy-orange days ;)
So, as others have said...Beware of staining on fair hair from semi/temp dyes of any kind. You have pretty hair and it would be a shame if it went that weird peach stain.

Crumpet
December 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Also, be extra careful since you previously bleached your hair. It will hold on to dye much stronger because of its porosity.

BowTie
December 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I used a semi permanent red on my fair, strawberry blonnette and it NEVER came out. Seriously, it was horrid. I'm a dye hard henna head now, and I'll never look back at those peachy-orange days ;)
So, as others have said...Beware of staining on fair hair from semi/temp dyes of any kind. You have pretty hair and it would be a shame if it went that weird peach stain.

I've had my hair red many times but was still able to go blonder. It took some time and professional help. My hair won't be pretty when all my bleach has grown out :D I will wait for a few months so my old dye grows out even more :)

Firefox7275
December 9th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Semi permanents do not contain peroxide and are not damaging, that is Demi permanent. High pigment non damaging semis include Manic Panic and La Riche Directions, these are basically colour molecules in a conditioner base and can safely be left hours or overnight for best penetration. These will only be very strong/ bright on porous or prelightened hair.

Permanent reds are a nightmare to hold onto, the red pigment fades fast leaving the brown undertones. This means you have to 'refresh' the lengths each time which causes a lot of damage after a few months/ years and you can end up with dark build up on the ends. It's more time consuming but gentler and longer lasting to lift the roots then a semi over that. Depending on your porosity and base colour you may only need to lift only a shade or two which limits damage. I use a peroxide only box blonde, no persulphate bleach and add coconut oil to the bottle.

Cuticle staining can be an issue with permanents on previously damaged hair, this will not lift with bleach nor colour removers it is truly permanent. I had strawberry blonde from red box dyes (Live XXL). Some semis can permanently stain too, the one I use (Directions Rose Red) lifts out easily with peroxide but is likely pinker than you want. Hair dye forums can tell you which shades are notorious for never quite leaving.

Whatever you do run multiple strand tests on shed plug hole hair then hidden head hair, and use plenty of product, LHC long hair can need way more than you think.

maborosi
December 9th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Just an FYI, I don't know about the brands you listed, but a lot of box dyes that are ammonia-free almost always run dark.
I found this out a couple of weeks ago after not box dyeing for years. I wanted a warm auburn for my brows and it came out several shades darker than the box.

Strand tests are really important, especially in this case!!

~maborosi~

muddblood21
December 9th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I would first like to say those are lovely colors!

Next I would like to tell you about my experience with red/auburn dyes. I was a bleach blonde and decided to go red for the first time. I went to a salon and the stylist used a demi (I think?). I looked lovely and held in my hair ok. I got a root and length touch up 5 weeks later. It held and for the next couple months I got just a root touch up. No big deal. Then I decided my love affair with red was over and wanted to go back blonde. I was realistic, I knew that I would not go back to white blonde over night. What I did not expect was that the red dye would stain my hair and I would only have the choice of growing the now orange stained hair out, or shaving it off (I chose grow it out). Bonus: I new have a new appreciation for my virgin color!

My advice is to try the non damaging semis (like Manic Panic) bc those will come out LOADS easier than anything else. I wish you luck in playing with red! It is such a fun color! Happy dying! :toast: