PDA

View Full Version : Growth phases questions.

Kikina
December 8th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I think this may even be a thread. Anyways, most of my questions are related to that.

1) Whenever I read something about growth phases, they say that only people with long anagen will be able to reach waist WHAT!? But all of you talk about getting waay past it and all these world records and... seriously, is that correct or not?

2) This morning I got worried that if my catagen might be close. Don't get me wrong, I know that each strand is on its own but since I've been cutting my hair for years like most people, will it stop somewhere due to too many strands having grown to their max? Does that mean I will have to grow it all over again? I'm not sure if my question is comprehensible enough :rolleyes:

I'm still too incompetent when it comes to hair, please have that in mind. :hmm:

RegretsHerCut
December 8th, 2013, 02:19 AM
I was wondering the same thing the other day ! My mom used to always cut my hair to a pixie when I was younger because it was way more manageable for her and last time I had a pixie (before my big chop last year) I was 11, but by the time I was 14, my hair was MBL.. I guess since you always have new hair coming in, it ends up by catching up to the other hair.. So the hair that gets longer is technically new growth if the other stands have reached their terminal length. I don't know if I was clear sorry !

Flor
December 8th, 2013, 02:28 AM
1) Anagen stage can be anywhere between 2 to 6 years (and longer!). If we consider 4 years to be average and 6 inches of growth per year another average. 4x6 = 24 inches. Count those from the base of the scalp, where your longest layer of hair would be if you never aimed for blunt hemline and it will put you at about tailbone/classic (on average height person). So I'd say, that is your average of terminal length. But like with all the average numbers, it means, some wouldn't be able to grow it that long and others will be able to grow much longer.

2) I don't understand your second question at all, sorry. Cutting hair has absolutely NOTHING to do with each individual hair follicle stage. Imagine you stopped cutting hair completely, right now. And imagine your anagen stage is average 4 years. What it means is that in 4 years from now, every single hair strand on your head will be renewed (they will all have tapered virgin uncut ends), and you will reach your terminal length. From there on, although each individual hair will continue growing, your hair overall won't be able to grow any longer than the terminal length you've archived (unless your anagen stage changes and gets longer for some reason).