PDA

View Full Version : Easy non damaging hairstyles for BCL hair?

Leslieslsa
December 7th, 2013, 08:49 PM
My hair is BCL and thick. So far, I only do a side braid and that's pretty much all I know how to do. (Or a fishtail side braid)The only hair item I use is scrunchies. I do not know what else to do with it! It seems like everything I try to do is too hard. Or I am paranoid about it damaging my hair. The only bun I know how to do I secure with a linzi clip but I thought that may break my hair off so I just started braiding it again. I can't wear a pony tail because it gets all tangled! Even though it is healthy. Anyone have any ideas on EASY styles that will not frustrate me? I would like to know how to do other things, but am no good at styling hair! :rolleyes:

Kaelee
December 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Check the tutorial video in my signature. It's easy enough even I can do it :lol: and you have more than enough hair for it (just keep wrapping until you run out of hair!)

DweamGoiL
December 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM
You just have to be patient with yourself. I am style challenged as well, but with lots of patience, I have learned some new simple styles here and there. Concentrate on one style you like and practice, practice, practice. Do not expect to watch the tutorial once and have it down pat 15 minutes before you go out the door because that is just a recipe for failure...trust me ;)

KellieMai
December 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I'm about 2 inches away from BCL. I wear either a nautalis or a keltic knot most of the time. It took me a few attempts to get it right but now it's really fast and easy, plus they're held with sticks so no damage. I learn all the hairstyles I do through watching YouTube videos :)

lapushka
December 8th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I learn all the hairstyles I do through watching YouTube videos :)

This. ^^ Anyone can learn how to make a simple bun. It's not that hard, honestly. Just get comfy watching YT tutorials and copy (pause the video when you need to) the movements. Torrinpaige is awesome at updos. Here's her YT channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

BlazingHeart
December 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I think the cinnabun, nautilus, and bee-butt bun are all pretty simple. A fully rolled sock bun might also be an option, though I think it takes practice to make that one look good.

Your linzi clip is just fine for securing hair as long as it isn't snagging and pulling hair out. If it was a problem, you would feel and/or hear hairs being pulled and snapped. If you don't, it's no worse than jaw clips and octopus clips, which tons of members use. I just wish they made a version that could hold all of my hair! I can only get about 2/3 of my diameter to squish into the biggest linzi clip.

Madora
December 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM
You just have to be patient with yourself. I am style challenged as well, but with lots of patience, I have learned some new simple styles here and there. Concentrate on one style you like and practice, practice, practice. Do not expect to watch the tutorial once and have it down pat 15 minutes before you go out the door because that is just a recipe for failure...trust me ;)

Excellent advice, DweamGoiL! Patience and practice are MUSTS if you want to learn how to style long hair.

Leslieslsa, the secret to wearing thick hair is to section it. Here's how to do a simple braided bun:

1. Detangle all your hair gently with a wide tooth comb.
2. Comb it back from your forehead so that there is no part.
3. Using your comb, make a horizontal part from the tip of your right ear, across the back of your head, to the top of your left ear.
4. Take all the hair ABOVE the part and comb it out so that there are no tangles
5. Then take the combed out hair and braid it loosely to the end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
6. Take the braid, and holding it flat against your scalp, make a coil. Pin with hairpins (not bobby pins) around the bun. Tuck in tassel under bun.
7. Take remaining hair, detangle, then braid loosely and tie off with elastic.
8. Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made. Tuck in tassel. Voila...one double braided bun.

Special note for step # 7...In order to start the braid as close to the bun as possible, you might want to bend down and braid the hair instead of standing erect.

Be sure not to braid tightly. You should be able to put a finger between where the braid starts and your scalp.

This sectioning procedure can be done with rope braids, twists, twists with accents and can be used as the basis for the Cameo bun.

Dealing with long hair is a journey of patience and experimentation. Rome wasn't built in a day and learning to cope with your hair will become easier the more you practice. Good luck!

LauraLongLocks
December 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM
You have plenty of hair to work with, so you won't find the frustration that some of us are feeling in waiting for our hair to be long enough for whatever style we are trying. You're one step ahead of us. Yay! Since you know how to braid, try a braided cinnamon bun. Get some of those little silicone elastics (I usually can use them only once or twice each before I have to throw them out, but they come 300 in a pack for under $2), and secure your braid tassle with one of them. Then wrap your hair in a cinnamon bun, and secure it with several jaw clips, all the way around. They are really easy to use. Another option is to buy some Amish hair pins and secure your bun with them. They are extremely comfortable, and damage-free. A nautilus bun is extremely easy to learn and takes seconds to put your hair up. If you need inspiration, visit the "wear your hair up challenge" thread. There are so many ideas there. I would like to give another vote for TorrinPaige on YouTube. She's great. She even has tutorials on how to do the most basic things, like how to do a ponytail, and how to do several different types of braids.

Leslieslsa
December 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8196&d=1386900901

I figured one out! How does it look?

animetor7
December 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM
It looks great!! What do you call it?

SaffronK
December 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the torrinpaige rec! I immediately checked out her page and now I am confident that I can learn to style my hair!

LauraLongLocks
December 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I figured one out! How does it look?

Looks wonderful, how did you do it?

Leslieslsa
December 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I put it in a ponytail, braided the ponytail, then put a scrunchie at the end, then wound it around, tucked the end underneath and put hair pins around it.

LauraLongLocks
December 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Great job! It looks lovely.