PDA

View Full Version : does gender have any affect on getting split ends?

hair jim
September 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
it seems my hair only gets so long, then i get ends like a broom, my wifes grows well?
am i doing to much to it?
~jim

Kirin
September 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM
its hard to say what the problem is, what is your routine?

sapphire-o
September 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think women tend to get splits more easily, because of the blow-drying, styling, color, bleach, perms...etc. Men tend to keep their routine simpler. Although I wonder if men tend to be less gentle with combing their hair. Hmm... Anyway, either gender would benefit from more natural hair care and gentle handling if they want long length.

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hello there!

I'm a guy too and I don't think gender has anything to do with splits. Hair is hair, the diference, if any, might be in the roots, but it won't be much too, if there is any diference.

If you have been growing your hair for a really long time, maybe you might want to trim a little of it. If you don't want to yet, you might try a series of things to make your ends softer.
The use of oil on your ends might be a very good start. Jojoba and coconut oil are the most common to use but sweet almond oil is good too. Just apply a little on your palms, warm it up a little by scrubbing your hands and them slide it from your ears down the lenght. Then massage the ends gentle with the oil and let your hair air dry...

To prevent further damage/dryness, stay away from blow driers or other heat devices, as they are the cause of many hair problems...

I wish you the best luck, and welcome aboard LHC. In a few months, you'll learn this is the best place to get motivated and informed about hair.

Stick to your growing and good luck!

Tap Dancer
September 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I don't think gender has anything to do with it. Hair is hair. Tell us about your routine. :)

ETA: Ha ha, I didn't even see that Little Bird wrote the exact same words: "Hair is hair." I only read the original post and then I replied. :p

Beatnik Guy
September 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No; my hair splits because of the texture. It's coarse and tends to get dry. Of course, I'd say splits come with the territory of long hair anyway. :wink:

xrosiex
September 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I really dont think hair knows if it's male or female.

Let us know your routine. Maybe we can help.:)