PDA

View Full Version : Considering bangs/fringe (with pics)

misspriss
December 7th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I have been getting the urge to cut, but I love my length. So I was thinking bangs. I always wear my hair up, always. So I feel I look a bit harsh. Anyway, here I am, and then me trying to "fake" bangs. It looks awful, but might give the idea.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n9L-fy6fFO0/UqPLoOIhJAI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/NY_JYAaoUX4/s400/OWNER%2520-%2520WIN_20131207_191339.JPGhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DUWQ-UmTPpg/UqPLxHMajWI/AAAAAAAAAaE/QtS8fRe-_ZA/s400/OWNER%2520-%2520WIN_20131207_192121.JPG

Sorry the glasses got all wonky in the second pic, I lost about 25lbs since I last had my glasses adjusted and they keep sliding down now.

opinions or suggestions? Thanks!

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Great job on the weight loss! Personally, I love my thick, blunt-cut bangs. They really do soften up my look, especially with dark hair.

When I see your pretty face, I think of a thin fringe only, nothing as heavy as what I have on my own face. I hate side-swept bangs as a rule, but if you like the look of them, and wouldn't be annoyed at their in-between-ness (too long and too short to ever be just right), go for it.

DweamGoiL
December 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I think bangs would look great on you :)

misspriss
December 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks! I couldn't really fake blunt bangs, as my ends are quite wispy! I have considered cutting thin long-ish bangs first, then if I wanted them shorter or thicker I could change that later.

Magalo
December 7th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I'm not a fan of bangs on you (and I'm a huge fan in general!!). I think chin/midneck length faceframing layers would look better. With a side part maybe?

ETA:

http://www.viphairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Partial-Wedding-Updo.jpg

http://www.besthairstyles2013.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/taylor-swift-hairstyles-2013-7.jpg

biogirl87
December 7th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I think the side-swept bangs would look nice on you. With that being said, I think blunt bangs might be easier to grow out since as blunt bangs grow out, they would actually grow back onto your crown area if you keep them pinned back as they grow out. At least on me, as side-swept bangs grow out, they grow out on the side of my face and I have yet to figure out a way to make them stay back as they grow out. I really think you could do either, I just wanted to mention the difference in how the blunt bangs and the side-swept bangs grow out in case you end up getting bangs cut into your hair and decide you do not like them.

Rio040113
December 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Another vote for bangs! :D

NaClH2O
December 7th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I think you would look fantastic with side swept bangs. It would soften your sharp hair line and the contrast between dark hair and light skin. Go for it!! :p If you end up not liking them, always remember that hair grows.

Scarlet_Heart
December 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I like it. And those are the kind of bangs that wouldn't take too long to grow out if you hated it. But I don't think you would.

I'm kind of jealous. I have a severe widow's peak. So I really can't get away with bangs, and when I've tried, they just go all wonky (in technical terms ;)).

Good luck!

PS- Life's short, get the bangs.

maskedrose
December 7th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Another vote for bangs...I really like how they soften your look and bring out your eyes. I have longer face framing pieces (much like the Taylor Swift photo) that I love, and something like that might be a good starting point. You can always cut them shorter.

misspriss
December 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone taking the time to look!

I will probably take some more "fake" pics, but I agree, I think the bangs would soften it up. If they were longer than bangs, like shorter layers, the would end up pulled back for sure. With the baby around, I can't afford to not have my hair up.

ErinLeigh
December 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I like the side swept bangs on you .

ErinLeigh
December 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I like the long side swept bangs on you.

anitacs9101
December 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I think you should go for it :)

I've been considering it too, for the same reason. I don't have an urge to cut really (or at least not constantly) but I would like to wear my hair in healthier styles more often and I always go for a ponytail (when it is too oily for a braid) because I hate the "bald"/plain look of updos.

Stray_mind
December 8th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Your face looks very cute with those fake bangs. :) I think you should go for it.

Brileeka
December 8th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah, i think you would look great with bangs. I love mine

Nic's
December 8th, 2013, 02:12 AM
I love the bangs.

0xalis
December 8th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Another vote for bangs here, and that's not my personal bias talking ;)
I love the way they soften the updo look on you!

MaryO
December 8th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Great going on the weight loss and a vote for the fringe! :-)

Lyv
December 8th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I agree with Magalo. No bangs but getting some face framing layers would look really good, they're too much upkeep and take a long time to grow out when you don't want them anymore imo. I don't particularly like the way bangs look with updo's and am constantly trying to hide mine.

schnibbles
December 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Honestly, I would start out with some face framing pieces or a long sideswept before diving into full-on bangs. Bangs are a lot of work, they need attention (mine needed styled with the blowfryer) they need washed more often than the rest of your hair. I am painfully growing mine out right now because I couldn't stand the upkeep. Plus, sometimes, you're just simply having a bad hair day and they won't look right or lay right no matter what you do to them. As a Type A personality, that was unacceptable to me (personally) LOL. Just wanted to give you another perspective.. good luck with whatever you decide. (You do look cute in the fake bang pic for sure but I wouldn't say you "need" bangs either)

Falcore
December 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I love the second picture that Magalo put up. I think that style would really suit you. :)

misspriss
December 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'm not a fan of bangs on you (and I'm a huge fan in general!!). I think chin/midneck length faceframing layers would look better. With a side part maybe?

ETA:

http://www.viphairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Partial-Wedding-Updo.jpg

http://www.besthairstyles2013.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/taylor-swift-hairstyles-2013-7.jpg

Those would not work for me. In my OP, I said my hair would be pulled back all the time. Anything longer than chin would go into the ponytail. So how would you keep those out of the ponytail? I would have to spend time seperating from the rest of my hair every time I needed to pull my hair back, too much hassle, ya know? Also, anything that long would be perfect grabbing length for LO (I have an 8 month old). More up by my glasses or slighlty lower would be acceptably far away though.

Magalo
December 8th, 2013, 08:54 AM
If you think that pulling the little pieces out of the ponytail a "hassle", I guess bangs aren't for you. They take a hundred more time to make them lay right and look pretty. I blowdry mine and slightly iron them to give them a curve, or they just lay lifelessly and look sloppy.

When I had faceframing layers (I grew them out, I only kept the bangs) they would go into the updo, then I just needed to lightly touch my hairline and they would fall out.

Lyv
December 8th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Those would not work for me. In my OP, I said my hair would be pulled back all the time. Anything longer than chin would go into the ponytail. So how would you keep those out of the ponytail? I would have to spend time seperating from the rest of my hair every time I needed to pull my hair back, too much hassle, ya know? Also, anything that long would be perfect grabbing length for LO (I have an 8 month old). More up by my glasses or slighlty lower would be acceptably far away though.

Usually if you just brush the front of it with your fingers those will come out unless you wear your hair back really tight. If time is an issue I wouldn't get them at all bangs take a lot of maintenance and styling to keep looking nice. IME they can be really time consuming.

LauraLongLocks
December 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Bangs DO require styling. For mine, it takes a few seconds to blowfry them so they lay flat. I have a cowlick that likes to make them go wonky in front. As they near trimming time, I usually switch to my round brush and blow the heck out of them, or I start to sweep them to the side, and pin them back until I can get around to trimming them. They do appear greasier faster than the rest of your hair, so for me, the bangs need washed (whether I'm doing CO or CWC) at least every other day, and I prefer daily. The nice thing about bangs is that they can take a lot more abuse since they are short. I've been considering using a demi or semi permanent color streak in mine, just for the heck of it. I am not able to play with my length's color at all, for fear of damage, and the possibility that I wouldn't like the results (and be stuck with them for a long time). Bangs offer the best of both worlds: long hair to look elegant, stunning, and beautiful; short bangs to have something to play around with, to abuse, and to soften up my look.

spidermom
December 8th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks! I couldn't really fake blunt bangs, as my ends are quite wispy! I have considered cutting thin long-ish bangs first, then if I wanted them shorter or thicker I could change that later.

good plan; do it

spidermom
December 8th, 2013, 09:59 AM
PS: Time consuming? It takes maybe 1 minute to wash them separately, same to blow-dry them, and perhaps 3 minutes to flat-iron them if they need it, and that includes letting the flat iron heat up.

I love my bangs. I've got 5 minutes to spend on them pretty much any day, and it's worth it to be able to vary my look. I hated the all skinned back, severe appearance I had without bangs.

patienceneeded
December 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I vote for the bangs too!

I had bangs like that for a few years for the same reason (I look severe with my hair pulled back). I have been growing them out for the last year though and now they are chin length. I'm debating cutting them back in. I really like them, but as others have posted...they need some upkeep. My hair curls all wonky in the front when shorter, plus I have a slight cowlick and a widows peak. For me, bangs require some styling and a daily or mostly daily washing. It's not more than a few minutes, but I was tired of it. TBH, I still spend then same amount of time on them now, as they are chin-length. At chin they aren't yet long enough to make it into the updo, so I always have to pin them back. And then there's the angry/severe teacher look with all my hair pulled back...which makes me want to re-cut.

Be happy with whatever you decide. Start with a longer fringe and then go shorter if you like it after a few weeks. It's easier to pin them out of the way when they are longer.

Congrats on the weight loss too!

misspriss
December 8th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Okay, more pics! I straightened my hair for the first time in over a year, maybe 2 (cabin fever makes you do odd things!)

Side-swept:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-75MCMDyWOlg/UqSzObGb37I/AAAAAAAAAas/yb6IVy9QPw0/s400/OWNER%2520-%2520WIN_20131208_114513.JPG

my attempt at "fake face framing layers":
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-41ribTYVuak/UqSzPZtLVbI/AAAAAAAAAa8/Vu1hQLIGoKE/s400/OWNER%2520-%2520WIN_20131208_114930.JPG

my attempt at one length (horrible!):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m1Ao1wfNFOg/UqSzRDt2DdI/AAAAAAAAAbE/kfYznPT0Nc0/s400/OWNER%2520-%2520WIN_20131208_115057.JPG

patienceneeded
December 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Side-Swept.