PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Massage Dilemma

RegretsHerCut
December 7th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hey guys ! So I've been massaging my hair with a mixture of olive and castor oil (I want my hair to grow faster) but I don't know if the oil is actually reaching my scalp ! Do you know what I mean ? My hair is so thick that I can't really tell if my scalp is getting enough oil or if my hair is drinking it all up ! should I brush my hair after massaging my scalp ? Any other suggestions ?

KellieMai
December 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I section my hair in 4 (part down the middle, then just behind the ears), and work kind of systematically along each section. I also lift up my roots with one hand and apply the oil to my scalp with the other, to make sure it's on my scalp and not just my hair. Once I have oil all over I take put all the clips so my hair is no longer sectioned and massage for 10 minutes or so. I still get a lot of oil on my hair but I do feel like my scalp is evenly covered . Working systematically along each sections took a while when I first started but now I've been doing it this way for a while i find it really doesn't take very long. I hope this helps :)

swearnsue
December 7th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I have thin hair but I section my hair, with oil on my fingertips I dig in towards my scalp and then rub it in. Then to another spot, etc. If I'm going to washing my hair in an hour anyway I don't worry about using too much, so I know it's all over my scalp.

Then sometimes I will brush it through also with a stiff BBB that I have. Sometimes the scalp just wants that extra bit of massage.

meteor
December 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Even when I poured oil on my scalp, it looked as if only my hair was absorbing it. I think it just looks like the hair takes up all the oil, but don't worry the scalp gets it, too. Just make sure you use a slightly warm oil concoction, massage the scalp thoroughly and cover it temporarily with a plastic bag to let the heat help the oil penetrate better. Brushing with a BBB helps spread oils very well, too.
The longer you leave oils on scalp and hair, the more you'll see it travel up and down the hair shaft, especially if you apply some heat.

RegretsHerCut
December 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys ! I did a mixture of all your techniques lol and I think my scalp is thouroughly massaged by now ! I'm gonna let it sit now (plastic bag and scarf on top) and shower later :)

swearnsue
December 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Let us know how it turns out! (it will be great)

heidi w.
December 7th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I never recommend oiling the scalp. I suggest allowing your sebum to do that job. Just oil the length, only, by itself, single.
heidi w.

Naiadryade
December 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM
To oil my scalp, I put a drop of oil on the front/palm side of a finger, then spread it across just that side--not the backs or sides--of all my fingers--not my palms. Then I sort of slide my fingers in along my scalp from my hairline and gently massage--the oily side of my fingers is really primarily touching my scalp. Of course it gets the roots of my hair too, but I'm not trying to get through the thick layer of canopy hair since my fingers are under most of my hair. To get the scalp nearer the crown, The technique is similar, I just slide my fingers through my hair near the roots a centimeter or so away from my scalp until I get to the spot I'm going for, then lower them to my scalp and massage. I find it's easier to get the scalp on top of my head without getting too much of the hair if I do that part with my head flipped upside-down, with my hair hanging. (Whenever my fingers get dry/not-oily, I add another drop and re-spread it before moving on to the next spot.)

This is one of the many practices which are a great idea for some people and a very bad idea for others. Many people report increased shedding when they oil their scalp. Personally, I find oiling my scalp with castor oil and EO's at least every couple of days greatly reduces my shedding! Plus, it cured what had been a lifelong case of itchy-head. Now if I don't oil my scalp for a few days, I start getting all itchy... until I oil it, which is instantly soothing!

LaurelSpring
December 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I take a Q-tip cotton swab and section it off and then dip the Q-tip in the oil and run it along the part. I start with a middle part and then do about 1 inch sections down each side and then down the back. Then, I massage it with my fingertips.

Hairheart
December 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I bought a cheap squirt bottle from Sallys and put the oils in, warm the up a few seconds in the micro. Then it's super easy to apply the oil on the scalp right where you want it.hope this helps! :)

RegretsHerCut
December 9th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Let us know how it turns out! (it will be great)

It is ! I can't stop touching my hair.. It's so soft (softer than it has ever been, even though I have been oiling my hair for years) I think the EVOO and castor oil mixture is a winner ;)
I slept with the oil in my hair and washed it he next day (yesterday). It's second day hair and my hair still feels soft and shiny

I never recommend oiling the scalp. I suggest allowing your sebum to do that job. Just oil the length, only, by itself, single.
heidi w.

I've been oiling my scalp because I want my hair to grow faster ! I'm kinda of desperate lol

bekahleigh
December 9th, 2013, 03:05 AM
I section my hair in 4 (part down the middle, then just behind the ears), and work kind of systematically along each section. I also lift up my roots with one hand and apply the oil to my scalp with the other, to make sure it's on my scalp and not just my hair. Once I have oil all over I take put all the clips so my hair is no longer sectioned and massage for 10 minutes or so. I still get a lot of oil on my hair but I do feel like my scalp is evenly covered . Working systematically along each sections took a while when I first started but now I've been doing it this way for a while i find it really doesn't take very long. I hope this helps :)

This sounds like a great method. I also have been having the same questions as the OP, hopefully this helps solve the issue.