PDA

View Full Version : Traction Sensitive Scalp Question

Tigermama
December 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have waist length thin curly hair. My ends are fragile and prone to fairy knots and breakage, so I wear updos most of the time. The problem is, I develop sore spots from pressure very easily. Does anyone have any ideas for updo that:

Will hold for 16 hours
Looks professional
Won't put any weight on my front or top mid back of scalp

Thank You!

Kaelee
December 7th, 2013, 09:29 AM
You can try disc bun but honestly....16 hours is asking a *lot*. I would say something braided would have to be your go-too but I don't have enough length for most updos yet unfortunately.

Madora
December 7th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I don't know if this would help, but here's a link to a two strand rope crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You might want to try leaving it up for an hour, then taking it down. Next day, increase the time and see how your pressure points respond. Be sure to not do it too tightly.

neko_kawaii
December 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM
What works best for me is a braided pinless bun, which isn't really pinless. You start with a braid, english, french, dutch - doesn't matter. Insert a stick, fork, barrette, pretty much anything through the braid where you want the center of the bun. For an english braid this would be just above where the actual braid starts. Then wrap the braid behind the object until the tassel is tucked in. Now you can secure the tassel with pins (I use a spin pin) or a stick or fork. As long as the tassel was properly secured, this bun will hold for days, and because it is based on a braid which distributes weight well, it is highly unlikely to pull and cause scalp fatigue.

YamaMaya
December 7th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Spin pins have been my savior, They hold tight but don't pull my hair. My hair is very finicky and I have to tie it pretty tight to get anything to stay, but with spin pins I can set and forget for an entire work day. No need to readjust.

What works best for me is a braided pinless bun, which isn't really pinless. You start with a braid, english, french, dutch - doesn't matter. Insert a stick, fork, barrette, pretty much anything through the braid where you want the center of the bun. For an english braid this would be just above where the actual braid starts. Then wrap the braid behind the object until the tassel is tucked in. Now you can secure the tassel with pins (I use a spin pin) or a stick or fork. As long as the tassel was properly secured, this bun will hold for days, and because it is based on a braid which distributes weight well, it is highly unlikely to pull and cause scalp fatigue.
Any chance you could post a video tutorial? I'm more of a visual learner and I'd like to try this one :)

melusine963
December 7th, 2013, 12:12 PM

Well, you've just prompted me to try this style. :) It's certainly comfortable.

lapushka
December 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
A very loose cinnabun with a simple, no-nonsense fork (like Quattro, or Ravenslair). The key is how loose you do your bun, because the tighter, the more traction. It's going to be both uncomfortable that way in the back, but also puts tension on your roots, everywhere.

neko_kawaii
December 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
As you wish. Video tutorial in my blog. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=114369)

YamaMaya
December 7th, 2013, 01:17 PM
As you wish. Video tutorial in my blog. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=114369)

Yay thanks :)

Tigermama
December 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thank you all so much! I am super excited to try all of these. I am certainly grateful for all your suggestions.

Kaelee- I'll check out the disc bun. Thanks for the idea!
Madora- The two strand rope crown braid is beautiful. I never thought of that and I will be trying it. Great idea to test things for an hour and then take down. Thank you for the link!
Neko_Kawaii- Love the idea of a braid for the base to distribute the weight, and thanks for the video link! I wore this today and so far so good.
Yama Maya and Lapushka- Thank you for suggesting spin pins and a simple fork, I am in a mini claw clip rut currently.

You all rock!

BlazingHeart
December 8th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I'd try a vortex bun. Really wide, even distribution of the weight, with lots of anchor points so no one spot is holding much weight.