PDA

View Full Version : silicone in shampoo?

ErinLeigh
December 7th, 2013, 07:01 AM
It's getting harder and harder to find a shampoo without silicones. Does anyone know what the purpose of having them in the poo is? I understand conditioner or leave ins..but shampoo?
Does it effect the cleansing power of the shampoo?
Does it coat the strand and make it hard for the conditioner to get in?
I don't have issue with cones for some of the time but cant understand why they are in shampoo. I'm so worried about not getting moisture INTO my hair, thinking the shampoo cones will block it. Is that a valid concern or not really? I can't find good info on this so if anyone has experience with coney shampoo please tell me what you know...or why you use it.

Sillage
December 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I use L'oreal EverPure Smooth shampoo which contains silicones and I love it. Really makes my hair feel silky and cleans my hair and scalp very well. It's the only shampoo that actually makes my hair noticeably smoother.

I don't think silicones block moisture (water) from getting into my hair at all-- after all my hair is really wet when I get out of the shower :laugh:.

sourgrl
December 7th, 2013, 07:54 AM
My favorite high end shampoo has water soluble cones in it. While I don't know why they would put cones in shampoo, I loved the shine I got from it.

biogirl87
December 7th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Erin, I think silicones in shampoo are there to provide some amount of conditioning. They would not block moisture from getting into your hair (after all, if they did, many people would not be able to wash their hair at all since then it would be impossible to get hair wet) because there are probably enough surfactants in the shampoo to keep silicones from sticking around in your hair after it dries.

Hope other members can explain this better, but I do not think you need to worry about silicones being in shampoo.

ErinLeigh
December 7th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I use L'oreal EverPure Smooth shampoo which contains silicones and I love it. Really makes my hair feel silky and cleans my hair and scalp very well. It's the only shampoo that actually makes my hair noticeably smoother.

I don't think silicones block moisture (water) from getting into my hair at all-- after all my hair is really wet when I get out of the shower :laugh:.

I have the Everstrong with cones. Haven't used it yet as I was worried. I also have the Eversleek which is cone free. so thought I would try thestrong line When I got the Everstrong i thought it would be cone free as well.I'm going to try it based on your post and will see how it goes. It's odd, the shampoo has the cones but not the matching conditioner.

ErinLeigh
December 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys. I dont know why I was so worried. I recently started reading labels on shampoo so why I am sure i have used coney shampoo before, I couldn't be sure.
I'm going to add it into my rotation and see what I think.