PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again?

animetor7
December 6th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I always fall into the trap of cones. I keep hearing gurus like Torrinpaige talk about how they use them and they help their hair, and every single time I hear one of these lovely ladies I forget that their hair is not my hair, and what works for them will not necessarily work for me. So I try cones again in the interest of protecting my ends, adding shine, slip etc. why I want more slip with 1b hair you'll have to explain to me, but I digress. The point is I always try cones again and it always ends in gummy ends that don't absorb moisture, split and a clarifying wash to fix things. So after that rather long explanation of my issues, what do you all keep going back to even though you know it won't work for you?

sparrowswing
December 6th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Not to question the validity of your experience, but are you sure it's the cones causing the problem? The reason I ask is that gummy texture is usually the result of desperately needing more protein (it doesn't want to absorb any more moisture because it's already over-moisturized). Hair likes a nice balance of protein and moisture. Cones do help hold moisture in, so it could certainly contribute to the problem, but I don't think they alone would cause so much of a difference. If you're using the same products each time, it might not be the cones' fault at all. Either way, you might want to consider some sort of protein treatment to see if it helps at all.

animetor7
December 6th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Not to question the validity of your experience, but are you sure it's the cones causing the problem? The reason I ask is that gummy texture is usually the result of desperately needing more protein (it doesn't want to absorb any more moisture because it's already over-moisturized). Hair likes a nice balance of protein and moisture. Cones do help hold moisture in, so it could certainly contribute to the problem, but I don't think they alone would cause so much of a difference. If you're using the same products each time, it might not be the cones' fault at all. Either way, you might want to consider some sort of protein treatment to see if it helps at all.

Thank you for the reply :). I do think its the cones as this seems to be the result whenever I use them. I use coconut oil frequently and that helps with protein correct? Maybe an egg treatment is also in order. Any specific protein suggestions?

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I'm a finey, too, and have 1b hair, but I want the slip, because my hair tends to "stick" to my clothing and such and get tangled very easily. Cones prevent mechanical damage because of their slip, and they also help keep my flyaways down. But if you have found that cones don't work, then don't use them. There is no law for or against their use.

Yozhik
December 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Things that I keep going back to even though they're not the best: SLS. I find it so convenient and it gives me the "clean" I'm used to, but they almost always result in flakes, especially around my temples. :(

Also, hair elastics. I try to use them minimally, and I got scrunchies to replace them and mitigate damage on my ends, but they're so darn convenient (and I promptly lost track of my silk scrunchies :rolleyes:)! I try to use hair friendlier ones, but still always think about the damage. :?

maborosi
December 6th, 2013, 11:05 PM
What cones do you use, out of curiousity? I absolutely cannot use certain ones or else my hair gets really greasy/dry/"sticky", whereas others are my hair's saving grace.

Cones are like oils- there are probably some your hair absolutely loves, and some your hair absolutely hates.

~maborosi~

HintOfMint
December 6th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Thank you for the reply :). I do think its the cones as this seems to be the result whenever I use them. I use coconut oil frequently and that helps with protein correct? Maybe an egg treatment is also in order. Any specific protein suggestions?

The molecules of protein in egg are actually too big to get into hair and stay there, so usually commercial protein treatments are necessary. Personally, I'd recommend a go or two with Mane and Tail conditioner. It's cone free and chockablock filled with protein that can actually bind to your hair. Also coconut oil helps prevent protein loss, but does not contain any protein itself to add to your hair.

As for the original query, my situation is like yours but with protein. My hair just isn't at its best with protein, although with minimal amounts, it can do okay, but only okay. But I like experimenting with different conditioners and a lot of the best smelling ones contain some form of protein. So I tell myself it won't be so bad this time, and I'll go through a bottle. But my ends always end up crunchy and my hair isn't as soft as it could be without it.

Flor
December 6th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Stretching washes in order to train my scalp to be less oily. Doesn't work for me. Yes, I've learned how to tolerate greasy hair and I'm not embarrassed to go out with my roots not perfectly clean, but otherwise - nothing. Still a grease-ball :D Trying to look at it from a more positive side now. At least my hair gets plenty natural conditioning LOL

Wildcat Diva
December 6th, 2013, 11:57 PM

Gelatin treatment. Mix a half a packet in a tablespoon of hot water. You can add some conditioner, yogurt, coconut oil, olive oil. It will penetrate.

Another favorite of mine is Mega-tek horsey hair treatment that I got from the tractor supply store. It's expensive but a bottle has lasted me a year of occasional treatments.

sparrowswing
December 7th, 2013, 01:23 AM
It could be. Some hair just doesn't like cones at all. After a year and a half, I'm starting to realize that my hair doesn't like going sulfate-free. It can still help to try a few things and see if there is a change.

I've heard good things about Mane & Tail as well as Aubrey Organics GPB (Glycogen Protein Balancing) shampoos and conditioners, but I've never used any sort of protein treatment myself, so I can't say how well they might work for you. I've also read that egg proteins can't penetrate the hair, so they mostly just do some superficial conditioning, like most oils. From my experience, oils don't really add much protein, but they help lock in moisture, so if your problem is a lack of protein, the oils might make it seem worse, especially with cones over top of them. That said, some people swear that a mix of egg and EVOO is all the protein treatment they need (I've mostly heard this from people with very coarse hair, so that could be why it works for them and not for others). I can't imagine the egg treatment could do much harm, if you wanted to try it first.

Keep in mind that protein can easily be overdone, given the ultra-strength protein treatments available for those who regularly fry their hair, so if you do switch to a protein-rich shampoo and/or conditioner, use it a couple of times (or even just once?) and then switch back to something else and see if your hair has improved.

tigereye
December 7th, 2013, 02:56 AM
I have the same issues with cones. They actually seem to lock moisture out of my hair instead of in, so my ends would get dry and brittle and split. I've not used them in ages now, but it's most definitely a no-go (especially the likes of ammodimethicone) now that i am allergic to SLS and SLES.
It's unusual that yours go gummy though, since mine always went brittle. I remember reading early on that (food-grade)coconut oil doesn't really contain any protein (which is why my hair does well with it - it hates protein) but coconut milk does.

sparrowswing
December 7th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I have the same issues with cones. They actually seem to lock moisture out of my hair instead of in, so my ends would get dry and brittle and split. I've not used them in ages now, but it's most definitely a no-go (especially the likes of ammodimethicone) now that i am allergic to SLS and SLES.
It's unusual that yours go gummy though, since mine always went brittle. I remember reading early on that (food-grade)coconut oil doesn't really contain any protein (which is why my hair does well with it - it hates protein) but coconut milk does.
Again, it's all about that balance between moisture and protein. The brittleness is a sign of not enough moisture, which in essence means you have too much protein for the amount of moisture your hair is getting. Protein helps strengthen the hair and protect it, bonding with the cuticle and forming a barrier. If you have too much protein, the moisture can't get in there to do it's job, so your hair dries out and becomes brittle. If you don't have enough protein, your hair keeps soaking up moisture until it's structural integrity begins to fail, leading to a sticky, mushy, or gummy texture. Really, you and the OP have the exact opposite problems for the exact same reasons when it comes to cones. For the OP, the cones are locking in moisture and there's not enough protein to hold it, while cones are locking moisture out of your hair.

faellen
December 7th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I have 1b hair too and I love having slip! Which is why I still use cones.

As for what I keep going back to despite it not really working for me... I'll have to say CO. It always ends up working great the first time, then subsequent times my hair just looks flat and like I never washed it at all. Yet I keep going back to it, because so many people say it's the best thing ever and I have a hard time accepting that my hair just won't play ball. Lol.

animetor7
December 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have 1b hair too and I love having slip! Which is why I still use cones.

As for what I keep going back to despite it not really working for me... I'll have to say CO. It always ends up working great the first time, then subsequent times my hair just looks flat and like I never washed it at all. Yet I keep going back to it, because so many people say it's the best thing ever and I have a hard time accepting that my hair just won't play ball. Lol.

Yeah I like the slip in my hair, but if I use cones it literally feels like silk and will not stay up no matter how I configure it because it is just too slippery! XD

lapushka
December 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
So I try cones again in the interest of protecting my ends, adding shine, slip etc. why I want more slip with 1b hair you'll have to explain to me, but I digress. The point is I always try cones again and it always ends in gummy ends that don't absorb moisture, split and a clarifying wash to fix things. So after that rather long explanation of my issues, what do you all keep going back to even though you know it won't work for you?

Torrin's hair is slightly wavy, and that indeed might have something to do with it, the texture of the hair. I have 2a hair and need cones, and no, even though I have F hair, my hair doesn't get slippery. It's just enough slip not to get tangles. So I don't do "no cones" because I know I will get tangly hair. Everyone's mileage varies, I guess. :shrug: