PDA

View Full Version : Emu Oil?

AspenSong
December 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Has anyone used this on their hair?
I ask because a few people I know have been using this for aches and such and had great help from it (also supposedly good for Acne...making a metal note of that!) and mentioned it being great on hair.
Just wondering it anyone here had used it before, etc?

I'm always up for something good for my hair, though I somehow wonder if I'd feel odd putting basically bird fat on my head. lol.

Seeshami
December 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I dunno but I use to know some one with an Emu Farm and my Mommy has an Emu Egg.

RainbowBowser
December 6th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Emu oil is hella moisturizing for skin problems, but I don't know about hair.

Hairheart
December 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I have used it straight on my scalp. I also use emu oil conditioner. And it's supposed to be really helpful to block dht out of the follicles, which can be a cause for hair loss. I don't think it has really stopped any HL for me when I go through it, but that might be because it's TE hair loss and not AGA. I don't use it on my scalp right now though, the pure oil that is, because my scalp recently threw a fit and got red, irritated and flaky. But, it's great to put on the body.

Some people do well with oils on the face for acne, some like me, not so well. It causes me to break out like there's no more tomorrow. Which is sad, I'm a true believer that oils can keep the skin youthful.

If you try it, please write here again and tell us how it's working for you.

spidermom
December 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have used it and liked it. My first bottle was odorless. The second bottle smelled like rancid chicken fat, and I haven't used emu oil since. I like coconut oil - nice scent and works beautifully.

DweamGoiL
December 6th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I used it years ago as well. I found it was a bit too greasy for me. It's not as heavy as EVOO, but definitely heavier than coconut and jojoba.

AspenSong
December 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Hmm. Thanks....
Rancid chicken grease. I was afraid of that possibility. Haha. I may get some when I'm able even just for my bad ankle, if hair and skin testing is a fai.

truepeacenik
December 6th, 2013, 11:17 PM
It's in sweet success hair oil, I discovered.
And it has a schmaltz smell. Not quite rancid, but definitely present.

Wildcat Diva
December 6th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I have had some last basically ten years without going rancid. I used it on my skin mostly and I really liked it. I am down to the last of my bottle. I want some more, but it's pretty pricey. When we are a two income family again (hopefully soon), I'm going to order a nice big bottle from the same company as my other bottle (local too!). 12 ounces for $70.

faellen
December 7th, 2013, 02:59 AM
I've only used it on my skin (
it's recommended for oil massaging stretched ears) and it's fabulous stuff. Not tried it on hair. I've only ever bought odourless bottles though!

Sillage
December 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
The emu oil I've used has been odorless. It's ok for hair and skin but doesn't blow me away like watermelon seed oil or coffee butter or shea butter.