PDA

View Full Version : Crushing vitamins into conditioner?

LaurelSpring
December 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
My daughter mentioned the other day that she knew some ladies that would take prenatal vitamins and crush them into their conditioner. I have always been a believer that you should eat your vitamins to get good hair but now I am starting to wonder if there is any merit in doing this. I had some prenatals sitting around from my last vitamin overload so I started trying it to see if anything amazing happened. I also started doing some castor oil soaks again since I tend to shed in the fall. I did notice some pretty good growth but I don't know exactly what to attribute it to.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the possible merits of topical vitamins. Would they penetrate and help growth and health. Just curious....

tbonita
December 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Just don't crush vitamin C tablets if ya don't want to lighten up!

No, seriously you'd probably have to have C paste on for a while to see that effect. I think the vitamins are more effective when taken internally. Certain Ayurvedic herbs, however...

faellen
December 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I've seen this mentioned around the internet before, and to be honest, I can't really see the merit in it. I didn't think the hair shaft could absorb any vitamins, being as it is dead material... maybe the scalp could, but why bother rubbing crushed up vitamins on your head instead of just ingesting them? Though to be honest, I'm not sure that I recommend taking them anyway if you're not pregnant. They contain quite a bit of iron, so although you might get a bit more hair growth, you'll probably be constipated to high heaven as well.

turtlelover
December 6th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Crushed Vitamin C will pull a LOT of haircolor out of hair. Just a warning! Not sure it works for permanent color as well, but it DEFINITELY works on demi-perm!

jeanniet
December 6th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I doubt you'd get much effect with this method, and it seems like more trouble than it's worth. Anyway, if you want to improve nutrition for your hair, work on what you eat rather than vitamins. Pills just are not the same as food.