PDA

View Full Version : Help with my hair care routine? What is best? Especially people who CO wash?

Leslieslsa
December 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM
So a little background info. My hair is butt crack length and thick. Right now, this is my routine because I do an hour of cardio a day and sweat a lot so I don't want the sweat clogging the hair follicles or sitting on the hair. I usually wash it every three days, and on the days I don't wash it, I just rinse it real well and apply a leave in conditioner. Is that the best thing I can do? I also just bought pure aloe vera and wanted to start applying that so maybe I could just let that sit on my hair and then rinse it? And I also have a cone free conditioner, so cowashing is an option. I just don't know what the BEST option is. My hair is in really good shape as well. Despite wetting it everyday.

Eliska
December 6th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Honestly, if you're happy with your hair, and the amount of effort that you put in, there's really no reason to change your routine. Are you looking for different results, or just a change in routine because you're bored with what you do?

Leslieslsa
December 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I am looking for what will keep it the healthiest in the long term. What will prevent damage the best? I am willing to put any amount of effort into. I want to definitely incorporate the aloe vera into my routine. I guess the big question is, which is better and less damaging? Just using plain water and rinsing the hair, or using the conditioner and cowashing?

Mayflower
December 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have no experience with CO-washing, but I workout three times a week and combat the sweatiness by doing scalp-only washes (with a sulfate-free, gentle shampoo) whenever I find the need. If I wear a very high bun or ponytail, only the first inch or so of the front, sides and back get sweaty, so I can just rinse those parts. It prevents the length of my hair getting wet, not only because it's damaging, but because I don't want to condition everyday (mine's expensive) and I can't handle waiting for it to dry. The length only gets wet twice a week and that's more than enough hassle for me (mine's just above butt crack and thick too).

If your hair is healthy, I'd just keep on doing what you're doing. :)

Eliska
December 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM
From everything I've read, the best way to keep it healthy in the long term is benign neglect. Avoid mechanical damage whenever you can by putting it up out of the way in protective hairstyles (buns and braids, mostly), don't sleep with it loose, don't rip through knots when brushing/combing.

Beyond that, I've only just started CO-washing myself, and I've been experimenting with various other things (vinegar rinses and coconut oil, mostly) for only a few months, so I'm not really the most knowledgeable. Good luck working out what's best for your hair, though!

Leslieslsa
December 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I decided to just cowash it today with cone free conditioner. But I am not going the gym the next two days so I won't have to wet it.

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Anytime my hair goes from wet to dry, I do a CO wash, and so far, my hair is looking very nice with that. Doing the CO wash with cone-free on top prevents build-up, and I use coney on the length to give it enough slip to work with. For the gym, putting it up in a high bun and then covering that bun with a shower cap so that the length never gets wet in the shower might work for you. Then all you would need to do is wash (with conditioner, or shampoo, your preference) the roots, and you would not need to deal with wet length for several hours. Another option is to use some dry shampoo at your roots. Somewhere I read that you can blow dry the roots so there's no sweat, and then apply the dry shampoo. Good luck. Let us know what routine you find that works best for you. I'm at MBL and been struggling with motivation to exercise after my half marathon in November... I don't want to wet my hair and have to re-style it!