PDA

View Full Version : Hair & Scalp massager.

Hairheart
December 6th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone! I'm so exited to finally have joined this awesome community. I just posted my introduction in the newbie forum.

Im quite hair obsessed, my dream is to have waist long beautiful and silky soft flowing hair.but, so far it's just a dream. But, I try. The other day I found a plastic pad with handles to put on your hand and with tiny little "pins" of plastic to massage the scalp with. I bought 2 for 1 dollar ( Walgreens, at the hair toy section) and so far I love it! I can really deep massage my scalp with both my hands at the same time, and it feels divine.

I'm hoping it will stimulate a faster growth, but even if it doesn't, it feels just so lovely. I can feel how the blood starts to flow. It grips so good that I also can loosen up my tight scalp at the very top.

I have never knew these existed before, or I would have bought them years and years ago. I found them by accident at I was looking for new hair clips. Have anyone of you tried these? Did it do anything to the speed or density of your hair?

stachelbeere
December 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM
sounds really nice and relaxing! I think I know which ones you mean

I have this one (http://www.tesco-shopping.com/hmleft_med.jpg) and I would never recommend it because it causes a lot of shedding! but it feels really incredible once in a while ;)

Hairheart
December 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hi Stachelbeere and thank you for replying!

Oh no! Is it possible any scalp massager can cause shedding? I have just gotten through a major shed, it has stopped now the past month. I hope I don't cause another one now!

And I used to have that one you're referring to. Yes, it was so nice, I loved it. But then my kids played with it and it kind of broke, lol. It gave such a nice, tingling effect. These "brushes" ( reminding somewhat of the brushes you use on horses coats) gives a more deep and "sturdy" massage.

Anyways, thank you for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for increased shedding and if it starts up again, I'll ease up on it's use.

swearnsue
December 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have some of those but I use them on the dogs. I think I read that using those too much can hurt your hair and I tend to over do things so it's better I not.

I think it's mechanical damage? Causes static that hurts the hair cuticle? Don't remember, but the dogs really love it.

stachelbeere
December 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Hi Stachelbeere and thank you for replying!

Oh no! Is it possible any scalp massager can cause shedding? I have just gotten through a major shed, it has stopped now the past month. I hope I don't cause another one now!

And I used to have that one you're referring to. Yes, it was so nice, I loved it. But then my kids played with it and it kind of broke, lol. It gave such a nice, tingling effect. These "brushes" ( reminding somewhat of the brushes you use on horses coats) gives a more deep and "sturdy" massage.

Anyways, thank you for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for increased shedding and if it starts up again, I'll ease up on it's use.

I think that if you enjoy massages in moderation it shouldn't cause any harm... but the one I posted caused so much shedding directly after I used it (I was using it for maybe 2-3 minutes) that I had to stop. Nowadays I 'massage' my scalp by brushing it with a tangle teezer. I really feels wonderful :)

AmyBeth
December 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I massage daily and do believe that it encourages good growth. I use only my fingertips because I don't trust any type of instrument to be gentle enough.

Foxylocks
December 6th, 2013, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Hairheart;2584902]
Oh no! Is it possible any scalp massager can cause shedding?
It is. I once tried to do scalp massage with my fingers, and I lost a frightening amount. Besides, I hate the feeling of anything on my scalp, so I just prefer to leave it alone.

jacqueline101
December 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have a vibrating hair brush it's great. I use the massaging side but not the brush side due to the brush having ball tips. I do love mine and I don't think mine causes any extra shedding. I got mine really cheap off of eBay it was sent from over seas.

Hairheart
December 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi and thank you everyone for your replies!

It sounds like massage cause shedding to some. It's good to know, I will stop as soon as I notice even an extra strand falling (honestly, I can't spare any at this moment)
I haven't used the "brush" to comb/ brush, only just sort of lift the scalp and loosen it up. Kind of moving it around some. But maybe that's not all too good for the follicles. I will be cautious!

Again, I'm so happy to have joined this fab group! :)

Hairheart
December 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM
After reading some of your replies here about possible shedding from scalp massage, I didn't use mine last night. I'm just sooo scared for my shedding to return, honestly, I'll go bald if I lose any more strands, lol. So, I kept on reading here at this fab forum and came across "horn combs". Of course I got intrigued, it sounds just great for scalp and hair, so I'm sold! I went ahead and ordered a goat horn comb on eBay for a good price and now I'm so exited to get it home!

I never really even thought about the negative effects that plastic combs can have ( and the scalp massager is plastic) and how they can cause static and such. I just realized all the positive effects from an organic horn comb, all thanks to this forum! :) I'm thinking I'm gonna order a second one for my daughter as well. Her hair is very fine, just like mine and can get pretty static and "clingy" especially in this winter weather.

So, should I oil it in when I first recieve it, before using? And perhaps wait one day before combing my hair? What oil should I use? Since I do have scalp issues that seems to get helped with tee tree oil, would it be ok to oil the comb with pure essential TTO? And, how often should I continue to do that?

I also read on here to never wet the comb, since it can get a horrible stench. Luckily I stopped combing through my hair when it's wet, right after washing it. I always used to, but stopped that months ago when my HL was at it's peak. I'm so glad I did, I now realize it's murder on the hair. And to think that used to be my daily routine...* shudder*

Nowadays I mostly just finger comb my hair when it's dry , just use a comb a tiny bit in my bangs and lightly over the back to smooth it out. I truly believe it makes a world of difference in the quality of my strands.
I do blowdry my hair still, but on low setting and never until it's bone dry. If I don't, my scalp itch gets intensified and it takes too long time to self dry. I also always end it with cold air for a minute or two, to help close the cuticles and perhaps the follicles/pores too. This is something I never did before, then I used to blast my hair on full heat until completely dry and go straight for the flatiron. And now I haven't used the flatiron for months and months.

I so hope that my new hair care and also this horn comb will give me back my hair...At the beginning of this year, my hair was great and at it's longest since a very long time. Damn TE...! :)