PDA

View Full Version : Severe dandruff/psoriasis

littlebit8402
December 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ok I need help. I have patches of what seems like scabs on my scalp. I have had this problem since I was a kid. I'm 30 now. I've been to 3 different dermatologists in the last few years. One told me it was severe dandruff one told me it was psoriasis. And the third just took my word for what it was. I have tried all kinds of dandruff shampoos, I've tried coconut shampoos, I've tried tar shampoos. Nothing works!!! Please help! I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go to another doctor.

Bethmc
December 6th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Tea tree shampoo is really good for scalp problems.

red-again
December 6th, 2013, 03:58 AM
My daughter has this. I have started mixing indian herbs amla, brahmi, bringraji etc up into a thin liquidy paste and she applies it to her hair in the shower, rubs gently into the scalp then down the length as I put aloe and conditioning herbs too and then leaves it to soak in for five to ten mins. Rinses it off and applies a tiny bit of conditioner from ears down. Her scalp is getting better by the day. No loose flakes, no damp scaly patches. I use it on my hair too and the strength, fullness, shine etc I get is amazing. My scalp too, even though not problematic feels like it can breathe.

eta, I buy my herbs from henna sooq. They do one that they mix themselves with about 8 different powders in it. It's well worth it I think. It's called sukesh Ayurveda. I will order hat next time as it works out cheaper in the long run. I would buy the ziziphyus sina Christi (Sedr) too as the blend is missing that and the reviews of it look great.

You ou could look at the h.s website and click on the product descriptions as to which will be more suited to you and order those and blend them yourself.

Scarlet_Heart
December 6th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Henna is great for dandruff. You don't have to get any color uptake from it either. You can use it just for the benefits of it. Usually, you add hot water to henna (plus other things if you like, but it's not necessary) and you let the dye release for a few hours before you put it on your head, and then leave it on for several hours so the color will take. But for you, here's what I would try.

75-100g henna (natural, body art-quality)
2-3 drops tea tree oil
1tsp oil (of your choice: coconut, olive, jojoba, etc)

Do NOT NOT NOT add anything acidic to your henna like lemon juice or vinegar. Not only will it make your hair dry/brittle, but it will irritate your scalp.

Bring a kettle of water to a boil, let cool for 5 minutes.
Add enough water to henna to make it a yogurt consistency
Add tea tree and other oil

You might find it helpful to put the concoction in an applicator bottle. You can get them cheap at Sally's but you can also use a condiment bottle, like a mustard bottle, something with thin spout. If you've made the henna liquidy, however, and not pastey, you should have no problem getting it to your scalp.

Gently massage the henna mixture into your scalp and leave it on for an hour or two (preferably under a processing cap), but no more because you don't want the dye to release on you. Then rinse it out.

littlebit8402
December 6th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I've tried tea tree shampoo from a salon and it made it worse.

jrmviola
December 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
i used to get Psoriasis on my elbows really bad. We have a product called "bag balm" which you can buy at wal-greens or hancock fabrics, sometimes also at walmart. It is an old product originally designed for dealing with the chapped underparts of milk cows, and my grandma has used it all her life on herself as a general ointment (she is 83) and so have i (im 29). It is a thick yellow paste that is part lanolin, part petrolium, and 1 chemical and comes in a green tin.

Scrub the effected area until all the scab is off and it is at skin level (not comfortable so i would soak in the bathtub first) then smear a LARGE amount, like 1/8 or 1/4 inch in thickness and leave on overnight. I would need to cover my elbows with two good layers of fabric (i used tube socks) and the fabric will be ruined for anything else. By morning it will be soaked in (takes a while). This process takes time but eventually, given a month or two, it will totally go away. Mine never came back.

Having said all that i dont see why this couldnt work on your scalp. Its greasy and nasty and such but there is no reason why it couldnt work...

littlebit8402
December 6th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. I think i will try the Henna Sooq website and see if anything works for me. I noticed that it says you should only do it a couple times a week for a scalp treatment. But I'm wondering if i should do it every day until I get rid of it...

Leafy
December 6th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Psoriasis can easily be mistaken for dandruff when your scalp is affected. Assuming it's the more common type of psoriasis where the skin looks red and the thickened skin starts cracking, it's the same as what I had (unfortunately I am affected all over). I'll tell you what I have done and I hope it will help.

I used to have it on my scalp - but not anymore. This is the shampoo I used: Click (http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena%C2%AE-T/Gel%C2%AE-Therapeutic-Shampoo-125ml_867575/?CAWELAID=334512259&cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-Boots+Beauty-_-Beauty+-+PLAs&kw={keyword}&cagpspn=pla)
The good news is it hasn't come back on my scalp since. But that could just be me. This shampoo worked for me, though it doesn't have a nice smell.

Nowadays, I only have it on my forehead (under my fringe) and over my ribs, stomach and a tiny bit at the sides of my back. I use E45 cream/lotion you can get from Wilkinsons, Superdrug and probably Boots too (if you're in the UK - I don't know american stores).

I did go to a dermatologist once and I got all these creams and ointments. They were effective, but they made my skin and hair really greasy so I found other options. The only name I can remember from the stuff from the dermatologist is Dobovet, which the ointment that goes on your body. But even though it shouldn't be applied under the hair (would be impractical anyway as it is super super thick and greasy-like), it would be the wrong strength for the scalp. I'm afraid I can't remember the name for the scalp application I had as I no longer have these medications (but to let you know, the shampoo and the scalp applicator were not used at the same time, so I know the shampoo itself worked. The dermatologist just wanted to be thorough as my psoriasis was springing up everywhere during my exams).

littlebit8402
December 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM
"I used to have it on my scalp - but not anymore. This is the shampoo I used: Click"
I've used TGel before and it didn't work at all for me.

"They were effective, but they made my skin and hair really greasy"
Yea everything I was prescribed left my hair so greasy and gross. THe whole point of me trying to get rid of it is so i could wear my hair down without the embarrassment. But then it was so greasy there was no way i was going to wear it down.

Leafy
December 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Did you try it for very long?
Mine didn't go down with one bottle, as my psoriasis can get very stubborn. I used TGel for quite some time until it went away gradually, then used it for a little while longer to make sure it stayed that way.

With my ointments, when I noticed it was always making everything about me greasy, I stopped. The psoriasis immediately flared back up again.

I'm just wondering, that if you didn't use the TGel for long, maybe you should give it another go for longer? And concentrate on always keeping the affected area(s) moisturised to stop them drying up really bad, and eventually calm down.

-----------
If you used it for a while though and went through plenty of bottles, than ignore what I said above. Unfortunately I don't know what else to suggest as I haven't needed to try anything else.

torrilin
December 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM
If it's psoriasis, it's a genetic auto-immune disorder. So your genes are a bit weird and your body is naturally attacking itself. My partner has severe psoriasis, and it definitely sucks. There is nothing he can do tho to become cured besides gene therapy, which isn't a viable treatment yet. So instead he and I work with his doctors to maintain a treatment regimen that keeps things to a level he can live with. This involves using a fairly specific set of personal care products (mostly fragrance free, lots of coal tar, minimal potential irritants), UV light treatments, steroid cream, and vitamin D. If everything is going well, he drops from about 50% body coverage to maybe as low as 10%.

It is a pretty unfun disease, and in a lot of ways it is very similar to other autoimmune disorders like asthma. It's very important to manage your stress levels and take care of basics like getting enough vitamins, minerals and water. But for severe psoriasis, you will need at least some medical intervention... so hopefully yours is not as bad as my partner's.