PDA

View Full Version : "Compact cut" method, short layers, good-to-know

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Have to make a remark on this method.

This is the method with the ponytail on the forehead, the method for short layers.

When my hair was first layered, 4 inches were cut off. This past week another 2 inches were cut off on top of that, but nothing of my length came off with it! This makes me wonder how many inches you actually need to cut off for this method to work, and for the hair to be totally layered - without cutting anything off of the length of the hair.

You still might want to be cautious when doing this method for the first time, and go gradually, though! It is *quite* heavily layered and gives you a deep V, and you might be shocked.

Don't do this if you do not want short-short layers. I'd actually say, don't do this when your hair is shorter than BSL.

leslissocool
December 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I had amazing cuts with the compact method! Before LHC most of my cuts were done that way. I have some photos too, I have to hide my face since it's the public side of the forum...

jessj48
December 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I was messing around with my hair and decided for that cutting method to look good on me I'd need to be around waist length. :/

I'm toying with combining that method with the Feye's method. Parting my hair at the back and bringing it forward into a ponytail near my chin. I can't quite visualise if it will give me the long layers I want.

swearnsue
December 5th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Do you have any pics?

leslissocool
December 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Link (http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/)to a blog showing how to get long layers with this method.

You can look up "ponytail cut" too.

Pictures:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/63001_1464649134197_6300288_n_zps0d76a77a.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/27873_1290772235036_3563809_n_zpsa1dd6bab.jpg

Honestly I LOVED my compact cut until it got to waist. It's NOT a good cut IMO for anything past waist.

It started to look stringy, but note that I had a lot of damage on my hair in all of those pictures since I bleached it over 7 times and had blonde hair before LHC. I eventually decided to grow long and cut all the layers off (I finished cutting the layers this year, it took a while).

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/287237_1952562619382_1620766_o_zpsf4b26d15.jpg

It's a great "trendy" cut and honestly it looked really great on my hair.

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Do you have any pics?

No sorry, just from when it was last trimmed. You can friend me to see if you want. My album is private. :)

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Honestly I LOVED my compact cut until it got to waist. It's NOT a good cut IMO for anything past waist.

It started to look stringy, but note that I had a lot of damage on my hair in all of those pictures.

It still is okay for me, but I'm not far past waist (halfway to hip).

leslissocool
December 5th, 2013, 06:23 PM
It still is okay for me, but I'm not far past waist (halfway to hip).

I wonder though if you could only do the upper half for long layers? And get the bottom to be u shaped? I think that would actually make it a nice hemline, more of FF layers, that way it wouldn't look as stringy growing out.

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I wonder though if you could only do the upper half for long layers? And get the bottom to be u shaped? I think that would actually make it a nice hemline, more of FF layers, that way it wouldn't look as stringy growing out.

That could be done, probably, by sectioning the hair off. Say above the ears? I'd do it that way, in any case.

TiaKitty
December 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM
The compact cut is the the way I've cut my hair in my signature photo! It worked well, and it freed up some curl, while keeping it tapered nicely for updos. The only thing I can say that I'm unhappy with is that I've got splits again, already; I even used my sharp hair cutting scissors! No fault of the cut, I'd imagine. Just my super splitty hair. :D

When I did it, I measured out between 6 and 7-ish inches. I did see a difference in my length. I needed it off, though. So, maybe because you did it a while ago, and then did 2 more inches, you'd gained part or most of the original cut back, Lapushka?

ravenreed
December 5th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I still use that method from time to time. Esthetically, I prefer the way layered hair looks, especially as it gets longer. My ends do look a little thin, but I can counter that by making the hemline more U shaped.

Seeshami
December 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Lesli, You're so beautiful. Inside and out. I hope you know you're adored. :flower:

I want to dress you up as snow white and drag you and AspenSong to the mountains for epic photos.

CurlyCap
December 6th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Didn't know it was called a "compact cut" but this is what I used to request when I used to get my hair heavily layered at a salon.

It was great because it let me keep my length, but cut down on the volume of my hair by 2/3s.

Of course, now I love my volume and so go unlayered.

Whatever makes you happiest!

durgidog
December 6th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I use this method as well and I'm just shy of APL. Compared to the ponytail on the top of your head, placing it at your forehead willl leave shorter layers in front and longer layers in back. Depending on how much you cut you can really preserve a lot of length, but also have a deep V with thinner ends. I've watched many videos of this cut and this one is my hands-down favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1SVhIr_-6M&list=PLzirL9bCYtl-sZnetLFW0cEfRtUBdiaon&index=7

I do it the way she does (with hair cutting shears) and shape my back into more of a U-shape on the second cut, since the ponytail cut doesn't remove any length as my hair is relatively short. I don't point cut into my pony since I have wavy hair, but it can really soften the look on straight hair.

Bagginslover
December 6th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I've been doing this cut for more than 2 years now. I do have to put more than one band on my hiar now-I put a couple down the pony tail to keep it all together, then just trim off the very end. I part my hair half way down my ears, and leave that bottom bit out, trim the layers, then do Feyes method on it. Then I further trim around my face (those bits are shorter). It takes about 5 mins in all, and I get a cut better than I ever got in a salon! ;)

lapushka
December 6th, 2013, 05:40 AM
When I did it, I measured out between 6 and 7-ish inches. I did see a difference in my length. I needed it off, though. So, maybe because you did it a while ago, and then did 2 more inches, you'd gained part or most of the original cut back, Lapushka?

First we layered/trimmed to waist, and now again at waist-hip, so I don't know. Could be it, though!

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I am ALL over this!

Let me find a couple of ponytail elastics and see if I can cancel my trim appointment with hairdresser next week!!! (I have a few splits, and the layers need freshened up.)

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!!

Mindy
December 6th, 2013, 08:49 AM
TiaKitty, how long is your shortest layer? Every time I see your signature I have to stop and admire your beautiful hair! I love your hemline and wurls.

I tried Feye's method for a V hemline, but I'm not really happy with it. I'm scared to try this method though. I don't want to lose much bulk, and I would want the shortest layer to be at least APL.

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Just did it. :scissors:

The pony at my front hairline made my bangs too short, but when I put it on top of my head; all the ends lined up fairly well considering my last trim was February! I slid another elastic down into the taper, and cut off a little more than an inch. The velcroing in the ends is gone, and the layers look great!

We'll see how it is in a couple of days, but you probably just saved me 20$ at the hairdressers!

I love you, TLHC'ers. I love you to pieces. :crush:

lapushka
December 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I tried Feye's method for a V hemline, but I'm not really happy with it. I'm scared to try this method though. I don't want to lose much bulk, and I would want the shortest layer to be at least APL.

I'm between waist-hip and my shortest layer is "just" about APL when stretched (it boings up a bit, though).

1nuitblanche
December 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Up until a year ago when I cut back to APL, this is how I maintained my hair. I'd do the compact cut first and then do Feye's method to get a U-shape (although, sometimes I did it straight across at the back since the main reason I did it was to thicken up my ends and there were so many layers that it would still look like a U hemline). It worked well. People never knew that I did it myself, and if I was unhappy with it, it was easy to make another ponytail and go back to make small changes.

Now, I do a variation of it - I just put the ponytail further back on my head and it still works for shorter hair.

Mindy
December 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I'm between waist-hip and my shortest layer is "just" about APL when stretched (it boings up a bit, though).

Thanks for that info lapushka! I'm about the same length, so that helps give me a better idea of how this cut would work for me.

leslissocool
December 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Lesli, You're so beautiful. Inside and out. I hope you know you're adored. :flower:

I want to dress you up as snow white and drag you and AspenSong to the mountains for epic photos.

:crush: Thank you so much! I appreciate it a lot, those were taken right after my kids were born, I was very overweight and quite honestly I was having a lot of body acceptance issues.

OMG I would be all over a longhaired photo shoot with you guys! A trip is in order :D.

torrilin
December 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I just tried this style of cut today, largely because I've been having problems with damage extending pretty far up the shaft of the hair that would be my bangs if I cut it short. Started out in somewhere in the hip to tailbone range, did a pretty generous 4-5" chop, got a lot of split ends off... and my hair is still somewhere in the hip to tailbone range, with the shortest layers extending to maybe elbow length?

Definitely a very V shaped cut, but I'd been thinking of going for a pretty extreme V.

For my taste/hair, there's no way I'd do it with my hair any shorter than waist/elbow.

browneyedsusan
December 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I'm still very happy with my results. Cancelling my hairdresser appointment.

Thank you so much for sharing this cutting method! (I'm sure it's been around for years, but I haven't had enough hair for a ponytail since 1997!)

lapushka
December 9th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm still very happy with my results. Cancelling my hairdresser appointment.

Thank you so much for sharing this cutting method! (I'm sure it's been around for years, but I haven't had enough hair for a ponytail since 1997!)

I'm so glad that your happy with it, because after all it's short layers, and not everyone, well, "appreciates" them. :D

GoldFrappe
December 27th, 2013, 10:46 PM
What type of hemline does this give you?

kidari
December 27th, 2013, 11:27 PM
^^ it gives you a V shape, works better on thicker hair as it can make your ends look thin but it keeps the length while giving you face framing layers

I love and use the compact method! I don't use the ponytail method, I use the Creaclip instead. I section the hair from ear to ear and that top portion I do the compact cut method and the rest of the hair from the ears down I will use Feye's method. This helps my ends to look thicker in the back.

GoldFrappe
December 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
^^ it gives you a V shape, works better on thicker hair as it can make your ends look thin but it keeps the length while giving you face framing layers

I love and use the compact method! I don't use the ponytail method, I use the Creaclip instead. I section the hair from ear to ear and that top portion I do the compact cut method and the rest of the hair from the ears down I will use Feye's method. This helps my ends to look thicker in the back.
Thanks!!! I have a lot of thick hair. And I always wanted a V shape.

JohnEThompson
December 27th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I use this method as well and I'm just shy of APL. Compared to the ponytail on the top of your head, placing it at your forehead willl leave shorter layers in front and longer layers in back. Depending on how much you cut you can really preserve a lot of length, but also have a deep V with thinner ends. I've watched many videos of this cut and this one is my hands-down favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1SVhIr_-6M&list=PLzirL9bCYtl-sZnetLFW0cEfRtUBdiaon&index=7

I do it the way she does (with hair cutting shears) and shape my back into more of a U-shape on the second cut, since the ponytail cut doesn't remove any length as my hair is relatively short. I don't point cut into my pony since I have wavy hair, but it can really soften the look on straight hair.

I was reading the thread looking for an example and I have to admit I was really scared when I watched her cut all that hair off. Pleasantly surprised at how long it stayed. My layers are a lot like this right now simply from growing it out and not getting it cut. Thank you for sharing this video!

SleepyTangles
December 30th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Sorry ladies,
I need to ask you if this method is suitable for achieving long layers... I was thinking of cutting just a inch, or two at most, to give my U cut a little layering :flower:.

ravenreed
December 30th, 2013, 07:06 AM
It gives me a V. If I want more of a U, I trim less I normally would and then go back again with Feye's method to make a U hemline. That takes off some of the pointiness.

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I wrote an article about this in the Hair Related section of my blog. You can make a half ponytail on your forehead instead and it will give you more conservative layers and works well for short or long hair. It also doesn't take as much away from your thickness if you are worried about that.

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Sorry ladies,
I need to ask you if this method is suitable for achieving long layers... I was thinking of cutting just a inch, or two at most, to give my U cut a little layering :flower:.

If you want longer layers, position the ponytail on the top of your head, not on your forehead (that's for short layers). There's two parts to this method, and I only posted about the short layer version here. So, do it the other way, with the ponytail on the top of your head. This way:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Oh my goodness, regarding the video - not a good result on her type of hair (to me).

SleepyTangles
December 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Thank you all very much! My fine hair is starting to lose a bit of its volume/fluffyness... before hitting BSL, it had the magical ability to fluff itself to the double of its actual mass, but now gravity is finally starting to work :grnbiggri

I've started thinking about it more or less a month ago... not sure if I'll do it soon.

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Oh my goodness, regarding the video - not a good result on her type of hair (to me).

Yeah, I agree it's not such a good method for straight/fine/thin hair. I am a finey, but I have some texture to my hair and thickness, so that makes all the difference, IMO.

TiaKitty
December 30th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't do this unless you've got more hair at your hemline than you want...

This is the method I use in the photo in my signature. I agree that if you want a U Feye's method afterwards would be helpful!

spirals
December 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM

I want to dress you up as snow white and drag you and AspenSong to the mountains for epic photos.When I have my hair in 2 ponytails people reference Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.... :D

ari
January 29th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Sorry for asking but I'm new to LHC and I'm not really sure how to do this cut. :confused:What happens if I tie the ponytail close to my forehead? More layers? Bangs?
What if I just do a normal high ponytail? Will lots of length come off it? I want long layers, AND to keep my length. any suggestions? Thank you!:)

lapushka
January 29th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Ponytail on forehead = short layers.
Ponytail on the top of your head, like this (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html) = longer layers.

I wouldn't recommend a "normal" high ponytail. Your layers will go all wonky.

Tangle or Curl?
January 29th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I've been doing this from collar bone all the way down to almost waist. It looks quite good on a 3A type of curl like mine. The only part that annoys me so far is that no low slung buns contain all of the shorter hairs, but I don't see a problem with taking this style all the way to wherever my end goal ends up being.

lapushka
January 29th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I've been doing this from collar bone all the way down to almost waist. It looks quite good on a 3A type of curl like mine. The only part that annoys me so far is that no low slung buns contain all of the shorter hairs, but I don't see a problem with taking this style all the way to wherever my end goal ends up being.

We do the "ponytail on forehead" method (short layers) and I'm hip now, but I've got layers all the way to APL. That's why I'm doubtful to recommend it (on a longhair forum) for people shorter than BSL, you'll end up with *really* short layers otherwise, but if that doesn't bother you then hey... :shrug: :D

Tangle or Curl?
January 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM
We do the "ponytail on forehead" method (short layers) and I'm hip now, but I've got layers all the way to APL. That's why I'm doubtful to recommend it (on a longhair forum) for people shorter than BSL, you'll end up with *really* short layers otherwise, but if that doesn't bother you then hey... :shrug: :D

Yeah. That is exactly what I did. My hair tend to "pyramid shape" a LOT when it is shorter and I had really ugly bangs that were a huge mistake, which this cut took care of at the time. It was a really good look, and to be frank I look far more feminine and pretty with layers around my eye level to chin level. I actually kind of miss the short layers being shorter when I wear my hair down, but it's getting so much easier to put it up now. It was a good way to get rid of some damage and a bad cut at the time...without ending up looking like an upside down hedge.

spirals
February 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM
I just did this last night. I did all of my hair over my forehead, just blending the lower layers into my shorter layers by cutting diagonally. Then I took just the top half of my hair and did it to get shorter layering around the crown. It still blends. In fact, I don't hate my bangs anymore because it all blends together much better. It's basically a very elongated shag. Putting it in a ponytail really helps me keep control when I cut it dry; I usually just do it freehand, which can be done, but makes mistakes that need to be corrected.

MissHoney
February 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM

Where do you place your ponytail, on the forehead or on the top of your hairline?? You like your layers to start at eye level which is exactly how I like mine! I would love to do it myself.

durgidog
February 2nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Where do you place your ponytail, on the forehead or on the top of your hairline?? You like your layers to start at eye level which is exactly how I like mine! I would love to do it myself.

I cut my hair with the ponytail on my forehead, this gives shorter layers in front, but longer layers in back compared to the ponytail on the top of the head - which results in shorter layers in the back. I'm just shy of APL and my shortest layer in back is about two inches above my hemline, the shortest layer in front is at my chin. Then I cut in side swept bangs if I feel like it. I have wavy hair that is very forgiving of imperfect cuts, I doubt I would try this with straight hair.

Neneka
February 2nd, 2014, 04:41 AM
I did this too. Strangely my hair feels a lot healthier and I love it. The cut must have removed a lot of my old mechanical damage from bicycle helmet 1,5 years ago. The shortest layers are just below my chin.

I was bit worried if I can use my hair sticks after the cut. At least I can do a disc bun. It looks a bit messier than before but since my hair is naturally very sleek I like the messiness.

MissHoney
February 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
I cut my hair with the ponytail on my forehead, this gives shorter layers in front, but longer layers in back compared to the ponytail on the top of the head - which results in shorter layers in the back. I'm just shy of APL and my shortest layer in back is about two inches above my hemline, the shortest layer in front is at my chin. Then I cut in side swept bangs if I feel like it. I have wavy hair that is very forgiving of imperfect cuts, I doubt I would try this with straight hair.

Okay that sounds perfect,I will try. My hair is far from straight. ;)

durgidog
February 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
For reference, here's a really crappy pic of my hair after cutting with the ponytail on my forehead last July. As I said, in the back the longest layers start 2 inches from my hemline and taper up the sides to about chin. I also added some additional face framing layers and side swept bangs. Without the layers I'm a pyramid head.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7791&d=1385780373

I don't prefer this cut on straight hair but I like the vid because you can see the shape of the cut on her hairtype really well. I'd love to see some pics of others who use this method, mainly because a few of my friends have been asking me to cut their hair this way. I don't know what the results will be on other hair types and so I just offer to lend them my scissors and a scrunchie. :)

durgidog
February 2nd, 2014, 05:11 PM
I guess this one's a little better. My hair is straighter so you can see the layers. Taken in Dec and I had not cut since the previous photo.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7948&d=1386125797

ETA: I also trim the back into more of a U shape after I chop the ponytail.

earthnut
February 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
I did this cut for a while, and like lesli, the ends started to look stringy and thin. I've switched to a different variation, making a ponytail at the base of my head, and pulling the ends up over my head, and then cutting. Depending on where you make the ponytail on your head, you'll get different depths of layers. A ponytail at the forehead will make the deepest layers, a ponytail at the nape will make the longest layers. I think it's a wonderful and extremely easy way to get layers, but I'd start with a low ponytail, and raise the ponytail as needed to get deeper layers.

MissHoney
February 2nd, 2014, 06:46 PM
Earthnut, that's really good advice.

Durgidog, your hair is gorgeous!

durgidog
February 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
thx, MissHoney! :)

lapushka
February 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM
I don't prefer this cut on straight hair but I like the vid because you can see the shape of the cut on her hairtype really well. I'd love to see some pics of others who use this method, mainly because a few of my friends have been asking me to cut their hair this way. I don't know what the results will be on other hair types and so I just offer to lend them my scissors and a scrunchie. :)

There's a picture of my hair cut with this method in the following thread. It's hip, and my layers go all the way up to APL. No additional face framing layers were cut in, though.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119532

durgidog
February 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Lapushka! Your hair is lovely and we seem to have a similar type, good to know I'll still enjoy this cut when I get longer!

Tangle or Curl?
February 3rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
I have actually started doing this with a crea clip. If you want layers at eye level my biggest suggestion is to cut a few pieces at eye level when your hair is dry and not stretched. I tend to go straight up from my front hairline. The farther forward you go the shorter your front pieces will go and the longer your back pieces will be. That exaggerates the V though. It all depends on what you want out of it :)

you could even do this by doing fae's method and then taking the hair from ear level and up in a funny looking half pony if you don't want a V, but personally I like the taper for detangling and bunning.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM
you could even do this by doing fae's method and then taking the hair from ear level and up in a funny looking half pony if you don't want a V, but personally I like the taper for detangling and bunning.

Yes, that way you just layer the top parts of your hair, the way hairdressers usually do layers - if you don't want too many.

I like the taper for both those reasons as well. It makes updos easier, as it seems to "thin out" the hair some - seems so. So it's not as heavy a mass to pull up into an updo, I mean.

TrapperCreekD
February 3rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
SO tempted to do this... *hides scissors*

ErinLeigh
February 4th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Lapushka that cut is wonderful. I absolutely love it! I think it is perfect. I was expecting it look a little different based on the verbage but this is actually even better than I imagined.

And browneyedsusan..if the Jan length pic you posted if post cut them I am super impressed. I was just admiring your cut the other day quite enviously.

browneyedsusan
February 4th, 2014, 06:06 AM
@ Erin Leigh: Thank you. It is. (Those fabulous waves are from a sleeping in a barely damp sock bun. It doesn't usually look anywhere NEAR that good!)

Bagginslover
February 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I have actually started doing this with a crea clip. If you want layers at eye level my biggest suggestion is to cut a few pieces at eye level when your hair is dry and not stretched. I tend to go straight up from my front hairline. The farther forward you go the shorter your front pieces will go and the longer your back pieces will be. That exaggerates the V though. It all depends on what you want out of it :)

Yes, that way you just layer the top parts of your hair, the way hairdressers usually do layers - if you don't want too many.

I like the taper for both those reasons as well. It makes updos easier, as it seems to "thin out" the hair some - seems so. So it's not as heavy a mass to pull up into an updo, I mean.

Exactly what I said I do, earlier in the thread ;) I have dead straight har, and I love it (both my avatar and sig photo are examples)

lapushka
February 4th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Exactly what I said I do, earlier in the thread ;) I have dead straight har, and I love it (both my avatar and sig photo are examples)

Oooh sorry. ;) :oops:

Bagginslover
February 4th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Hehe, no need to apologise, I guessed you'd missed it, just wanted to point out that it does work ;)

SleepyTangles
February 22nd, 2014, 04:20 PM
Ok, I have a silly question: is this kind of cut easy to microtrim/dust/maintain split free? Or layers manage to be high maintenance even with this method?
I was thinking expecially to the long-layer version, with the ponytail on the top of the head.

lapushka
February 22nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Ok, I have a silly question: is this kind of cut easy to microtrim/dust/maintain split free? Or layers manage to be high maintenance even with this method?
I was thinking expecially to the long-layer version, with the ponytail on the top of the head.

It's just one cut across with your hair in a ponytail, so yes it's easy to maintain.

SleepyTangles
February 23rd, 2014, 04:11 AM
It's just one cut across with your hair in a ponytail, so yes it's easy to maintain.
Yay, good to know! Thank you

XcaliburGirl
February 23rd, 2014, 07:10 AM
I was planning on trying Feye's V trim, but now I'm considering doing this. My hair has been feeling quite heavy lately. On the other hand, I feel like the blunt cut would be more safe for a first time trimming my own hair.

My issues with salon-cut layers in the past has been that the top layer puffs out from the rest of my hair and it looks like steps. Do the more gradual layers of this cut fix that?

How well do these layers work in updos? Do they tend to stick out of buns and braids?

XcaliburGirl
February 23rd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Uh.... so, I totally threw caution to the wind, which is NOT like me. (I haven't trimmed in over 2 years.) It's all brushed out at the moment, so I won't know how I like it until after I wash my hair. The shortest layer ended up around collarbone length. I don't think I lost much overall length at all, except for a few "racer" hairs.

If my buns suffer, I'll just have to handle the consequences until the ends blend in a bit more.

I do have to say that I didn't think my ends were dry or velcro-like, but now that I've cut them off, they are very soft.

I'll post a comparison picture in a couple of days when I can get my hair to the state it was in my last length shot.

ETA: just as a disclaimer, I've been thinking about layers on and off for a while, so it wasn't totally out of the blue.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
I was planning on trying Feye's V trim, but now I'm considering doing this. My hair has been feeling quite heavy lately. On the other hand, I feel like the blunt cut would be more safe for a first time trimming my own hair.

Definitely do this first, before trying any layering techniques!

My issues with salon-cut layers in the past has been that the top layer puffs out from the rest of my hair and it looks like steps. Do the more gradual layers of this cut fix that?

How well do these layers work in updos? Do they tend to stick out of buns and braids?

I'm not sure what you mean with the top layer puffing out? Is the top layer the only part that was layered, because if so, then you're not going to like this method. It is layered throughout.

I'm hip+ and sometimes my buns behave, sometimes layers peak out.

Sparklylady82
June 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM

I'm a super visual person so let me see if I'm understanding right. The longer your hair is, with this method, the longer your layers will end up? I am APL and wanting to cut off damage by adding layers, I am also wurly so I think it will accentuate my waves...

spidermom
June 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Sparklylady82, you can find youtube videos about this method to improve visual comprehension.

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I'm a super visual person so let me see if I'm understanding right. The longer your hair is, with this method, the longer your layers will end up? I am APL and wanting to cut off damage by adding layers, I am also wurly so I think it will accentuate my waves...

I wouldn't try the method for the shortest layers (ponytail on forhead) for hair that is shorter than BSL. My hair is hip+ and my shortest layer with this method is APL+, so if your hair is only APL, your shortest layer will be shorter than chin, I'm willing to bet!

Sparklylady82
June 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't try the method for the shortest layers (ponytail on forhead) for hair that is shorter than BSL. My hair is hip+ and my shortest layer with this method is APL+, so if your hair is only APL, your shortest layer will be shorter than chin, I'm willing to bet!

Well I went ahead and tried this method last night and it came out great on my armpit length hair. I did put the ponytail on my forehead but more at the hair line and then I only cut a few inches. The results were great! My shortest layer at below chin. I made sure to cut before my back layer so no length came off. Then I decided to cut in a long bang (sigh) to get rid of damage and I cut in free hand a few more layers to even out the look. After I did Feye's method. I only did the first step (the V shape) because for some reason is didn't look V after I was done...It was more rounded. Maybe because my previous cut was so blunt?

Oh I'd also like to mention that I had coconut oil in my hair from the day before, my hair was wavy when I cut and I just sprayed water on it as I cut to get a straight cut but then with it still wavy I could scrunch it and see how the layers looked and cut more where needed. I am so happy I didn't have to go to the salon!

Anyway, for those of you who know about my damage problems with my hair, my hair FEELS much better! I'll be microtrimming until the bleach and damage is gone! I'll post a new pic of my cut somewhere once I get it washed.

spidermom
June 12th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I'm glad you're happy with the results sparklylady.

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I'm glad you're happy with the results sparklylady.

Yes, that's the most important, isn't it? :flower:

Well I went ahead and tried this method last night and it came out great on my armpit length hair. I did put the ponytail on my forehead but more at the hair line and then I only cut a few inches. The results were great! My shortest layer at below chin. I made sure to cut before my back layer so no length came off. Then I decided to cut in a long bang (sigh) to get rid of damage and I cut in free hand a few more layers to even out the look. After I did Feye's method. I only did the first step (the V shape) because for some reason is didn't look V after I was done...It was more rounded. Maybe because my previous cut was so blunt?

Oh I'd also like to mention that I had coconut oil in my hair from the day before, my hair was wavy when I cut and I just sprayed water on it as I cut to get a straight cut but then with it still wavy I could scrunch it and see how the layers looked and cut more where needed. I am so happy I didn't have to go to the salon!

Anyway, for those of you who know about my damage problems with my hair, my hair FEELS much better! I'll be microtrimming until the bleach and damage is gone! I'll post a new pic of my cut somewhere once I get it washed.

I'm glad it went well and that you can feel the result on your hair. Happy growing and microtrimming! Looking forward to seeing the results!!!

browneyedsusan
June 13th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I trimmed less than an inch off yesterday, with the ponytail on top of my head. I also cut my bangs back to chin length. I like to pull them out of updos sometimes, and that length stays out of my eyes.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM
http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/ This pictorial is awesome to get a better handle on what happens with the ponytail on different spots on your head.

schnibbles
September 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Bumpin'

^^^ That was very helpful, leilani. I'm visual, and need to see the pics, you know? :D
I'm seriously considering doing this. I have a horrid growing-out bang layer in the front that involves a large bulk of hair from very thick fringe. I'm wondering if this cut would help blend it. I don't want to do anything too drastic though. I'm going to think about it some more.

lapushka
September 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Bumpin'

^^^ That was very helpful, leilani. I'm visual, and need to see the pics, you know? :D
I'm seriously considering doing this. I have a horrid growing-out bang layer in the front that involves a large bulk of hair from very thick fringe. I'm wondering if this cut would help blend it. I don't want to do anything too drastic though. I'm going to think about it some more.

You don't have to do it on all of your hair. You can part above your ears, and do it on the front bits too. Just don't cut too too much off!

schnibbles
September 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM
^^ That's an idea, too, lapushka, thank you.. maybe that would be a good way to ease into it. I would guess I'd probably have to take at least 2 or 3 inches though, to even notice anything? Like I said, I'm going to think about it some more before doing it. I micro-trim right now with Feye's U method usually once a month. I trim millimeters, though. Like, dust... :o

Nymphea
September 4th, 2014, 08:36 AM
SO tempted to do this... *hides scissors*

Me too!!

But I'd like longer layers - I guess I would have to tie a ponytail closer to the center of the head, and not forehead.

I'm also worried if it would be complicated with my thick, wavy, sometimes puffy hip-length hair. I mean, I don't know if I would manage to handle the ponytail well.

Anyway, I don't dare to do it yet, but I'm looking at all of your pics, the result is wonderful!

lapushka
September 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM
This is my latest picture, from the start of July, of a compact cut with short layers (you can barely see the layers in there, but they're there, from almost BSL, to almost TBL):

http://i.imgur.com/Vl0aSog.jpg

ReneeG
October 29th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Way old thread, but I wanted to talk about it again! I think that you have to cut off a goodly amount for it to cause serious layers. I have done it a couple times taking off a half inch here and there, and definitely dont have any crazy short layers. So I am with lapushka (OP) in that I didnt lose any length when doing it and just got a lightly layered bottom section just keeping it from being blunt and turning into a triangle with my waves. I am actually planing on taking another 1-2 inches off soon using this method because I want more layers!

lapushka
October 30th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Way old thread, but I wanted to talk about it again! I think that you have to cut off a goodly amount for it to cause serious layers. I have done it a couple times taking off a half inch here and there, and definitely dont have any crazy short layers. So I am with lapushka (OP) in that I didnt lose any length when doing it and just got a lightly layered bottom section just keeping it from being blunt and turning into a triangle with my waves. I am actually planing on taking another 1-2 inches off soon using this method because I want more layers!

Yes the more you'll take off the more the "cut" becomes visible. I think you'd need to cut off 5 to 6 inches for all the layers to be in there.