PDA

View Full Version : Good salon experience today!

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2013, 04:49 PM
With all the salon horror stories we fear, I thought it would be good to tell a happy salon story. I came in for a bang trim and a microtrim on my length. I got exactly what I asked for with both. I told her before she did any cutting that I have a goal of reaching my knees, or terminal. She was really cool with that. She did ask if I had any particular reason, and I told her that I just want to see if I can. She didn't ask or suggest that I donate it. She handled my hair with respect, carefully combing so that I never felt a tangle being ripped out of my head. It was tangle free when I showed up, so she didn't have to comb a mess out for me. She asked if I wanted it washed, and I had just finished a CO wash; it was still damp. So, I told her, I just washed it, but if it felt offensive to her, she could wash it again. She said it actually felt nice, and commented that there was very little, if any, damage.

I asked her to trim 1/4" so she combed carefully and showed me the bottom 1" and asked if she could trim that much. I said that's too much, so then she combed again and showed me the bottom 1/2" and asked if that was okay. When I could see the bottom 1/2", I agreed that it needed trimmed, to help even up my hemline. When she was done trimming, she invited me to see the dust on the floor. We had a good chuckle about how much length she had taken off. It was fun, and not even a little bit scary for me. I'm definitely going back to this stylist.

I thanked her for doing as I asked, and she said she once had longer hair than she has now, but had a stylist cut it back to an A-line bob. She said she cried over it. She was thinking of going natural with her hair (right now she has it bleach blonde, shoulder length, with super dark roots) but said she wouldn't be much of a stylist if she did that. I said, "You would be an example of healthy beautiful hair for your clients to see." She hadn't thought of it that way before. I told her of a stylist I used to have that had long, virgin hair, about waist length, and it was beautiful. The stylist in the next station over said she wishes she could grow her hair out to my length. Ha! I'm not even a super-length yet!

Okay, so I did lose 1/2" of my length today, and that puts me at about 1.5" away from waist. I'm now 29.5" and waist is 31" so I probably won't wake up to waist length on Christmas morning, after all, but maybe the end of January I'll be there. (I'm still keeping my signature the same, because I can always hope, right?)

HintOfMint
December 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
That sounds like a WONDERFUL experience!

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM
That indeed sounds like a wonderful experience. I particularly like how she treated your hair (and you) with respect!

BrightEyes
December 5th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Yay! I love hearing good salon experiences. Sounds like you found a keeper. That's wonderful :)

Tini'sNewHair
December 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Wow!!! So what made you decide to have a trim now and not wait until you get to waist to mantain? Just curious...

I'm so glad that your experience was a very good one, and how lucky you are that the hairdresser respected and apriciated the way your hair is :) I hope that you can eventually change her mind and get her to grow out her natural hair because i can see that she would like that but has never thought it to be possible.

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Wow!!! So what made you decide to have a trim now and not wait until you get to waist to mantain? Just curious...

My bangs were needing a trim very badly. When I got there, I just decided to go ahead on the length trim, because I've been getting a length trim every 3-4 months as it is, and waiting to reach a length goal is a new strategy for me. I just couldn't bring myself to wait that long. I'm glad I found a good stylist, however, because it'll be easier to go in and get my quarterly microtrims knowing that I have someone who is working WITH me instead of someone I need to fear.

Crumpet
December 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM
All hairdressers aren't evil. I think we just complain more about the bad experiences. I'm so glad you shared a good one! I'm not going back to a stylist again, in part because I'm scared of the gamble, but also because I'm enjoying being lazy (and spending my haircutting money on hair bling! ;)).

lapushka
December 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
My bangs were needing a trim very badly. When I got there, I just decided to go ahead on the length trim, because I've been getting a length trim every 3-4 months as it is, and waiting to reach a length goal is a new strategy for me. I just couldn't bring myself to wait that long. I'm glad I found a good stylist, however, because it'll be easier to go in and get my quarterly microtrims knowing that I have someone who is working WITH me instead of someone I need to fear.

Your hair, from looking at your signature, is still quite short. Sorry I have to put it like that, but bear with me, I just want to get a point across. Maybe it's long for hairdressers but it's not... well, I hate to use the word "freakishly" long, I mean: out-of-the-norm long. So that might also explain her show of respect towards you and your hair. I hope she still feels that way as you grow steadily longer towards knee.

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Your hair, from looking at your signature, is still quite short. Sorry I have to put it like that, but bear with me, I just want to get a point across. Maybe it's long for hairdressers but it's not... well, I hate to use the word "freakishly" long, I mean: out-of-the-norm long. So that might also explain her show of respect towards you and your hair. I hope she still feels that way as you grow steadily longer towards knee.

Yes, I know what you are saying. I'm not out of the realm of normal yet. I will just have to wait and see how she is about it as it gets longer. So far, so good!

Tini'sNewHair
December 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I would LOVE a trim... actually the kind of trim i would like to get is having my hair hacked to just above BSL but in reality my hair is still OK, i can keep it in line with extensive S&D sessions and coconut oil but i tell you, i cannot wait to go for my first trim (which will most likely just be a micro trim tho). I love how fresh my hair feels after it and i already have one hairdresser in mind.
She did my daughters hair. When i went in with my daughter i told her to only cut 1cm and she said ok, then asked me BEFORE she started cutting if i wanted her side layers trimmed and/or a fringe to - I think that although she shouldn’t of asked that question because really, it didnt need to be asked at all since i made no mention of it but she asked FIRST which is a great sign that she follows the clients instructions instead of doing whatever she thought it needed done. I felt such a huge sign of relief. Shes someone i went to just once in the past when i asked her to give me side swept bangs and shes the only hairdresser to say that those kinds of bangs wouldnt suit my face at all and she was right, i knew it wouldnt suit me and i was going to do it anyway but once she said what i always thought, that gave me a good reality check to stop myself from doing something stupid which i would of regrated straight away no doubt! So for that, i think she is someone i could trust to do a microtrim on me when the time comes :) I have good vibes from her. Shes not even someone with natural hair tho, and her hair is always APL-ish but somehow she seems to listen and seems respectful and i really admire that :) Fingers crossed!

NaClH2O
December 5th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I am curious where you went since I know we live in the same state... I would like a good salon experience..... :p

animetor7
December 5th, 2013, 10:01 PM
This is the exact reason I still wait until visits home to get my hair cut. I found a stylist who I adore a couple of years back and she has steadily helped me grow my hair from about chin length to the nearly hip-length it is now. She is always careful to only cut my twice-yearly 1/2", only cutting more if she feels like the ends really need it then, and even then she asks and shows me exactly how much she's cutting. She had long hair as a young woman, so she gets it, and never even blow-fries me as she knows I'm heat free. I love her dearly for all of this lovely, caring treatment! Isn't it nice to find someone who really listens to us "crazy/hippy" longhairs?

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2013, 02:12 AM
I am curious where you went since I know we live in the same state... I would like a good salon experience..... :p If you can believe it, I went to Fantastic Sam's in front of Walmart in Caldwell, ID. Not every stylist there is good (the one I had in August wasn't as good). The one I saw this time (and last March) was Amber. She works Thursdays - Sundays. If you are in the area, stop in sometime.

This is the exact reason I still wait until visits home to get my hair cut. I found a stylist who I adore a couple of years back and she has steadily helped me grow my hair from about chin length to the nearly hip-length it is now. She is always careful to only cut my twice-yearly 1/2", only cutting more if she feels like the ends really need it then, and even then she asks and shows me exactly how much she's cutting. She had long hair as a young woman, so she gets it, and never even blow-fries me as she knows I'm heat free. I love her dearly for all of this lovely, caring treatment! Isn't it nice to find someone who really listens to us "crazy/hippy" longhairs? So nice you have a stylist you like, but too bad no one where you live will give you this treatment. I truly think this stylist will be on board as my hair grows to super lengths. I'm excited for the journey!

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I forgot to add that another customer in the waiting area told me before I went back for the cut that my hair will grow better if I cut it. Sweet old lady with a pixie. ;) :P

spidermom
December 6th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I'm happy for you.

ErinLeigh
December 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I am glad you found someone to cut your hair. You should make sure she has your number so she can advise you if she moves to a different salon. I lost a couple good ones in the past from them not knowing I was "theirs" and they could reach me even if they left. Its frowned upon in a way but a necessity to me! Poach me if I like you!
I have a feeling stylist will respect your wishes at any length. If someone is proven respectful and you build a relationship with her why would she change? She may suggest certain things like she did the extra 1/4 inch but you can say no. I find the core character of a person does not change so you should be just fine in the future.

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I am glad you found someone to cut your hair. You should make sure she has your number so she can advise you if she moves to a different salon. I lost a couple good ones in the past from them not knowing I was "theirs" and they could reach me even if they left. Its frowned upon in a way but a necessity to me! Poach me if I like you!
I have a feeling stylist will respect your wishes at any length. If someone is proven respectful and you build a relationship with her why would she change? She may suggest certain things like she did the extra 1/4 inch but you can say no. I find the core character of a person does not change so you should be just fine in the future.

Oh you are right! She has my number in the computer, but I should make sure to tell her that I want to follow her if she moves to a different salon. Thanks for the suggestion. About the extra 1/4", I know if I told her not to cut it, she wouldn't have cut it. She was very respectful.

Wildcat Diva
December 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM
See, I think it's the places like the fantastic Sams and the barber shops where you get more of this straight talk attitude. I think there is more of a risk at a "high fashion" hoity toity type of place where you could get the attitude of "I know fashion, let me work my magic, dah-ling" kind of approach.

NaClH2O
December 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
If you can believe it, I went to Fantastic Sam's in front of Walmart in Caldwell, ID. Not every stylist there is good (the one I had in August wasn't as good). The one I saw this time (and last March) was Amber. She works Thursdays - Sundays. If you are in the area, stop in sometime.

So nice you have a stylist you like, but too bad no one where you live will give you this treatment. I truly think this stylist will be on board as my hair grows to super lengths. I'm excited for the journey!

That's awesome, it is like a 20 minute drive for me. That would be worth it! I'll have to remember this next time I need a trim :p Thank you for the tip!

Leslieslsa
December 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I have heard a lot of horror stories too and was reluctant to get mine trimmed by a stylist. But I took a chance and went into my local hair cuttery. I had the girl that was free trim and I told her I wanted a dusting. So that is exactly what she did. This girls hair was less than an inch long. But ever since, I have been going to her, and she always does exactly what I ask for. Which is nice. Last time I went in I had just washed my hair and it was cold so I didn't want to leave the salon with wet hair, so she trimmed it for me dry. Which I have never had a stylist do. They usually always want you to wash it there. So I am going to keep seeing her. My hair is BCL now and I don't want anyone to chop too much off!

animetor7
December 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
So nice you have a stylist you like, but too bad no one where you live will give you this treatment. I truly think this stylist will be on board as my hair grows to super lengths. I'm excited for the journey!

I am lucky to have my stylist! I could probably find one here too, but as I'm a University student, I go back to visit my parents often enough to just continue getting my hair cut where I always have.

Lostsoule77
December 7th, 2013, 11:43 AM
That is great! Wish I could find a salon that I could trust like that. At this point I'm just not willing to gamble. It's always great to hear these positive stories though. :)

truepeacenik
December 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Perhaps having a consistent client who is a length gainer will be good for a stylist.
It's a new realm for her as a stylist, even though she had long hair once.

And, if you are in CO, please PM me the stylists' info. Please!!!!

Eta: when I was attending university, I went for "regular" trims. Now, that being financially dictated, that might be semi annually.
I had a few layers at the time, and was trying to avoid mullet world.

Guess who introduced me to oiling my hair with olive oil in the 90s? A stylist with classic length hair.
She also threaded my eyebrows monthly, so she had ample opportunity to scope out damage in my hair.

leslissocool
December 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
See, I think it's the places like the fantastic Sams and the barber shops where you get more of this straight talk attitude. I think there is more of a risk at a "high fashion" hoity toity type of place where you could get the attitude of "I know fashion, let me work my magic, dah-ling" kind of approach.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

My terrible salon experience was in a VERY high end salon, expensive and all. When I told my mother she her answer was "You should have gone to supercuts". And she is right.

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Perhaps having a consistent client who is a length gainer will be good for a stylist.
It's a new realm for her as a stylist, even though she had long hair once.

And, if you are in CO, please PM me the stylists' info. Please!!!!

I think it'll be good for her, too, and for the other stylists at that salon to watch as I grow long, healthy hair. And sorry, I'm not in CO. I'm in Idaho.