PDA

View Full Version : decreasing shedding on wash days?

glitterati
September 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
On normal days, I lose between 10-20 hairs per day. Now, on wash days (once a week), I can lose anywhere from 300-500 hairs. I guess that's making up for the super-low shed the rest of the days. I don't think I'm rough with my hair when I wash it - I never use my nail, use my fingers to massage conditioner into my scalp (actually, CO has helped to reduce the shed by quite a bit), only detangle with my fingers gently, etc. I think this is perhaps just a "quirk" of my hair bc I don't notice a difference in volume, but I'd love to decrease the wash day shed. Any ideas? :)

happymommy
September 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have the same problem! You are not alone, now here's hoping someone will have some suggestions...

dancingmegs
September 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I think it's pretty normal. Washing rids you of all the hairs that have been loosened over the last however many days since the lat wash.

I lose a lot of hair when I wash. I've never counted, but it's a good handful. I have for years. I still have a 4" ponytail, just like I did several years ago, and my hair is past classic. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

I do notice that I shed the most when I wash with shampoo, less with CO, and least of all with shampoo bars. But I'm lazy and neglectful, so I do the easiest one- shampoo- most of the time anyway.

dorothea-brooke
September 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have the exact same problem!

My (sort of) solution: for the past couple of weeks I've been doing scalp massage (a sort of shortened version of SMT) every morning, pretty much simulating the action of washing hair with my fingertips. Then I de-tangle and brush.

It basically means I lose more hairs per day (the ones I would normally have shed anyway), but fewer on wash day: it's more spread out.

I still lose more on wash (CO) day than any other, but it's slightly less horrifying!

HTH. :flower:

danacc
September 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I definitely shed more when I wash my hair. Like dancingmegs, I measure my ponytail every few months or so, and it's not changing, so I'm not worrying about it. (Unlike dancingmegs,my ponytail is nowhere close to 4", though!)

Wash day just catches up on the shed rate, though. When I washed more often, I had a more steady shed. Now, I don't shed much on non-wash days, then wash day makes up for it.

peachrose
September 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I do notice more of a shed on CO days.... I like the scalp massages though, even though I do shed more, it's less likely to clog the shower drain :)