PDA

View Full Version : Best natural shampoo for very oily AND dry hair?

WoolSweater
December 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I'm still around but have gone back to my lurking mode... but have come out of my hiding to ask a question/address an issue. I've stopped doing any and everything to my hair except for shampooing/brushing. Here's my problem: my scalp is extremely oily. I used to have oily hair down to my ends if I went one day without shampooing. Even now, if I shower in the evening, the next morning my fringe and hair around my temples are soaked with oil (it's not my skin because I sleep with my hair pinned back). I thought I'd buy a shampoo for oily hair, but now my problem is that this type of shampoo dries out all my hair, so my scalp over compensates with more oil, but the ends stay very dry and brittle.

I do everything 100% natural... can anyone recommend a shampoo that will help with oil but will not dry my scalp? My dream scenario is being able to shampoo in the evening and go all the next day without oily hair/the need for dry shampoo. And if your recommendation is not a "shampoo", that's fine... could be a cleaning method, a bar, what not. But I need some help, please!

Edit: I've also tried many conditioners, but I've never found any that didn't weigh my hair down to a flat, stringy mess. I'd only use a tiny, tiny bit, and wash all of it out... but I'm scarred to ever use conditioner on my hair. Ack!

spidermom
December 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Try conditioning the length first, then shampooing your scalp only. You can shake up your shampoo in some water to make it easier to distribute over the scalp. I use a squirt bottle for this. Then rinse. Length should be conditioned and scalp clean.

Magalo
December 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Oily scalp and dry ends is the result of overwashing, and/or using too strong shampoo. Have you tried stretching your washes? Yes, you'll probably have oily hair for a couple of weeks, but after your scalp get used to it, it'll definetly stop producing so much oil. If you're scared of stretching washes, try sulphate-free shampoo first, it will ease the transition.

Also, conditionning is a MUST. Cone-free conditionner won't weight your hair down.

Rio040113
December 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM
I know you said you're scared of using conditioner but have you ever considered CO? I used to be an absolute oil slick after 1 day, now I can go 2/3 days happily between washes and my length is softer than ever... I just use a cheap 'cone free conditioner. I do a very very diluted shampoo wash (and condition heavily afterwards) every week or so, although I may do it less as time passes :)

Flor
December 5th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Assuming you're washing hair every day: use the most mild shampoo you can find (dilute it, but lather twice if needed), wash hair in the morning, condition/oil the ends.

Stretching washes did nothing for me personally, except made me feel more at ease while walking around with greasy hair ;) My scalp get greasy quick and my hair is too fine/slippery to look nice when it's oily, nothing's changing that. Nowadays I prefer to wash more frequently (every other or 3rd day) with less drying shampoos and oil the length.

bunnylake
December 5th, 2013, 06:08 AM
It may be from over washing with harsh shampoo, or it may just be the way your body is. It's normal for some people to produce more oil than others. If you haven't tried stretching washes, go for it if you're willing to be a major greaseball for a while. The oil production might calm down. If that doesn't work, you're an every day shampooer like me! ;)
It may be some ingredient in the shampoo you're currently using. I'm assuming since you like natural products you aren't using a sulfate shampoo. Have you ever used a sulfate shampoo? That may or may not be working against you. For some people with very oily hair, sulfates are a must. For others it's a no-no. Gotta find what works for YOU.

Mya
December 5th, 2013, 06:13 AM
You may want to dilute your shampoo. I noticed that the more I dilute shampoo, the longer my hair stays clean.

ravenheather
December 5th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I like toadstool shampoo on etsy.com. It is my favorite shampoo when I wear my hair down. After a while I get too slippery for updos though. Right now I am mostly using rhassoul clay as a shampoo on my scalp. My length is coated with trader joes 's tea tree tingle conditioner. I also preoil with coconut oil overnight. I have similar hair as you. I used to have to wash everyday, with this routine it's every 2-3 days.

WoolSweater
December 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone, thank you for all the replies! Just to answer some questions real quick, I do not use sulphates or SLS! I have tried stretching my washes, but my job is very awkward in that I can't show up to work with oily hair. I meet with a lot of clients and it just wouldn't be good, haha. I'm embarrassed if I go one day with oily hair. Now more than ever I want to find a fix because my family is now comments on my hair. They'll make comments on how gross it looks (lucky for them they all have dry hair and can go days without shampoo....). I just want a remedy to quiet them and make myself feel better...

CO sounds so scary to me, haha! How long is the adjustment period? I know the natural conditioners I have used do not have 'cones, but something else must be really heavy in the ingredient list.... ? Currently I have Giovanni's volume conditioner.

When I do condition my ends, the ends will be stringy the next morning. I've tried numerous natural conditioners but they all seem really gross and heavy. My hair is seriously in strings the next day... no volume. Is there a good conditioner you can recommend?

I will try diluting my shampoo, and will also check out Toadstool on Etsy, thank you all again!

jrmviola
December 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I found a mineral based shampoo at the health food store that i really like. Its called (this is the full name on the package) "ZionHealth Adama clay minerals shampoo aromacology peach jasmine..." cost is 15$ or so. www.zionhealth.net

I really like this it is the weirdest shampoo ive ever used. completely different from the regular stuff i would buy...

spidermom
December 5th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Again - try conditioning first, rinse, then wash the scalp with diluted shampoo and do not move the suds down the length, rinse. You can try holding your dry ends up so that the rinse doesn't take the shampoo suds through them. This routine should make a difference without leaving your hair limp and stringy.

I tried to reduce my shampooing schedule to once per week, but my scalp never got less oily. I can see that it's getting oily on day 3 and it MUST be washed on day 4. This never changed. Not everyone's scalp adjusts to producing less oil.

WoolSweater
December 5th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Again - try conditioning first, rinse, then wash the scalp with diluted shampoo and do not move the suds down the length, rinse. You can try holding your dry ends up so that the rinse doesn't take the shampoo suds through them. This routine should make a difference without leaving your hair limp and stringy.

I tried to reduce my shampooing schedule to once per week, but my scalp never got less oily. I can see that it's getting oily on day 3 and it MUST be washed on day 4. This never changed. Not everyone's scalp adjusts to producing less oil.

Will there be an obvious adjustment period for this method? I only ask because I'd want to wait until I had a week off work or something... haha. What conditioner do you use? And I'd honestly be fine if I could reduce my shampooing to every other day... when I do it now, it's only because I'd be at home on the second day so no one would see my greasy mess!

WoolSweater
December 5th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I found a mineral based shampoo at the health food store that i really like. Its called (this is the full name on the package) "ZionHealth Adama clay minerals shampoo aromacology peach jasmine..." cost is 15$ or so. www.zionhealth.net

I really like this it is the weirdest shampoo ive ever used. completely different from the regular stuff i would buy...

Ooh, I was sold on this until I saw the soy protein ingredients. :-( I'm really weird about soy, haha! Thank you though.

sumidha
December 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hiya, just a small comment on conditioner only washing, if you're interested in going that route... CO washing works best when you're using a very cheap conditioner, because these very cheap conditioners (think 99 cents cheap) have cleansing agents in them, like shampoo, but they tend to be way less harsh than even the gentlest shampoo.

That's why CO washing (I think?) works so well for many people who need to wash every day- it's still strong enough to break up the oils on your scalp and hair, but it's way gentler than shampoo, so if your scalp is over producing oil because of being over-cleansed, it's a way to gradually reduce that production, without necessarily going through a super oily adjustment period.

melesine
December 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM
The only thing that helped my oily scalp and dry ends was giving up shampoo completely.

arielágua
December 5th, 2013, 12:40 PM
"Another cause of oily hair is a person’s hormones. If hormones are imbalanced, which they usually are during puberty and pregnancy, hormone levels can make the sebaceous glands produce more sebum than they’re supposed to."

"Lastly, oily hair can simply be due to genetics. Some people simply have an oilier scalp that other people."

source: http://autograf.com/hair-scalp-problems/top-causes-of-oily-hair-and-scalp/

I don't see the big deal in shampooing everyday, it seems like a sin lately. If you feel your ends are getting drier it could be the lack of conditioner or the hot water. Try using some conditioner on your length, pick one that is made for oily hair so it won't weigh down your tresses.

Tini'sNewHair
December 5th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I have pretty much the same problem but along with my hair getting really greasy, my scalp also gets very flaky and itchy and it makes me feel very awful!!!! I would have to wear a beanie to cover THAT mess up and i dont look good with beanies or headbands of any type :(

So, this is my washing routine:

***I apply coconut oil all over my hair until its evenly applied from root to tip, then i leave this on for a few hours (while i make dinner, bath the kids...etc.)

*** I (only) shampoo my scalp but not the rest of my hair and i take that time to massage nicely to. I shampoo about 3 times in one wash, so that all the oil is washed out (I think there’s another easier way to get the oil out but i only know it to be this way sorry). Right now im giving an organic shampoo a go but i still see no difference.

***I conditioner from neck down and rinse thoroughly (just once).

***Once my hair is dry (which is usually in the morning, the next day), I brush my hair and then i scoop a tinny bit of coconut oil and I apply this very slightly from the top of my head to down my whole length to tame the fly away and then i add the rest to the ends and a little bit through my hair but be very careful and only start with a verrry small amount of coconut oil (pea size) otherwise if you add to much, your hair will end up greasy again :)))

I hope i explained things properly.

ravenreed
December 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Natural shampoos dry out my hair. I have given up on them and use regular old sls shampoo. They usually have protein which is what makes it dry and brittle. My oilslick hair does best if I co every other day and shampoo about once a week or so.

Seeshami
December 5th, 2013, 10:07 PM

Best advise ever.

Will there be an obvious adjustment period for this method? I only ask because I'd want to wait until I had a week off work or something... haha. What conditioner do you use? And I'd honestly be fine if I could reduce my shampooing to every other day... when I do it now, it's only because I'd be at home on the second day so no one would see my greasy mess!

This is how I wash. I had no adjustment period and the naughty mess is doing great.

spidermom
December 5th, 2013, 10:48 PM
No adjustment period needed, but try letting the suds run through all your hair once, and if the ends seem too dry then hold them out of the way next time.

My hair responds well to Redman Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo and Conditioner (leave-in also), blue bottles. Also to Giovanni 50/50 balanced shampoo and conditioner. But of course your hair may be much different. If you can get sample sizes, that's the best way to try new formulas.

PS: In the hot summer when I sweat more, I always have to condition first, else my hair gets limp and dull.

jupiterinleo
December 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM

I think this is excellent advice.

A few people are suggesting CO, and I just want to add that there really isn't a way to be 100% natural and CO, since the whole idea of CO is using cheap, synthetic conditioners to clean your hair. I'm not crapping on CO or anything, I just wanted to point out that you couldn't really use natural conditioners for it as contain heavy oils and whatnot and it's nearly impossible to clean one's hair with that.

WoolSweater
December 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM
The only thing that helped my oily scalp and dry ends was giving up shampoo completely.

How do you cleanse your scalp/hair then? For information sake? :-)

WoolSweater
December 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
"Another cause of oily hair is a person’s hormones. If hormones are imbalanced, which they usually are during puberty and pregnancy, hormone levels can make the sebaceous glands produce more sebum than they’re supposed to."

"Lastly, oily hair can simply be due to genetics. Some people simply have an oilier scalp that other people."

source: http://autograf.com/hair-scalp-problems/top-causes-of-oily-hair-and-scalp/

I don't see the big deal in shampooing everyday, it seems like a sin lately. If you feel your ends are getting drier it could be the lack of conditioner or the hot water. Try using some conditioner on your length, pick one that is made for oily hair so it won't weigh down your tresses.

I think I'm the genetics side of things... I just dislike washing my hair every day, I guess because I'm a bit lazy. Would rather do it every other or two days, not every single day... plus cuts some time out of my day!

WoolSweater
December 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Sorry, I realize responding to each person individually will take up space, so, I have read every one of your responses, promise, and thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I've decided to dilute my current shampoo and wash only the roots, and see how that goes.

Tini, sounds like we have the exact same hair.... scalp is somehow very oily but also flaky and itchy?! I have a lot of coconut oil, so I will also look in to this, thanks!