PDA

View Full Version : What kind of braid gives you the best waves?

minuncy
September 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I was wondering this a couple days ago when I had my hair braided in what I consider my "wave braids". The braid that gives me the prettiest waves are two dutch braids when my hair is parted in the middle.

What kind of braids give you the prettiest waves?:D

Juneii
September 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
three french braids, two on the side and one in the back :) I love the results because it makes my hair look like small ringlets but doesn't get tangled

WritingPrincess
September 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM
three french braids, two on the side and one in the back :) I love the results because it makes my hair look like small ringlets but doesn't get tangled

I'll try that tonight! I like two dutch braids, lightly oiled before braiding, and misting until damp pre-braiding.

Gumball
September 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hmm. What kind of braid gives me the best waves? Well I can just comb out my hair and get some waves anyway (and some fluff!), but the waves I know best are from a regular three strand since it's what I wear most often. Because of that I'd have to go with it. I don't wear my hair down and loose much anyhow. :)

Leisha
September 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
A Dutch braid I think.

Also a Dianlya-style English braid gives me more natural waves than a"regular" English braid.

ETA: Same goes for an English braid on the side, instead of at the back of my head -> more natural looking waves

AJoifulNoise
September 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I like two english braids. I can't do two dutch or french braids to save my life...

Yeesha
September 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I like the waves of two dutch braids, especially, when they are braided wet.
And they are much less chaotic than my own, naturally waves...^^

GoldenRed
September 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Cornrows, lots of them, at least 12!

happymommy
September 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
My vote is for double dutch, but I may try triple tonight...

Arctic_Mama
September 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Double french of any type, generally. French herringbones make neato waves.

Lisa-Maria
September 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Double french or dutch braids, braided wet... such a shame I almost never have the patience for it ;)

Mary <><
September 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I really like the soft waves I get with double ropes. I aslo love double french waves. I have pics of those in my album! I gotta get some pics of my double rope braids.

Anje
September 8th, 2008, 07:00 AM
DH loved my braidwaves from a dutch crown braid. Not that I do those very often.

susiemw
September 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I wore my hair up in a crown braid the other day and when I took it down I was amazed at the waves... and they were all over, including the top and the bangs, it was great.

I was going to an outdoors festival where it was going to be
quite hot so put my hair up wet and then used a spritz of hair spray.

when I took it down it looked amazing.

I'll be doing that again when I want that sexy wavy look.

Susan

Gecko
September 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not really sure. There's only been two times I can think of that I put it in braids for braid waves... I have no idea why I've only done it twice in a year! How odd.... A year ago I put it in a french braid and left it in all day and maybe the night before, I think when it was almost dry, and it came out poofy and wavy and I really liked it, but then I put it up. Then a few weeks ago I sprayed some styling stuff in it when it was dry and put it in two french braids (the best I've ever done; the styling spray made it easy), left them in overnight. It came out alright...Didn't last very long. So I think one french braid worked better.

savi
September 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I've always liked the braidwaves from three french or dutch braids. And three rope braids is my newest crush. I like their look. The number hree because it makes the braid aves less, uniform like and more natural, but I suppose any number would do.

Shufro
December 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hm the typical braid like indians have haha =)

morguebabe
December 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
This way:
Take thumbs place by ears and bring up like you tracing where headphones would be. Whatever hair is in there, braid a normal 3 strand braid.
then make a half pony tail section of hair braid that with the middle piece being the 1st braid.
Now repeat with the left over hair having eh middle piece be the other braid.
I'll write an article..

NeilTheFuzz
December 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I don't know any of the various braids names but if I put my hair into 1 -3 part braid, my hair comes out nice and evenly wavey after a nights sleep.

PurpleAshes
December 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM
i just found out that a few rope braids give my hair beautiful waves/curls.

mommy101405
December 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I like 2 french braids slept on wet. Then I brush them out a lot in the morning. I'll have to give some of these other suggestions a try.

sneakybea
December 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I like the rope braid, especially the french rope or reverse roll style. A four strand box braid also works well. If I'm braiding specifically to get waves, I might twist the ends or curl them round my finger, to keep them from getting too flat.

Eden Iris
December 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Normally braid waves fight with my natural waves and I get a big mess, all angles and straight places, but last night I did two pigtail braids and let them relax for a minute or two before putting the elastics in, which I did about two inches from the ends to get a nice spiral, and this morning they came out looking all right.

Amara
December 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
My favorite braid waves are from four dutch braids. I do them at night after a wash, pin them up the next day, and then the day AFTER that I take them down. I have lovely thick braid waves - a TON of them - until my next wash usually a week later.

sahiba
December 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM
The kind of waves I like I get them when I english braid my hair either wet or heavily oiled.

Arctic
December 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Crown braid, definitely! Beautiful waves from roots to tips!

Drynwhyl
December 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Normal french braids, I just make them a bit tighter so the waves are deeper...when making, pull the strands a bit upwards. ;)

Heidi_234
December 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I like the rope braid, especially the french rope or reverse roll style. A four strand box braid also works well. If I'm braiding specifically to get waves, I might twist the ends or curl them round my finger, to keep them from getting too flat.
What's french rope braid? I've got me intrigued now.
Hooray for rope braids! Love them!

sneakybea
December 6th, 2008, 07:04 AM
What's french rope braid? I've got me intrigued now.
Hooray for rope braids! Love them!
Maybe I'm not using the right name for them, but what I mean is a rope braid you add hair to the way you do a French braid. It can be really hard to do one on yourself, but maybe I'll see if I can do one and add it to my album. Otherwise you can find it in the Klutz hair book.

saoriiroas
December 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The waves in my sig are from a regular 3 strand braid done in the piggy style. I had a friend give me two french braids and those were the best waves for sure. If I knew how to do it I would.