PDA

View Full Version : Rocking it old school today

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Having a wonderful hair day today using the old school method of SLS shampoo and cone free conditioner. No leave-ins, no oils, no serums...
Hair feels light as a feather.

Obviously I can't do this everyday but it feels good to go back to old school basics once in a while for a change.

That is all. Hope you are all having a lovely day :)

Katrine
December 4th, 2013, 01:38 PM
So nice to hear you're having a good hair day. Your hair looks so pretty in your Sig pic.

Enjoy! :)

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks so much. I was feeling very depressed about my recent hair cut. Silly enough, I was going to go to stylist to dust the layers tomorrow but hair felt so nice I decided to cancel and let it get some more growth before I lose anymore precious length.

Anyone wanna share what they did to their hair today? I love talking about hair. Can do it all day long!
Best part of today...I got a hair stick in my hair and it stayed (well ok, it was a shrimp skewer lol). Haven't had that happen since I cut it. :applause

AmyBeth
December 4th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I tried going the CO route, no cones, etc, but have recently realized that my very fine hair really needs a gentle, diluted shampoo. And it MUST have cones. Some things I try worked and really helped my hair, but some things that I tried didn't. I'm grateful for all of the information I've gained here!

meteor
December 4th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Great to hear you are having a great hair day! :)
And I love doing this simple SLS shampoo + light conditioner routine during summer, especially. Hair feels light and clean and doesn't attract any lint.

But lately my hair has been experiencing major winter dryness, unfortunately, so I am using lots of leave-ins and sealing oils right now.

LaurelSpring
December 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I oiled it last night and did an SMT today, all pre wash because I was going out tonight and I didn't get all of the oil out and now it is too late to do anything about it so I am a big oil head. So, I slicked it all up and have it in a big messy bun on top of my head. Oh well...It will look awesome next time.

NymphSpirit
December 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Oh? I'm getting layers past tomorrow! Trying to stretch washes until then because I'm getting my hair cut dry (So excited about this!).Today I wore it in a bun all day, but my hair's been getting really heavy again and it made my head ache so badly I had to lay down :( that made me remember why I wanted to get a pixie cut 2 months ago! Not a good hair day for me :brains:

Your hair does look dreamy! Love the colour.

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I oiled it last night and did an SMT today, all pre wash because I was going out tonight and I didn't get all of the oil out and now it is too late to do anything about it so I am a big oil head. So, I slicked it all up and have it in a big messy bun on top of my head. Oh well...It will look awesome next time.

Gah that happened to me last night! Had date night and wanted to look nice. Over oiled with jojoba and looked like a grease ball so into the bun it went. I was going to cut/color tomorrow so had to clarify wash and not use cones or product and honestly I am glad I did. My hair felt so heavy last night and its nice to feel light and fluffy for a day. I hate when I overdo it! I am so used to oiling up before bed sometimes I forget the proper amount for going out in public :)

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Oh? I'm getting layers past tomorrow! Trying to stretch washes until then because I'm getting my hair cut dry (So excited about this!).Today I wore it in a bun all day, but my hair's been getting really heavy again and it made my head ache so badly I had to lay down :( that made me remember why I wanted to get a pixie cut 2 months ago! Not a good hair day for me :brains:

Your hair does look dreamy! Love the colour.

I love getting dry haircuts. I always feel it ends up looking better. Good luck on the haircut. Sometimes it feels good to get a little weight off and get some shape. I have always had some layers in my hair. I have more than I prefer right now but I must say I love how light my hair feels and how fast it dries. Its fun mixing it up and doing something diffeernt with hair sometimes. I really hope you enjoy the new cut. :)

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Great to hear you are having a great hair day! :)
And I love doing this simple SLS shampoo + light conditioner routine during summer, especially. Hair feels light and clean and doesn't attract any lint.

But lately my hair has been experiencing major winter dryness, unfortunately, so I am using lots of leave-ins and sealing oils right now.

I live in Florida. No winter dryness. Yea! My skin and hair was so dry when I was living in Colorado the past few years. . I ended up getting a short chin length bob at point as it felt so dry I didn't know what to do with it. Wish I would have known about some other options back then.

Even with me being in a humid environment my hair still responds well to oils. I love them. I went without any today just due to planning a cut but they will be back in tomorrow. I dance around with cones too. Anything goes with me and my hair. I have no favorite routine.

You know, I never thought about the lint thing but you are right. I probably have tons of things stuck in my hair half the time as sometimes i really lay the oils on thick! No wonder hair feels so light today. Its feels weightless which is kind of a weird feeling after this past month of trying to repair some mega damage.

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 04:02 PM
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/96d55ba2-02f7-4d99-94d9-38dceb5c8d99_zps812eb0b0.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/96d55ba2-02f7-4d99-94d9-38dceb5c8d99_zps812eb0b0.jpg.html)

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 04:06 PM
ok..why did my signature pic come up there? I'm a mess :) While I am writing though...does anyone have a favorite light oil or way to oil lightly that doesn't weight hair down for days you don't want the extra heaviness?

meteor
December 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
You know, I never thought about the lint thing but you are right. I probably have tons of things stuck in my hair half the time as sometimes i really lay the oils on thick! No wonder hair feels so light today. Its feels weightless which is kind of a weird feeling after this past month of trying to repair some mega damage.
Yes, sebum and oils are magnets to lint, dust and dirt... which is why it's hard to stretch washes, too.
Oils are a double-edged sword: on the one hand, they provide slip initially, but on the other hand, they attract dust & lint that cause tangles until next wash.
Some LHC ladies have great success with BBB or wooden brushes removing dust from oiled hair (and distributing oils simultaneously). But as a tangly wavy, I don't use brushes.

meteor
December 4th, 2013, 04:15 PM
ok..why did my signature pic come up there? I'm a mess :) While I am writing though...does anyone have a favorite light oil or way to oil lightly that doesn't weight hair down for days you don't want the extra heaviness?
I like mineral oil, argan oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil for lightness and shine.
But grapeseed oil and safflower oil are drying, so they build up and are hard to remove.
Mineral oil is best at sealing moisture and very easy to wash off.

And your hair looks great! I LOVE your colour! :)

HintOfMint
December 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM

I use maybe three drops of olive oil (less than a dime size), and I rub it in my hands before I tip my head upside down to get the underside. I lightly run my fingers through the ends, before tipping my head back up and smoothing my hands over the top layer's ends. Then I grab my hair in a low ponytail and get the last remaining oil from my fingers to the ends. So far, that method has helped me not over-oil.

And for the original topic, yay for "old school" methods! I also use regular old sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners, only this is for every wash day. I still use the oils and honey and whatnot, but cones and sulfates have remained my friend.

Magalo
December 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Old school? Sounds like what I'm doing every time I wash my hair... :p

ETA: Although I do use SLS free shampoo!

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 05:11 PM
I like mineral oil, argan oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil for lightness and shine.
But grapeseed oil and safflower oil are drying, so they build up and are hard to remove.
Mineral oil is best at sealing moisture and very easy to wash off.

And your hair looks great! I LOVE your colour! :)

Thank you for the tips and the hair color shout out :) It was a horrible color last month when I had a toning disaster but heavy daily olive oil pulled that ash color right out and left it golden. It was a huge relief.
I didn't know that about grapeseed oil at first. I did suspect it though because when i do the oil cleansing method grapeseed really drys my face out...so much in fact I stopped using it on my hair soon after as it worried me. How do you use it so it doesn't build up? I really liked it when I used it.

Also mineral oil...I have some but have been scared to use it. How often do you feel you need to remove it with SLS? Will co wash or SLS free be enough? I tried it on my tips and they felt like heaven so I would like to add in in occassionally.

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Old school? Sounds like what I'm doing every time I wash my hair... :p

ETA: Although I do use SLS free shampoo!

HA! funny. It's old school to me since I have been gooping on the oils, leave ins and cones and using all these gentle organic shampoos all month trying to bring my hair back from crisis mode.
My hair has weighed 10 extra lbs this last month with all the stuff I have put in it. It felt good today to go back to "old school" today and not have a bowling ball weight for a head :D

meteor
December 4th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the tips and the hair color shout out :) It was a horrible color last month when I had a toning disaster but heavy daily olive oil pulled that ash color right out and left it golden. It was a huge relief.
I didn't know that about grapeseed oil at first. I did suspect it though because when i do the oil cleansing method grapeseed really drys my face out...so much in fact I stopped using it on my hair soon after as it worried me. How do you use it so it doesn't build up? I really liked it when I used it.

Also mineral oil...I have some but have been scared to use it. How often do you feel you need to remove it with SLS? Will co wash or SLS free be enough? I tried it on my tips and they felt like heaven so I would like to add in in occassionally.

Yes, grapeseed oil provides beautiful shine, but if you aren't washing it off with clarifying shampoo, and layer it on over and over again, you'll notice how your hair is getting harder over time. Drying oils polymerize and form a hard to remove film, unfortunately. But it doesn't have this effect on skin. Grapeseed oil is ultra-light and astringent, so it's recommended for oily acne-prone skin but not so much for dry skin.

Mineral oil washes out better than any other oil I've tried, actually. A simple conditioner or diluted SLS or SLS-free shampoo is enough.

Check out Ktani's excellent blogpost on mineral oil: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2011/12/mineral-oil-and-hair-care-and-skin.html
Ktani also provided good information on drying capacity of oils and its effect on hair: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html
Comprehensive list of oils and their drying capacity: http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/OilList.asp

biogirl87
December 4th, 2013, 05:22 PM

Also mineral oil...I have some but have been scared to use it. How often do you feel you need to remove it with SLS? Will co wash or SLS free be enough? I tried it on my tips and they felt like heaven so I would like to add in in occassionally.Erin, as far as I know (from reading ktani's article on naturallycurly.com) CO-washing can indeed remove mineral oil as long as you do not put a lot of mineral oil in your hair (only put 2 or 3 drops in your hair; when I use mineral oil, which is once in a blue moon during the colder months and the fact that I do experience much tangling at this length, I would tip the bottle of mineral oil over a cotton ball slightly and then rub the oily side of the cotton ball on my palms and that was usually enough to put it into my hair and I still had some left on my hands that I just washed off). I was also able to remove mineral oil with sulfate-free shampoo without a lot of trouble and I only washed my hair once a week when I was doing that. You can also try contacting Madora here on the forums as she knows a ton about mineral oil.

ETA: I think it is a myth floating around on the internet that you need sulfates to remove mineral oil. As long as you only put 2 or 3 drops of mineral oil in your hair, you do not need sulfates to wash it off as unlike other oils, mineral oil does not frequent re-applying (when I would use it, I put it once into my hair after washing it to help with the tangles and then again on about day 4 or day 5 to help with the tangles while I waited until the next wash day).

ErinLeigh
December 4th, 2013, 09:04 PM
yea good info thank you

Andeee
December 5th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I am new to LHC and still very old school! I'm still using an SLS shampoo and normal conditioner (a salon brand, not cheap stuff, I forget the brand. However with much reading on this site I see loads of people say the cheap stuff isn't bad for you) After washing I put a bit of extra virgin olive oil on my ends. I've never used oil more than that--I'm scared to.

I am only washing my hair once a week and even going every 8 days with no itchy-ness (I don't have oily hair--it's normal to dry).

I have put a leave in conditioner in my ends the past couple days as the ends really are tangly and dry. I'm currently on day 6.

It's about hip length (yay) and starting to get heavy, even my jumbo claw clip and second little fork / comb thing are having trouble keeping it all up sometimes.

There's a new lady at my work with tailbone length hair and she's the same age as me. Her hair is straight and not as thick, but she colors hers just like I do. Someone in real life to talk to about hair is nice!

ErinLeigh
December 5th, 2013, 09:08 AM
yes it is nice to talk to real life people about hair. There is something to be said for actually getting to SEE the hair in action as it is being dicussed. To really see the color and texture variances. I have also find when I venture off the boards and talk to someone in real life about hair care it is extremely diverse. Not sating its not here but you know there is a semi standard pattern..cowah..sulfate free..oils stretching washes etc. I find when I speak to people in person it is really quite different and I never know what to expect :)
Congrats on the hip length by the way Andee!

P.S> I really need to post pics and start a thread regarding what my second day hair looks like. It will probably make people see why I do wash everytime I need to style. I must sweat at night as my hair in the morning is curly/wavy/bent/poufy/flat all in once. I get the oddest indentations too to where even a slicked back bun wont look good. I am going to experiement with spraying it down more and see if that helps me transition into being able to style 2nd day hair.