PDA

View Full Version : Braid question - reconsidering my hair goal

LauraLongLocks
December 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I was thinking I wanted to get to terminal or knee length, but it just occurred to me that I would not be able to slide my hand all the way down my length as I braid if my hair was longer than my fingertips. So, how do you super length ladies (and gentlemen) keep the ends from braiding themselves together when you are braiding? Is it any harder if you are french or dutch braiding?

Gumball
December 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
For me it's not a whole lot different, of course I'm at mid-thigh and not knee yet. If you can't reach the ends of your hair to keep the strands from braiding together, you can hold the three strands in one hand and lift your braid up. That should allow easy reach for you to keep the ends in good order before you continue braiding.

For french/dutch braiding I couldn't give much advice. My hair tangles like nobody's business so I usually have DW help me with that, otherwise I need pretty well oiled hair to minimize as much tangling as possible.

Madora
December 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM
You have to go slowly (as opposed to going faster with waist length hair).

For me, ordinary braiding (not French braiding) is done in two phases...the first phase: braid until I reach about 15 inches then I wind the braid around my neck and continue braiding to the end, always using my fingers as a rake to keep the strands separate.

Granted, you really need to be careful..and patient, when dealing with long lengths. Some of my strands are just grazing knee now and braiding my hair is getting to be a mini production, in contrast to when my hair was just past waist.

I suppose one could French braid ultra long hair...if they had tons of patience, or ultra slick hair that didn't tangle. Keeping those strands separate so they don't braid together can be a bit much!

LauraLongLocks
December 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hmm, I might have to decide to maintain at a shorter length until my kids are grown and out of the house. Is fingertip length a manageable braiding length?

Madora
December 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hmm, I might have to decide to maintain at a shorter length until my kids are grown and out of the house. Is fingertip length a manageable braiding length?

I guess it all boils down to how much time you have to mess with your hair. I'd say wrist length would be more manageable than fingertip. I'm about 2 inches past fingertip now and braiding is definitely getting to be a hassle. Once I reach my knee length goal I'm definitely going to cut back to a length that's easier to braid.