PDA

View Full Version : Trimming schedule - what would you do?

Niphredil
September 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I have layers that I want to get rid off (most of them anyway) and hendigo colour that turned greenish from about shoulders down. Right now, my hair is touching BSL with layers starting at just above the shoulders. To get rid of everything at once, I would thus have to cut just above the shoulders, which I obviously won't do. But I do want to hold on to a sensible plan/schedule to remove the layers and colour. My hair is overal quite healthy, so actual damage (like dry or split ends, tangles or even matting) is not an issue here. Healthwise I could just continue to grow, but it is the shape and colour that I dislike.

My options are in the poll above, what would you do?
Or do you have another option ?

My next trim is scheduled around October 6th (MM lengthening) and that is when I want to start with the first trim. I want to trim every 3 months, whether that are micro-trims while growing, or larger trims when maintaining or going shorter.

Some more background information:
My ultimate goal is fairytaling at fingertip, but I do not need to get there ASAP. The growing and enjoying the benefits of different lengths are part of the journey.
I do like waist- and hiplength on me, but I am also very charmed by the pictures I have from 2003 when I was at APL with almost one-length hair. One-length/blunt hair is absolutely not my goal, I do want long layers to lighten my full/fluffy hemline. I cannot keep some of my current layers because of the colour.

So, how would you go about it ?

I set the poll to close at October 17th, as I will start my trimming schedule by then. Replies are welcome after that though!

spidermom
September 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I would trim every 2-3 months until the hendigo/layers are gone. I'd try to gain length while I trimmed, though; I wouldn't maintain at any particular length.

Niphredil
September 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I would trim every 2-3 months until the hendigo/layers are gone. I'd try to gain length while I trimmed, though; I wouldn't maintain at any particular length.
You mean something like trimming 50% of growth every 2-3 months ?
That is indeed an option that I did not yet thought about....
I will try to add that to the poll if that is possible!

Thanks! :cool:

ETA: seems I can't edit the poll. Can mods do that?
If so, would one of you add this as an option 'Trim 50% of growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.' ??
TIA!

renarok
September 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I voted grow to waist. But I think mini trims along the way would be a good thing. I think your hair is lovely, and from your profile pic the color differences from the root to ends isn't that drastic. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nevermore
September 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'd trim off my growth monthly, in your place. I know it's not on the poll choices, but self trimming/bribing a friend monthly would let you maintain at your current length and get rid of the henndigo. Personally, I'd find that much less traumatic than getting 3-4 months of growth and cutting most of it off, but that's just me. If you don't mind the loss of length, keeping in mind that your standard updos might not work with all one length hair at a shorter length, I'd cut to apl, grow to bsl, repeat. That strikes me as the easiest way to do it.

spidermom
September 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I wasn't thinking in as precise of terms as "1/2 my growth every 3 months". More like every 2 or 3 months, get a 1/2" trim. I had long layers put in at BSL and loved it at that length, despaired of how thin it made my ends look at longer lengths. I kept going in and getting a trim approximately every 3 months, and now the layers are completely gone or blended so well into the length as to be in-apparent.

Niphredil
September 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'd trim off my growth monthly, in your place. I know it's not on the poll choices, but self trimming/bribing a friend monthly would let you maintain at your current length and get rid of the henndigo. Personally, I'd find that much less traumatic than getting 3-4 months of growth and cutting most of it off, but that's just me. If you don't mind the loss of length, keeping in mind that your standard updos might not work with all one length hair at a shorter length, I'd cut to apl, grow to bsl, repeat. That strikes me as the easiest way to do it.

I do trim my hair myself (Feye's method for U shape, have been using that since I started growing for the first time in 2003). I like to trim every 3 months because I know I tend to get carried away while trimming and trimming more than I should. By trimming only 4 times a year, I feel do not focus on trimming as much. I also measure every 3 months only for the same reason. I'd rather see the avarage of 3 months, than the 'no growth this month' if it is only a unpunctual measurement. I have been to APL (and shorter) before, so I hope updo's or other styles won't be a problem ( I can make a fig8 with APL hair btw).
But thanks for your input!!

I wasn't thinking in as precise of terms as "1/2 my growth every 3 months". More like every 2 or 3 months, get a 1/2" trim. I had long layers put in at BSL and loved it at that length, despaired of how thin it made my ends look at longer lengths. I kept going in and getting a trim approximately every 3 months, and now the layers are completely gone or blended so well into the length as to be in-apparent.
Ah, I see. I guess that is what I have been doing ever since I cut the layers Jan 2008.
I feel like I want to do something with more immediate results. Instead of babysteps (yes, I know Flylady :D ).
Thank you, though, I think our hairtypes are somewhat similar also!

spidermom
September 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you, though, I think our hairtypes are somewhat similar also!

I was poking around in your photo album a minute ago, and I believe you are correct.

happymommy
September 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
(yes, I know Flylady :D ).

:D You said Flylady:D

And I voted waist and maintain but I would have voted cut half the growth if available.

Niphredil
September 10th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Still, every time I look at the pictures I have from 5 years ago, I prefer to cut to just below APL (65cm that would be) and trim back to the 65cm every 3 months until I'm satisfied....

argh, I hate being indecisive...

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I voted "grow to waist and then trim every three months," though I think I agree more with Spidermom in that you should try to gain length while you trim but that wasn't one of the poll options. :):):)

If your ultimate goal is fingertip it seems like the best thing to do is to gain as much length as you can while getting rid of the ends that make you unhappy.

Ultimately it is your decision, so do whatever you think will make you the happiest during the growth process.

Medvssa
September 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I think if you do not like a blunt cut, what I would do is to cut an U or V hemline with the shortests parts, at the sides, at APL. Then grow and repeat as you see fit.

Samikha
September 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You seem to have been happy at APL, and then the indigo and the layers wouldn't bother you as much. I think I'd do that, but I am known to be a fan of drastic measurements:D If not, I think gradually trimming off some of the growth is a good idea, as others have said. However, there is something to be said for quick results and immediate satisfaction too. I guess it depends on how traumatic you find a cut.

Merkaba
September 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Your profile pic looks just fine...I have at least 3 levels of layers, and I plan to grow towards waist with about 1' trims every few months until the layers are all even.

Niphredil
September 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
ah yes, that profile pic does look good. but the layers are somewhat hiding beneath the longer length. They start from about the shoulder. Also, freshly henna-glossed and in direct sunlight, the darker part isn't as obvious as it is too me on a day-to-day basis.

I think I like more directly visible changes indeed, as you say Samikha.
I had been hovering between shoulder and BSL for ages before the first grow-out in 2003. And after my last mayor cut in fall 2006, I have been between that shoulderlength cut and BSL since.

I do like long hair, I like my hair long. But I am not really focused on gaining length ASAP. I like to enjoy the shorter stages, and not like 'oh, I wish it was already BSL because I hate my hair right now' or something. There are quite a lot of styles one can wear with APL-BSL length hair, even at my thickness and 'horizontal volume'.

I think I feel more comfortable losing the colour and layers before growing past BSL. This time, it really is a journey and I want to enjoy the journey at least as much as the ultimate goal. Even if it includes one or more detours :D

frodolaughs
September 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I voted for stay at BSL and trim every 3 months because you don't seem worried about getting your hair longer right away, and my experience is that freshly-trimmed ends always feel nice, so while you gradually got rid of the hendigo and got your layers to where you want them, you'd be rewarding yourself with constantly refreshed ends. Also, if you do want to eventually get your hair longer I think BSL hair will give you a better place of reference for what will look good as it grows out than APL. But you should really go with whatever feels best to you.

Niphredil
September 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I like to thank all that have voted!
I still don't know what to do. Probably just a mini-trim in October (.5" at the most). I can trim more next time (early Jan 2009) if I want to.