PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fork Buns

Crumpet
December 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have purchased my first hair forks (yeah!) and while waiting for them to arrive I thought I should figure out how to wear them. I've done a few buns before that I'm sure would work better with forks than with hair sticks. Do you have a favorite fork bun? Please share and include photos if you can!

Rio040113
December 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
I have purchased my first hair forks (yeah!) and while waiting for them to arrive I thought I should figure out how to wear them. I've done a few buns before that I'm sure would work better with forks than with hair sticks. Do you have a favorite fork bun? Please share and include photos if you can!

I'm in the same position as you (just in the process of buying my first ever fork!) so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :D

faellen
December 3rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
The Pha bun is one of my faves (pic in my sig). Have a look on YouTube :D

NaClH2O
December 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
My favorite fork bun is the "disc bun", with Kaelee's variation (she made a thread somewhere...). You basically stab the fork through the entire bun (loops + center), don't just put it in one loop and out the other (this works better for sticks). This variation is amazing for getting forks to hold!

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/shankity/ee1d1e68-ad63-4371-b391-f54c1894c987_zpsb75f5e29.jpg?t=1386108998

Found the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117203) I was referring to! Check it out. :o

Crumpet
December 3rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Ooh, thanks for these suggestions! I love Kaelee's variation. I'm already in love with the disc bun. I'm excited to try it with a fork now! The pha isn't in my repertoire yet, so that's a great idea!

Kaelee
December 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Awe shucks am I famous now? :oops:

The video tutorial link is in my signature :)

lapushka
December 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
So far? Lazy wrap, nautilus, and cinnabun. The cinnabun today is my favorite.

Quixii
December 3rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
I don't know if it's an actual style, but I do this thing I call a ponytail bun [my tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGkbuwgsH8)] and a while after making the tutorial I realized that this bun holds very comfortably sans elastic if I use a fork, stabbing down through the loop. That's what I'm wearing right now (fully bunned version). :)

lapushka
December 3rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
I don't know if it's an actual style, but I do this thing I call a ponytail bun [my tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uGkbuwgsH8)] and a while after making the tutorial I realized that this bun holds very comfortably sans elastic if I use a fork, stabbing down through the loop. That's what I'm wearing right now (fully bunned version). :)

Isn't that like a knot bun? :hmm:

schnibbles
December 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM

*squee* I just tried your ponytail bun, and I love it! I like having the ends out for a change. :rockerdud
My hair is only MBL so I didn't wrap as many times as you did in the video (I think I just did like, 1 wrap... But I can't remember --- hope I can re-create this tomorrow!) It's so cute - thanks for posting this!

Quixii
December 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Isn't that like a knot bun? :hmm:
Wouldn't a knot bun be tieing the hair in a regular knot? Which I also do sometimes, but I think this is different.

*squee* I just tried your ponytail bun, and I love it! I like having the ends out for a change. :rockerdud
My hair is only MBL so I didn't wrap as many times as you did in the video (I think I just did like, 1 wrap... But I can't remember --- hope I can re-create this tomorrow!) It's so cute - thanks for posting this!
I'm so glad! :)

Hootenanny
December 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
A fork is the only thing that gets a seashell bun to hold like a rock for me! :) You can use a fork for many buns, afaik. LWBs and disc buns (esp. with Kaelee's variation :) ) work very well with forks.

You're going to have so much fun; forks are very versatile and give such amazing hold!

Yozhik
December 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
I love to use forks for cinnabuns, flipped buns, braided buns, and rose buns. :)
(That' pretty much the list of all the buns I can make, as well. :p)

slyviolet
December 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
I love that this thread is here, because.... I just got my first hair fork (which I got from the swap board!) in the mail yesterday evening, and today I wore it to work and wanted to show off my beautiful forked cinnabun! Serendipity!

My hair is only barely past my shoulders, not even APL yet, and so I was very excited that I could get a bun to stay up with the fork. I've also had some great success pinning up a chignon using the fork horizontally through the twist, and have been playing with getting it to hold a peacock tail up nicely as well.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/DivineCheshire/20131202_205512_zpsf70f795d.jpg?t=1386039078

neko_kawaii
December 3rd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Lately I have been enjoying using my forks in a Spidermom's Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU). With my three prong I aim the center prong through the loops like a single stick would be used and the outer prongs land where they will. With a two prong, the lower prong goes through the loops and the upper prong catches scalp hair above the bun (my buns are small and my forks are wide).

freesia
December 4th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Lately I have been enjoying using my forks in a Spidermom's Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU).

Spidermom's Bun is awesome ! I like how I can vary the fingers used for each loop to make it look better with my tapering length (1 finger in the first loop and 2 in the second).

Crumpet
December 4th, 2013, 07:49 AM

You are famous! I saw the video a few days ago. Its great!!

curlsgalore
December 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM

I don't see your signature anymore :(.

oatmealpie
December 4th, 2013, 08:36 AM
With my just-past-shoulder-length hair, I find that a flipped bun is just about the only style I can hold with a hair fork. The higher I place it on my head, the easier it is to get it to hold.

Sillage
December 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Anyone else read this as "Favorite Pork Buns" and get hungry? :laugh:

curlsgalore
December 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM

:rollin:.......lol

cowgirllong
December 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
My favorite fork buns are the Everyday bun, flipped bun, and a french twist. I also wear nautilus and hypno buns with forks sometimes. They are all on YT.

neko_kawaii
December 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM

I do now! Do I eat the char siu bao now or save it for the after school snack as usual. . .

Kaelee
December 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I don't see your signature anymore :(.

Hm...is it something in your profile settings? You can turn off signatures.

curlsgalore
December 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Hm...is it something in your profile settings? You can turn off signatures.

Weird..I see it now :). Thanks.

neko_kawaii
December 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Yep, I see your siggy now Kaelee, but I didn't earlier. Odd.

Kaelee
December 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
That IS odd. I didn't see it last night, but I was on my phone and assumed that was a mobile feature.

Yozhik
December 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Yum! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this!
Great (hungry) minds think alike. :p

I do now! Do I eat the char siu bao now or save it for the after school snack as usual. . .

Oh, Neko, what kind of question is that? Eat one now, and another later!!!
I wish I had a local source other than actually going into a dim sum place in Chinatown...

neko_kawaii
December 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Yum! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this!
Great (hungry) minds think alike. :p

Oh, Neko, what kind of question is that? Eat one now, and another later!!!
I wish I had a local source other than actually going into a dim sum place in Chinatown...

You poor thing! Trader Joes has frozen ones. Check the freezer section of your grocery store!

Quixii
December 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Mmm, char siu bao. One of my favourites! We don't have any place around here that sells them fresh, though. And the frozen ones are never anywhere near as good.

Crumpet
December 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hah! I love the Pork bun leaning of this thread almost as much as the suggestions.

My forks arrived in record time. I have one in right now in my modified Jamie Leigh bun. I LOVE it. I can't wait to try these suggestions. You all are the best!

Carry on with your pork bun eating...

melusine963
December 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM
The Pha bun is one of my faves (pic in my sig). Have a look on YouTube :D

I got my first hair fork on Monday, so your post prompted me to try this style again. I never managed to get it to look right with a stick, but now it works. :o

Long_hair_bear
December 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cinnabun here! Plain and simple!