PDA

View Full Version : Feye's self trimming method

joflakes
December 3rd, 2013, 03:35 AM
Hi all :waving:

I have tried looking but I can't seem to find a thread that just tells me in simple terms how to self-trim with Feye's method! Can anyone help me out?

Also, if anyone has any experience with it please share your results!

Jo

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2013, 03:38 AM
If you can't find the thread on here about it try YouTube she has her methods on there. I tried it a few months ago and it went alright. I used it to trim out the last remaining layer in my hair.

Zebra Fish
December 3rd, 2013, 03:54 AM
Here is the original link - http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/
And on youtube various people put how they do it.
Hope it helps :)

Bagginslover
December 3rd, 2013, 04:21 AM
Haibouku has a brilliant video on how she does it, thats how I cut my hemline, and it works well :)

joflakes
December 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
Thank you everyone! I've had a look on the site and YouTube and I just have to be brave enough to do it!

Has anyone done this when wet or is it a dry hair only cut?

Rio040113
December 3rd, 2013, 05:43 AM
Thank you everyone! I've had a look on the site and YouTube and I just have to be brave enough to do it!

I prefer to cut dry, less chance of a 'surprise' then (and this is coming from a straight-y!) but I'm sure people do both, it's whatever you feel more comfortable with I think, although you may well find it easier with dry hair, I know I do :)

lapushka
December 3rd, 2013, 06:02 AM

I prefer to have it cut dry as well. That's how my mom prefers it. She applies the instructions to my head. We haven't used this method recently, though, but it's quite foolproof. Just don't cut too much off. If you think, "I'll just even this out!" - DON'T!

Lately she's been using one of the compact cut methods of trimming (ponytail on forehead method). It gives me a short-layered cut, and that's nice with my waves. Your hair needs to be at least BSL or the shortest layer is going to be *way* too short for this method.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM

I dampen mine with detangler then dampen if I need to.

NuclearApple
December 3rd, 2013, 06:49 AM
I've done the self trim three times (u shape),and i prefer to cut it dry cause you can see immediately the results,last time i cut was last week and i cut wet,the result was nice but i had to dry to see all the result,so i vote dry :)
and habioku's video is amazing!

Bagginslover
December 3rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
I actually do it wet, the touch up by doing the ponytails again when its dry, and just snipping any missed bits. My hair is very straight though, so it might not work as well for a wavy or curly.

joflakes
December 3rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the dry cut. I'm gonna try to wash my hair tonight or tomorrow morning and then do it tomorrow.
I'm nervous but the great benefit of doing my own hair is that it is me that is in control! :D :scissors:

joflakes
December 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
I prefer to have it cut dry as well. That's how my mom prefers it. She applies the instructions to my head. We haven't used this method recently, though, but it's quite foolproof. Just don't cut too much off. If you think, "I'll just even this out!" - DON'T!

Lately she's been using one of the compact cut methods of trimming (ponytail on forehead method). It gives me a short-layered cut, and that's nice with my waves. Your hair needs to be at least BSL or the shortest layer is going to be *way* too short for this method.

Hmm, I think I'll pass on the compact cut method then. I want to try and keep my hair almost all one length tbh! Plus my hair is only about an inch from BSL so it is probably too short anyways :)

jupiterinleo
December 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
I trimmed an inch off my hair mid-October and made it slightly u-shaped. I did it dry and kind of regretted it. My hair is so thick and I don't have the greatest scissors; my hair would move around a lot during the cut. It didn't look too bad, just a tiny bit choppy in certain places if you looked close. I will try it wet next time, I feel like I would have more control.

heartgoesboom
December 3rd, 2013, 02:48 PM
my hair waves a little now so i actually do it wet and just double check when it's dry. but i don't self trim unless my hair is longer than waist. i just feel like i can only get away with cutting my own hair when it's so long and no one can critique it, lol.

Macaroni
December 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
I trimmed an inch off my hair mid-October and made it slightly u-shaped. I did it dry and kind of regretted it. My hair is so thick and I don't have the greatest scissors; my hair would move around a lot during the cut. It didn't look too bad, just a tiny bit choppy in certain places if you looked close. I will try it wet next time, I feel like I would have more control.

It's really all about the scissors, dull scissors will just squish the hair and not cut well. Cutting with the tip of the scissors is also a good technique. Snip, snip, snip.

Ambystoma
December 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
I do it dry on straightened hair (I don't trim or straighten very often so I combine them) but if I wanted to do it on my natural texture like I'll need to do when I start maintaining my length, I'll try it wet since my ends are always really "flicky" and bouncy. I get really great results from her U-shape method, it honestly looks like a good salon cut - like Macaroni, I think sharp hair scissors really make the difference.

Zebra Fish
December 4th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I do it on hair before washing, coz then it is "dirties and greasiest" and stays more put. When it is freshly washed, its so slippery and likes to move around and spit anything with what I try to contain it, so its hard to at least try to make it equal. So after first clean attempt I just gave up and concluded I'm gonna do it in a few days time when it is more cooperable :p

joflakes
December 4th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks everyone! I wish I could use my dirty hair today but it is in braid waves and is big and frizzy where I brushed them out so I don't think it'd be the best idea! I'll let you all know how it goes :)

jupiterinleo
December 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM
It's really all about the scissors, dull scissors will just squish the hair and not cut well. Cutting with the tip of the scissors is also a good technique. Snip, snip, snip.

I was afraid that it was the scissors. I can't afford new ones. :I Ah well.

joflakes
December 5th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Aww. I have good scissors. I just haven't gotten the time to wash my hair or the courage to do it yet! I have a friend over today so maybe I'll get her to help me out :)

stachelbeere
December 5th, 2013, 06:16 AM
OMG I love your new picture :D hehe

Fairlight63
December 5th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I think that it is best to have someone else cut your hair if you are planning on taking off more than an inch, it is really hard to get it even in the back. I was trying to take off a couple of inch. the other day & I was having trouble getting it even - the left side was longer than the right - then before I knew it my hair was cut to waist length. I started out with my hair at tbl (39 1/2") and ended up with it at waist length (35") It still is not really even if you look close at it - but I put the scissors away before I wound up with a pixie! LOL

joflakes
December 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM
OMG I love your new picture :D hehe

Thanks! :)

I think that it is best to have someone else cut your hair if you are planning on taking off more than an inch, it is really hard to get it even in the back. I was trying to take off a couple of inch. the other day & I was having trouble getting it even - the left side was longer than the right - then before I knew it my hair was cut to waist length. I started out with my hair at tbl (39 1/2") and ended up with it at waist length (35") It still is not really even if you look close at it - but I put the scissors away before I wound up with a pixie! LOL

Luckily I'm only going to do a tiny trim so I should be okay I think :)

nicecupoftea
December 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I self trim my own BSL hair and it's always worked out pretty well. I kind of modified Feye's method for the U-shaped cut. I feel so much more comfortable cutting my own hair than letting someone else do it.

I always cut my hair wet because it's easier to get a keep it taut and together.
I separate it into to two even pony tails at the front and trim 1/2 an inch or so off each. If you're worried about getting them even in length then you can combine them under your chin to check (just make sure your head it straight). That process makes a V-cut.
Then I check the back using two mirrors and locate the middle point of the V. I grab the middle section of my hair that includes the "point" and 2" or so each side. I comb this section down, then hold it tight and taut between my fingers and bring it above my head so I can see it in the mirror in front of me. You should be able to see the V shape and cut the tip off to form a U.

I hope that description helped someone :)
I'm no professional but I've learnt how to do a lot of different haircuts from hairdressing videos and I've been cutting my own and my families hair for a while. I feel like the V or U cut is much easier to do on yourself than a straight across cut.
Sharp scissors are an absolute must. Blunt scissors might make even more split ends than you started with. Just make sure not to use your hair cutting scissors to cut anything else like paper or fabric.

joflakes
December 6th, 2013, 02:11 AM
I self trim my own BSL hair and it's always worked out pretty well. I kind of modified Feye's method for the U-shaped cut. I feel so much more comfortable cutting my own hair than letting someone else do it.

I always cut my hair wet because it's easier to get a keep it taut and together.
I separate it into to two even pony tails at the front and trim 1/2 an inch or so off each. If you're worried about getting them even in length then you can combine them under your chin to check (just make sure your head it straight). That process makes a V-cut.
Then I check the back using two mirrors and locate the middle point of the V. I grab the middle section of my hair that includes the "point" and 2" or so each side. I comb this section down, then hold it tight and taut between my fingers and bring it above my head so I can see it in the mirror in front of me. You should be able to see the V shape and cut the tip off to form a U.

I hope that description helped someone :)
I'm no professional but I've learnt how to do a lot of different haircuts from hairdressing videos and I've been cutting my own and my families hair for a while. I feel like the V or U cut is much easier to do on yourself than a straight across cut.
Sharp scissors are an absolute must. Blunt scissors might make even more split ends than you started with. Just make sure not to use your hair cutting scissors to cut anything else like paper or fabric.

I am just about to try and get the courage to do it! I'm gonna watch the YouTube video again and then give it a whirl. Eek!

joflakes
December 6th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Well I did it and a S&D AND I cut my bangs back in while I was at it, haha! it went well. I cut off 1.5 - 2cm I think all over, with a bit extra in the front to even out my bangs and a few bits that are face framing. It feels a lot better now! I feel more relaxed as well, I kept fixating on trimming and never doing it :D thanks everyone :)

Nesoi
January 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
I just tried this for the first time as I had some racer hairs and felt my ends were starting to look a bit straggly. I had to get my husband to help as my hair is only collarbone length, but it worked really well. The instructions were easy for him to follow (he always used to trim my hair when it was waist length) and the result is neat without losing a ton of my hard-earned length. We did it on dry hair, after detangling with my BBB. Thumbs up!

lapushka
January 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I just tried this for the first time as I had some racer hairs and felt my ends were starting to look a bit straggly. I had to get my husband to help as my hair is only collarbone length, but it worked really well. The instructions were easy for him to follow (he always used to trim my hair when it was waist length) and the result is neat without losing a ton of my hard-earned length. We did it on dry hair, after detangling with my BBB. Thumbs up!

Glad it went well! :) My mom used to cut it for me as well, using this method. Now I have layers (compact cut / ponytail method).

NativeSparrow
July 28th, 2014, 03:36 PM
So, I am thinking of triming my own hair. Feye's method certainly seems to be the most talked about method on LHC. I'm just nervous. I only need a slight trim. Im just trying to figure out if this is the best method for me. my hair dresser cut layers into my hair the last time I went. she was supposed to just be trimming splits off of the old layers I was growing out but I walked out with even worse layers (sigh)!! But now my layers are very split, moreso than my longest ends. & I have this crappy looking annoying "ducktail" thing going on at the middle of my back. I hate it, & my trust for her is shaken. Is there any method that will allow me to just trim up the layers while still allowing them to grow out? I just want to cut a very small bit (1/4"). Can I combine two methods? One for the layers & maybe one of the Feye's Methods for the "Ducktail"?

Can get BoyFriend to help

Any & all tips will be wildly appreciated :)

leilani
July 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM
You can microtrim very tiny sections at a time. Or you can use the compact cut so the layers all line up in one spot that y can find easily and trim a teensy bit every month, to keep splits at bay. I do so love a one minute process that simply takes an eighth of an inch off all the ends of my layers with no hassle. Buh bye splitsville.

NativeSparrow
July 28th, 2014, 03:49 PM
You can microtrim very tiny sections at a time. Or you can use the compact cut so the layers all line up in one spot that y can find easily and trim a teensy bit every month, to keep splits at bay. I do so love a one minute process that simply takes an eighth of an inch off all the ends of my layers with no hassle. Buh bye splitsville.

Can you tell me about the compact method? Is that the one where you flip your head upside down & do a ponytail? I just dont want to make the layers even worse & also, that ducktail hasgot to go!! Its driving me nuts!!!

lapushka
July 28th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Can you tell me about the compact method? Is that the one where you flip your head upside down & do a ponytail? I just dont want to make the layers even worse & also, that ducktail hasgot to go!! Its driving me nuts!!!

There's two compact cut methods. One is where you make a ponytail on the top of your head and snip a tiny bit off (longer layers), the other is where you make a ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip a tiny bit off (shorter layers). To give you an idea. I have hip+ length and my shortest layer is APL+, done with the latter method (for short layers).

I wouldn't recommend either method for hair shorter than BSL or you are going to go into shock about how short those layers will be.

NativeSparrow
July 29th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks Lapushka. I'll Google & YouTube a little bit. I havent figured out the abbreviations for all the different lengths yet, but my hair is about 29 inches right now at the longest point, just about waist length (could be measuring wrong & that is a rough measure using phone charger at work) :p but I don't want to keep the layers, I just want to dust them so that they dont get split to high heaven while Im growing them out. Maybe I should go to a profesional (a diiferent one) until I am all one length :) Thank yall for the advice though

lapushka
July 29th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks Lapushka. I'll Google & YouTube a little bit. I havent figured out the abbreviations for all the different lengths yet, but my hair is about 29 inches right now at the longest point, just about waist length (could be measuring wrong & that is a rough measure using phone charger at work) :p but I don't want to keep the layers, I just want to dust them so that they dont get split to high heaven while Im growing them out. Maybe I should go to a profesional (a diiferent one) until I am all one length :) Thank yall for the advice though

Here's how to do the long layer method (both compact cut methods are described in the book, "Haircutting for dummies" - do recommend!)
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html

shalindra
May 22nd, 2018, 05:35 PM
I just tried this, worked rather well, though my hair is so thin you can hardly get a scrunchy to the end without
it falling out

Groovy Granny
May 22nd, 2018, 10:05 PM
I just tried this, worked rather well, though my hair is so thin you can hardly get a scrunchy to the end without
it falling out

Hair ties work better, and when you can't reach any more, bring it to the front....tighten the elastic and continue moving it to the end (grasping the top securely).

MusicalSpoons
May 23rd, 2018, 06:12 AM
it falling out

I've only ever done it with a hair elastic for that very reason. I hate them, but it had to be done - and it did the job; tbh it ended up being my fingers gripping the hair and the hairtie acting as a guide to make sure I was going straight, not wonky :)

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2018, 12:00 PM
Yes, I use my fingers or the short creaclip from the elastic to the end.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2018, 12:51 PM
When I used this method, we used a firm elastic band (the ones without metal), and tightened it about halfway through the hair; then proceeded to inch it down. You have to tighten it along the way or you have a chance of absolutely ruining the cut.