PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on hairstyles

LauraLongLocks
December 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
How do you decide what style to do every day? It seems easy to just do it the same every day, because then you don't have to think about it. The decision is already made. But that's boring, and I want to avoid same-style stress on my hair. There are so many choices and variations that I just find myself overwhelmed sometimes. I know it's silly. I have to make a lot of decisions every day, and I get so tired of making decisions. It seems to cause inertia for me. I just stop and stare, like a deer in the headlights. So, give me a way to simplify the decision-making. How do you decide how to wear your hair?

Magalo
December 2nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Write different hairstyles on little pieces of paper, put them in jar, and pick one each morning. :)

endlessly
December 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
I have about five or so "go-to" hairstyles that I feel 100% confident with and I normally will alternate with those. If I have some free time, every once in a while, I'll sit down and try something new. I try to alternate the styles and maybe just decorate a little differently when I wear them, so most days it looks like a completely new one versus one I wore the previous week. If all else fails, a bun with hairsticks works well, too.

RainbowBowser
December 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
Write different hairstyles on little pieces of paper, put them in jar, and pick one each morning. :)

This is the best idea I've ever heard! (I struggle and end up leaving my hair down all the time)

LauraLongLocks
December 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM

I like this idea. Thanks!

I have about five or so "go-to" hairstyles that I feel 100% confident with and I normally will alternate with those. If I have some free time, every once in a while, I'll sit down and try something new. I try to alternate the styles and maybe just decorate a little differently when I wear them, so most days it looks like a completely new one versus one I wore the previous week. If all else fails, a bun with hairsticks works well, too.

While this may seem entirely too complicated, I think I may incorporate some go-to styles to repeat more frequently in my jar. Thanks!

Until I realized how unimportant my hairstyle is to my life, and how I was stressing over it, I never thought I had trouble making decisions. It's actually just decision-making exhaustion, because I have to make decisions for and in behalf of so many people all day every day, and I can't have a complete thought before I'm being asked something new. My mind needs peace! Anyway, if I can simplify the hairstyle decision, I can simplify some other decisions that have as little consequence in my life. Thank you!

LauraLongLocks
December 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM
Hmm, maybe if I assign ponytail-start buns to one day of the week, parted styles to another day of the week, buns to another day, braids to another day, and so on, that could help me get the variety I'm looking for, and keep me from getting into a repeat rut, or being stuck in the bathroom trying to decide.

mariakatija
December 2nd, 2013, 08:57 PM
You could try picking two styles that you want to master and alternate them until you master them! That's what I am trying to do that with the French braid.

NaClH2O
December 2nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
I start my day by picking out what hair toy I want to use (stick, flexi, ficcare, fork...etc), then I figure out a hairstyle to go with it :) I like to coordinate hair toys with clothing colors and I don't like to repeat bun/toy combination in the same few weeks. I see the same people everyday and like to keep things interesting! My coworkers and people in my classes are highly amused by my ever-changing hair. :thumbsup:

tlang
December 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM
This may seem frustrating to those of you with really long hair, but my hair is very short still (chin length) so I'm curious too, how did you style while in the growing, changing,awkward stages?

0xalis
December 2nd, 2013, 09:49 PM
tlang, i remember when my hair was that length. I usually wore it down and ignored it, or wore it in a stubby low ponytail, or a half-up. Honestly, if you like the way your hair looks down, enjoy it while it lasts. Once your hair is long enough to start brushing against clothing you're going to have a lot of people here telling you to wear your hair up to protect it. I miss wearing my hair down every day, but my ends are fragile due to bleach damage :(

Right now I just throw my hair up in whatever way happens, [usually a looped-ponytail-bun-thing] and it'll usually change once or twice throughout the day, because I have to constantly re-do it. My head gets itchy when I wear it in the same style too long, so I take it down to let my scalp breathe and put it back up. When my hair gets longer [probably BSL] I'll start wearing braids more often.

tlang
December 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but, wearing it down is damaging? Whaaaat? I always thought up was the hazard of long hair.

RainbowBowser
December 2nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but, wearing it down is damaging? Whaaaat? I always thought up was the hazard of long hair.

It can be, as its at more risk for tangling and getting mechanical damage in zippers, backpacks, seatbelts, purses and so on. Up is a hazard if you wear ordinary elastics all the time (especially with the metal things catching onto hair)

Kaelee
December 2nd, 2013, 11:00 PM
I tend to wear the same style, but switch hairtoys. Then some days, like today, my hair just REFUSES to cooperate with what I choose to do with it, so I give up after a few failed attempts and do something else. :lol:

HintOfMint
December 2nd, 2013, 11:28 PM

Best. Idea. Ever.

Seriously, this is great. I've been in a hair rut as well and really unmotivated to keep my hair up. This is really helpful!

Quixii
December 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
I also have about 5 go-to styles. I choose which one based on what I want done with my hair. If I'm going to braid it, it's probably going to stay braided until I next wash it, so I put those off until closer to then, just in case. If I'm going to twist it, like in a cinnabun, my hair will hold that twisted shape until I next wash it, so I need to make sure I don't want to braid it or do anything untwisted before I do that. Or if I've already done it, then I limit myself to twisted styles. If my hair is freshly washed, I don't want to do anything with sections, because that'll destroy any chance of enjoying my natural curl pattern.

Sometimes it also depends on what hair toy I want to use that day. Or am specifically avoiding that day.

Sometimes it depends on what I'm wearing that day. Like it's been cold lately. Which bun works best with a hat or headband or scarf?

Sometimes I do get stuck in a rut and just do the same one a bunch until I hate it or my hair tells me it hates it and refuses to stay. Sometimes the bun I wear that day is simply the only one my hair will cooperate with. :lol:

kme81
December 3rd, 2013, 01:05 AM
I often wear a cinnabun or knot bun because I'm almost always running late in the mornings. I switch it up by moving the location of the bun and using different hair toys. I also will sometimes twist the front area of my hair. Today I wore a cinnabun off to the side, up near one of my ears and secured it with two claw clips. Tomorrow may be the same, it may not! :)

neko_kawaii
December 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
I think about what I have to do that day and from that I know what types of styles and toys would be functionally most appropriate. Frequently I pick a toy first and then do a style that works well with it. Or if I have time and want to fuss over a new style or special project I do that. I have a list of styles I'd like to try some day to refer to for inspiration should nothing come to mind.

Miasen
December 3rd, 2013, 02:37 AM
I never decide on my hair in the morning, I've cut down my morning routine to the absolutely minimum to sleep in a bit longer. My hair stays in whatever do it was during the night. If I braid my hair it usually stay in that braid for about three days, same with buns. If buns get saggy during the day I just quickly do it again at work.

I haven't done anything other than braids or cinnabuns with my hair in months, I'm very boring. :p

So, to sum it up: I don't decide in the morning, I just run around with messy hair. :p

carrielynn
December 3rd, 2013, 04:43 AM
For me it depends on 1) how long since wash day and 2) what my plans are for the day. Because I'm a wavy/curly, I always wear it down the first day because that's when my waves look best. Day 2 is often a messy bun or some updo (if it's a work day I'll make it look a little nicer but if I'm home with the kids it's just messy up). Day 3 is often a braid or another messy bun, or another wash day if I have the time. I can't wait to get my first hair sticks, and I can't wait till my hair is a little longer and I can do more things... I may need to try that jar idea!

browneyedsusan
December 3rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
Snoop through the "how are you wearing your hair today" thread. I have to google lots of the names of buns and braids, but there are a bunch of good ideas there!

torrilin
December 3rd, 2013, 06:57 AM
How do you decide what style to do every day? It seems easy to just do it the same every day, because then you don't have to think about it. The decision is already made. But that's boring, and I want to avoid same-style stress on my hair. There are so many choices and variations that I just find myself overwhelmed sometimes. I know it's silly. I have to make a lot of decisions every day, and I get so tired of making decisions. It seems to cause inertia for me. I just stop and stare, like a deer in the headlights. So, give me a way to simplify the decision-making. How do you decide how to wear your hair?

I don't really think about it in terms of a single style.

Most buns are based on a ponytail whether you choose to add an elastic or not. Do I want a bun? Then odds are my hair is going into a ponytail. If I'm in a tearing hurry, grab an elastic off my wrist and make it so. I can always fish some pins or a fork out when I'm ready to pin down a particular style. There's a sub-family here of sectioned buns. A lot of buns will look one way done with a single ponytail and a bit different if you split your ponytail into 2 or more sections. Braid the sections, and you get even more looks. Depending on the bun and your sectioning, you can get some radically different looks this way, without a whole lot of effort learning new buns. And it's easier to form thinner sections of hair into buns, so this is very worthwhile for exploration if your hair is shorter.

Twin braids are a very comfortable style, and they work well as the basis for a lot of different updos. Heidi braids, the oval bun, Casey's romantic braided updo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKWx47RD20), Loepsie's 4 spring styles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6PaKIx01U) and I am sure there are more options. It's also a lot easier IMO to polish your braiding skills on twin braids vs single braids.

And then of course, there's my default single braid. It gives pretty similar options to a ponytail, but it tends to take more length to get the same style. A lot of super-longhairs rely on braided styles for this reason.

So when I pick, I'm not usually picking a particular hairdo. I'm picking a base style. It sets the stage. I can change my mind pretty easily within a family of styles.

fairylover46
December 3rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
I wear my hair up every day that I work because I am a nurse and I don't want it to fall into anything icky. There are also a few coworkers that can't seem to stop playing with any part of my hair that is not confined, which kind of gets aggravating when I am trying to focus on something important and feel hands in my hair. Anyway, Habioku, Torrin Paige, and Seeshami have beautiful styles that I use.(they have links to their channels somewhere in LHC but I don't remember where, I think maybe the "show me you braid" thread?) I put "hair ornaments" in that match my scrubs. I have recently become obsessed with hair taping and have matching ribbon for all my uniforms. I am the only one at work that has long hair, so I have developed "followers" that have to check out my hairstyle every day. I also work with the geriatric population and they love seeing something different, too. Decorating hair on the holidays is also a good way to experiment and do something different. On Thanksgiving I wore a crown braid and threaded orange and yellow narrow ribbons through it. For Christmas I plan on making a "hair wreath" and putting little Christmasy looking charms on it with a tiny little spray of fake greenery and red ribbon at the bottom. Just use your imagination and have fun with your hair. There are endless possibilities and ideas on the internet.

torrilin
December 3rd, 2013, 07:18 AM

Nope. Down is damaging. Depending on what you do, it may just be your hair at risk, but if you do things like work in a chemistry lab or in a machine shop, having loose long hair can literally kill you. Given my hobbies and tastes (swimming, woodworking, model airplanes, bike riding, spinning yarn, cooking) it's very much in my interest to wear my hair up, and I fortunately developed the habit young. Depending on your hair type and life choices, wearing your hair down all the time can be doable. Between my hobbies and my stupidly fine hair tho, down is not advisable for me.

YMMV. If you're looking to grow to just to waist, or if you don't ever play with fire and power tools (not even a kitchen mixer or a sewing machine), down all the time can be totally doable. If you're looking for hair that's super long (past your butt or your knees), you'll probably do better with at least some updos.

fairylover46
December 3rd, 2013, 07:36 AM
I also make my own hairsticks, and make matching earrings to go with them. The internet has all kinds of tutorials on how to do that, too. Hobby Lobby has these big hairpin things that have a tiny loop at the bend. I buy pendants and attach them with a jump ring. It takes 10 seconds to do and tada! New hair toy for practically nothing! Sometimes I wear the same style a few days in a row but use different ornaments. Everybody thinks I did a new style just because something different is in my hair. I have seen pretty silvery bookmarks in the shape of a shepherds hook that have a little charm hanging from them but I haven't tried that (yet). They are in the beading section. The variety and experimentation prevents boredom with styles, and it's fun to do! (Yes, I am obsessed, but I am ok with that).

Madora
December 3rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
When I was younger, it was always a question of time as I had to catch the bus at a certain time in order to be at work. So I usually French braided my hair in a single braid, or did my avatar hairstyle if I had enough time. Nowadays I'm content to have it in a braided bun on top of my head or a lace crown braid. I never had any problems with deciding what style to do although sometimes they didn't turn out as well as expected.

LauraLongLocks
December 3rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
My problem lies not in having zero ideas of what to do with my hair, it is in having way too many options and not being able to decide on one of them. All of them are so much fun, and look so pretty! (Though, I do wish I had more hair toys to work with, but these things come with time.)

Last night, I classed all the styles I know into three categories:

1. non-braid, non-ponytail started styles
2. Ponytail start styles (braided and un-braided)
3. braided styles (which don't start with a ponytail first)

I listed all my styles according to their classification, and posted the list on my bathroom wall. I am rotating between the three classes of styles twice in a week, to take up 6 of the days in the week. On the 7th day, I can pick from any of my known styles, or I can learn a new style. So, it's not quite as random as the jar idea, but it allows me to practice all my known styles and helps me to stay out of a style-rut. Long hair is supposed to be fun, because you can do so many styles with it. I want to be sure and exploit this aspect of having long hair to the fullest. Thank you for all the great suggestions and idea generating here. :)

ashke50
December 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Snoop through the "how are you wearing your hair today" thread. I have to google lots of the names of buns and braids, but there are a bunch of good ideas there!

Ooh, good idea.

I have a number of go to styles, mostly buns or plaited buns, which I wear for work. Can't do anything that takes too long to prepare, because I am terrible at getting up on time! At weekends or on holiday I try out new styles, or do things like pinning my plaits over my head, which take a bit more time to get right. I generally try to wear something that goes with my clothes for the day, which helps cut down my options so I can decide.

And on mornings when I am running really late I can grab a hairstick and have my hair out of the way in 30 seconds!

Aingeal
December 3rd, 2013, 06:13 PM

That's an awesome idea!

spidermom
December 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
I have hair "moods". Of course there are a couple of buns that I use if I have to hurry-up-quick do something with my hair, but if I have time to consider, I go with what appeals the most.

excentricat
December 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
For me, I put some of the basic ones on rotation by "type" and then if I felt like getting more involved I'd do a more complicated one.
So it would go day 1: wrapped bun (any wrapped type bun I felt like), day 2: twisted bun (again, whichever I wanted), day 3: braid (any type, and could be bunned or not), then repeat.

It guaranteed me some variety even if I got stuck in a rut about which ones I was doing.

ETA: Just realized you already did something similar with a different categorization.

TrapperCreekD
December 3rd, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'm afraid I'm not much help, I don't really have a system, just a "I want to wear x today" feeling. After learning how to dutch braid, I've gotten a lot lazier and use it as a base for a bunch of variations. It also depends on what day hair I'm on - some styles just don't look good or play well with the greasies.

I love the picking the style of a jar idea!