PDA

View Full Version : Ponytails = Headaches, everything else = ok

LoriSunrise
December 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Am I the only one that gets head aches from ponytails? Full or half up... doesn't matter. I've noticed it ever since my hair got long enough to pull into a scrunci... as soon as I tie it into a ponytail, or put a barrette to hold it, I get a head ache. I thought maybe I was putting the ponytail too tight, but even a loose one gives me a headache.... What strikes me as weird, I can twist it up into a bun and put a hair-stick through it and leave it all day and no headache... I can even do a snug french braid it from the crown all the way down, no headache.

DweamGoiL
December 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM
It's all how the weight of the hair is distributed. I have a lot of hair so it tends to get heavy. I get headaches from ponytails also. It starts out fine, but after 2 hrs or so, it really starts to bother me. By the end of the day, I have a full blown migraine. I just tend to shy away from ponytails for long periods of time. I also try to be mindful as to how my bun sits so the same thing doesn't happen.

LoriSunrise
December 1st, 2013, 10:03 PM
That makes sense. I tend to put my buns in the same location as a ponytail, so I'm guessing maybe it's the way the hair is pulled? Cuz if I do a ponytai;. I get the same thing... it's tolerable for a couple hours, but after 2 to 3 hours, it starts hurting. If I leave it up longer, it gets worse.

Madora
December 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM
If you're getting a headache then perhaps you have too much hair in your ponytail. The way around that is to section the ponytail..i.e. divide it in two sections. Braid one section loosely and then wind it around the ponytail base.

If your scalp is hurting from the ponytail, then it is a question of accustomizing your follicles to the way the ponytail is made. The way around the pain is to gradually accustom your follicles to the ponytail by wearing it up a few hours each day. Once you can wear it comfortable for "x" number of hours, increase the time it stays up by 15 minutes and then take it down. Little by little your follicles will "learn" the new position and won't protest when you pony.

Someone here also recommended wetting the scalp to help ease the follicle pain.

MeowScat
December 1st, 2013, 10:17 PM
The longer the length of your ponytail, the more scalp pain there is to endure. i hate that! I can only wear ponytails for short periods of time, including half-up ponys. They either have to be on top of my head, or a really low (nape) pony. Even those hurt and require so much re-tightening, that it's not worth the pain and hair damage. It sucks, I miss the look and simplicity of them.

I end up having to detangle my hair and put it up in a bun on top of my head. It's frustrating!

biogirl87
December 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM
LoriSunrise, I do not typically get pain from having my hair up in a ponytail (especially at the length my hair is at right now), but when my hair was probably an inch below BSL, I would get pain with any updo that was not a cinnamon-like bun (it did not look like a true cinnamon bun). I think my hair or my scalp hated updos in general as the only updo I could get to stay up for more than 10-15 minutes if I started walking around and that did not cause pain for me was a cinnamon-like bun securing with small claw clips. This was one of the reasons that led me to have my hair cut as I knew that if I could have the cinnamon-like bun as the only updo I could do (I could not make other buns look good with my hair and the layers I had in it at the time and braids just looked weird enough that I would not wear braids in public and only wore them one time at home when I was sleeping) I would eventually damage my hair. I know this does not help you probably, but this is something to consider. I think some people's hair is just not meant to be long hair.

Lyv
December 2nd, 2013, 12:30 AM
I get headaches when I have my hair in a ponytail too. I think it's just to much weight it one place just hanging off your scalp and if you're hair tie is too tight it'll be even worse.

stachelbeere
December 2nd, 2013, 05:07 AM
same here although it's my follicles hurting, not my head.

I also get the same kind of pain from sock buns, so I prefer to make them without making a ponytail first, it seems to me that the weight is distributed better.

LoriSunrise
December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
I'll have to try putting it up when damp and getting it used to being up like that in baby steps. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!!

Madora
December 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'll have to try putting it up when damp and getting it used to being up like that in baby steps. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!!

Baby steps, yes...but don't put it up wet because hair is at its weakest when it is wet.

I suggested dampening your scalp and meant that you do it after your experience the scalp follicle pain. I haven't tried this myself, but others here have stated that it helped them with the pain.

wildkratt
December 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
This is very interesting. I've worn ponytails a lottttt since I was very young and had much shorter hair, but it doesn't hurt unless I pull my hair back super tight Latina-style. Actually, I get pain sometimes when having a bun in my hair all day. For the past year, I do the standard cinnabun more often than I do ponytail.

I usually do my buns pretty tight to keep it compact, and secure the ends to my scalp hair with a plastic clip or just use a scruchie hair tie. The bun hurts sometimes, but I hate having it look/feel loose. I have the exact opposite problem as you LoriSunrise! :P

wildkratt
December 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Does anyone else experience this or am I just a weirdo?

endlessly
December 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
I get terrible head pain whenever I even so much as think about putting my hair into a ponytail! Part of it is due to the fact that my hair is very heavy and having the full weight focused on one spot of my scalp causes a lot of discomfort. However, I can put it into a pony and pin it up into a bun without any problems...strange, but true.

Madora
December 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
This is very interesting. I've worn ponytails a lottttt since I was very young and had much shorter hair, but it doesn't hurt unless I pull my hair back super tight Latina-style. Actually, I get pain sometimes when having a bun in my hair all day. For the past year, I do the standard cinnabun more often than I do ponytail.

I usually do my buns pretty tight to keep it compact, and secure the ends to my scalp hair with a plastic clip or just use a scruchie hair tie. The bun hurts sometimes, but I hate having it look/feel loose. I have the exact opposite problem as you LoriSunrise! :P

Your hair should never be pulled back super tight. That's asking for traction alopecia, not to mention the stress being put on your delicate strands.

Better to learn how to section your hair to distribute the weight so that it is distributed more evenly on the scalp. Cinnabuns are fine (as long as you don't pull the hair tightly. You can also do sectioned braids, roped braids, Cameo bun, etc. Ponytails are not a good idea as over time they cause breakage which can lead to discernable thinning at the ponytail spot.

Foxylocks
December 2nd, 2013, 07:33 PM
I don't get headaches, but ponytails are terribly painful for my sensitive scalp. I prefer a braid.

duchess67
December 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
Even though my hair is fine and thin, when I put my hair in ponytails it hurts, a low ponytail hurts less. Due to that I prefer to put my hair in buns they are much more comfortable, doesn't hurt at all.

SongofLove
December 3rd, 2013, 02:53 AM
Nope, I never could stand ponytails for more than a few minutes. My least favorite hairstyle of all time for the sheer discomfort! I think ponytails can look really pretty but I steer clear :)