PDA

View Full Version : Face Framing Layers for Updos?

LisaB234
December 1st, 2013, 04:49 PM
So, I grew out my bangs after having them most of my life. I LOVE the ease of styling and I really like the look when my hair is down or worn with a headband. BUT I now find my updos to be too harsh or severe looking. Do you have ideas on how to soften the look? I find a part helps, but I am still thinking about some sort of face framing layers to wear down with updos would be nice.

I am not skilled with the search feature and wasn't able to find pictures, but I am sure this has been covered before. Does anyone have pictures to share or links?

Thanks a bunch!

Kaelee
December 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
I have them, I cut mine myself and they tend to look better, or worse, depending (this time worse LOL. I cut them the same way, but somehow it didn't work so well this time.)

spidermom
December 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
I prefer something to soften the face. I have light layered bangs that I can wear down, swept to the side, or waved/spiked back with gel. I like this so much better than the all skinned back look.

DarleneH
December 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM
I know what you mean. My hair's all one length, but when I have updos it just looks severe and old on me. I've also been tinkering with cutting in some face-framing bits. I just keep chickening out!

Crumpet
December 1st, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have 'natural bangs' (hair with short terminal length) around my temples and forehead. I trimmed these a bit a few weeks ago and I use them as faux bangs/face framers. They're great because I didn't loose any thickness and they hide in my hair well when I don't want them.

LauraLongLocks
December 1st, 2013, 08:12 PM
Before my big chop to a pixie in May 2008, I had hair that was BSL+, and no bangs. When I cut it to a pixie, I had hair to frame my face, and the response was great. Everyone told me how cute it was, and how I looked younger, and how nicely it framed my face. So when I grew it out this time, I started off without bangs, but after I reached APL, I really missed having hair to frame my face like I had in my shorter styles. So, I took the plunge and got straight-cut thick, blunt bangs, and 2.5 years later, I still love them. It was the perfect compromise. Now when I wear my hair up, I still have something to frame my face and I think they are just right. I wear my hair up almost all the time. Framing layers on the sides, and layers in the back weren't such a good idea, because those have taken forever to grow out, and all they do is shred braids and make updos more difficult to do without hair popping out all over the place. If I was planning on wearing my hair down and putting it in rag curls every night, then layers would be awesome, but since mine is straight, and I wear it up nearly all the time, layers were a bad choice for me.

If you are unsure you want bangs, try some thin, wispy bangs to start with. See how it goes. They can always be grown out again if you decide you hate them. Just remember that bangs do require upkeep every 6 weeks or so, and that they do require some styling/blowdrying to get them to lay the way you want. If you are willing to put in that effort, they'll be well worth it. :)

Lindseyh
December 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM
I have this same problem! Some updos make me look like I'm trying to give myself a facelift lol. Pictures illustrating what others have done would be awesome!

LaurelSpring
December 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM
Check this out and see if it helps. I liked it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uZnKYAyZs

If you like her front layers, she has a video of how to do it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMI

I like this look because it gives me the best of both worlds.

askan
December 1st, 2013, 10:00 PM
I don't have bangs, but I don't like the all hair pulled back look on me either, so I like to french/dutchbraid the bang hair separately or pin it back and create a little bump. I've got these little shorter pieces by the temples and I always pull them loose, I think that softens it up a bit.

fairview
December 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM
Do a search for Martin Parsons. Undoubtedly the best updo artist in the world. If you can find it, there is a 2 disc set of ten updos that can be done in 10minutes, after some practice of course. Very simple to do but look like you paid a hundred bucks for it.

MeowScat
December 2nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Have you tried clip on bangs or wispy extension pieces? They might help you figure out what you like.

stachelbeere
December 2nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
I know what you mean. My hair's all one length, but when I have updos it just looks severe and old on me. I've also been tinkering with cutting in some face-framing bits. I just keep chickening out!

I'm in the EXACT same situation :) I keep chickening out too!!

veryhairyfairy
December 2nd, 2013, 07:53 AM

I'm in the EXACT same situation :) I keep chickening out too!!

Me three! :lol:
I've been considering cutting in face framing layers and side-swept bangs for over a year! I've always had some sort of hair around my face, but with school and summer camping I've been seeing bangs/layers as just something else to worry about, so I've grown all that out to about APL.
I worry about: Will they get greasy before I want to wash? Will I be able to cut them long enough to go behind my ears securely but still look good styled? Am I willing to do extra styling to make them look good or hide the greasies?
It's a tough decision lol!

To the OP; Face framing layers and bangs really do soften updos. They also give you something to curl/straighten/dye without worry because they get cut so frequently.
My best advice if you're going to cut them yourself is to make them thinner than you think you'll want at first. It can be very frustrating growing out part of too-thick bangs or layers.

stachelbeere
December 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Me three! :lol:
I've been considering cutting in face framing layers and side-swept bangs for over a year! I've always had some sort of hair around my face, but with school and summer camping I've been seeing bangs/layers as just something else to worry about, so I've grown all that out to about APL.
I worry about: Will they get greasy before I want to wash? Will I be able to cut them long enough to go behind my ears securely but still look good styled? Am I willing to do extra styling to make them look good or hide the greasies?
It's a tough decision lol!

To the OP; Face framing layers and bangs really do soften updos. They also give you something to curl/straighten/dye without worry because they get cut so frequently.
My best advice if you're going to cut them yourself is to make them thinner than you think you'll want at first. It can be very frustrating growing out part of too-thick bangs or layers.

exactly! my worries are: if I don't want them around my face - will I still be able to incorporate them in updos/ braids ets? what is the optimal length of them? should they reach chin/ nose/ lip/ eye or maybe just collarbone? how long should my fringe be? ...
then again, I'm scared of going to a hair stylist. what if he'll want to layer and cut my hair, I've never been so sure what I want my hair to be like... argh... I'm also scared of doing it myself.

Yozhik
December 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hey all - I considered ffls/bangs for about a year and a half before cutting them in, and when I made the first cut, I was terrified. :laugh:
However, they turned out great, and I love them! I cut a triangle shape of "bangs" at chin level, and then drew a line back from the tip of the triangle back to my ears and cut those sections of hair (ffls) to collarbone. I find these lengths great because they curl around my face with all of my hair down, I can take out the collarbone pieces to get longer ringlets, I can have the chin-length "bangs" hang flatteringly in front of my ears or tuck them behind my ears, or I can wear a high bun and pull them out of the way. ^_^

excentricat
December 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
I finally got brave enough to cut some face framing pieces for myself. I couldn't be happier. I cut them really long, chin length pulled straight. This keeps them too short to get caught into the updos (because that would defeat the purpose), but long enough to tuck behind my ears. It softens my face and hairline without being on my face all the time. I figured I could always go shorter later if I wanted, but longer takes time. For those of you on the fence, go for it. And remember, if you cut them long and don't like them, it won't take too long for them to go back into your updos.

LisaB234
December 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Great suggestions, all! I am thinking chin length to start. . .

Bagginslover
December 3rd, 2013, 02:17 AM
I am debating cutting in some long bangs too, just something soft and sweeping, that I can leave out, or put up if I want to, hmmmmm.....

kme81
December 3rd, 2013, 02:39 AM
I love my face framing bangs. I cut them in early this year, but before that I'd been bang-less for about ten years! Big change! I cut a rather unusual type of "bangs" because I really like my forehead/hairline and did not want to cover it up.

I used these bangs as inspiration: http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com/2013/04/chinese-knot-bun.html ...mine turned out a little different, for example, I cut the hair at my nape as well.

I have not maintained them at a short length, instead I have let them grow out to see what the different lengths look like. I actually really like their current length and I am considering maintaining this length. I can do more with them at this length, and they can be easily pinned back.

Here is what my bangs currently look like: http://youtu.be/bQXu9enBrK0?t=3m6s

They are unusual and I was really self conscious about them at first, but now I have come to appreciate that they are very "me" and I really like them!

Oh! And when I cut them (myself!) I was freaking out so much that I had trouble concentrating on anything else for the rest of the day! In the end I just told myself that what's done is done and I should just enjoy what I have. :)

LisaB234
December 3rd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Kme81, I LOVE your "bangs"! So soft and pretty. Actually, all of your hair is amazing! So thick and healthy looking. Beautiful updo, too!

LisaB234
December 3rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Check this out and see if it helps. I liked it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uZnKYAyZs

If you like her front layers, she has a video of how to do it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0uuLlvgMI

I like this look because it gives me the best of both worlds.

That is so pretty! Exactly what I was thinking - and her hair - wow! Thank you for the link!

LisaB234
December 3rd, 2013, 08:42 AM
Do a search for Martin Parsons. Undoubtedly the best updo artist in the world. If you can find it, there is a 2 disc set of ten updos that can be done in 10minutes, after some practice of course. Very simple to do but look like you paid a hundred bucks for it.

OH MY GOODNESS! I had never heard of Martin Parsons and have now spent way to much time eyeing some beautiful updos! So pretty and soft - wow! Thank you for the intro!

LisaB234
December 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Have you tried clip on bangs or wispy extension pieces? They might help you figure out what you like.

I hadn't thought of this - I love it - talk about easy grow out! ;-) I may scoop up some clip ins and see how they look!

LisaB234
December 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
I don't have bangs, but I don't like the all hair pulled back look on me either, so I like to french/dutchbraid the bang hair separately or pin it back and create a little bump. I've got these little shorter pieces by the temples and I always pull them loose, I think that softens it up a bit.

I tried today - not the best braiding job, but it is a much softer look. I need to keep practicing my braiding. Thanks for the idea!