PDA

View Full Version : Old Faithful or Something New?

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2013, 01:01 PM
I recently moved to the DC metro area and I'm due for a trim in a few weeks. I have a few options. One is to find a new place, and I think I've settled on this one (http://www.yelp.com/biz/casals-de-spa-and-salon-arlington) if I go to one in my new area. The reviews are great, the price is what I don't mind paying, and it sounds like a real pampering experience with the included massage and facial. That's a big reason why I go to salons--I like the pampering, spa-like experience of it. It's also close by, metro accessible and really I should find a salon in my neighborhood. I'd be excited to try this new place, but also nervous because... well... the same reason.

Another option is to go see the stylist I've had for the last three years or so when I go back to visit NY. I adore my Vinny and he almost always cuts my hair the way I like. He's comfortable and he's close to where I'll be staying in NY. But last time, he overlayered my hair and I don't know if he's going to cut it too short now that it's probably longer than his comfort zone. Of course, I could be very explicit with him and say that I'm growing my hair longer so I don't want to loose too much of my growth.

Another option is to visit a salon of an LHCer in Long Island during my visit to NY. I know she'll be respectful of my length wishes and the overall salon has good reviews. Trouble is, she's WAY out in Long Island. Because I don't want to be a burden on my host, I'll be using the train (and her salon is near an LIRR station), so, depending on my starting point, travel time could be an hour and a half to two hours just to get there. It's not a very reasonable option, but it's something I'm still somewhat considering.

So what do you guys think? Something new, something old, or something new but predictable but significantly inconvenient?

Madora
December 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Since you're going to NY, could you have your hair done at the GM salon, Madora Long Hair Heaven (48th and Madison). Not far from Grand Central. Of course this is not a spa..but they love long hair...and treat it with respect.

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Since you're going to NY, could you have your hair done at the GM salon, Madora Long Hair Heaven (48th and Madison). Not far from Grand Central. Of course this is not a spa..but they love long hair...and treat it with respect.

I've heard it's a wonderful experience, but I've heard the price quoted as over $150 and that's about twice what I want to pay for a haircut. I also have layers and according to a review I read of the place, they don't trim them, which is unfortunate for me.

Madora
December 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
That's too bad, HintOfMint. Yes, it is expensive, but worth every penny.

spidermom
December 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM
I'd go for something new, but I usually get over it pretty quick if I walk out with a hair cut different from what I want. If same upsets you, best to stick with tried and true.

DweamGoiL
December 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
I would try to find something local, particularly since you've found good reviews. What happens 3 months from now when you want to get your layers trimmed again? I would just make sure to tell my new hairdresser what my concerns are and how I found good reviews and what drew me to them. People are usually a lot more receptive when they know you have chosen them because of their good work and excellent reputation.

swearnsue
December 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM
I would say try the one in your neighborhood and give them lots of instructions and watch him/her like a hawk.