PDA

View Full Version : Which one - CO-washing more often or shampooing less often?

BowTie
December 1st, 2013, 06:07 AM
I have been washkng my hair with SLS free shampoo and conditioner twice a week. I used to shampoo daily but it was too drying:mad: However, now I've fallen in love with CO-washing. It really cleans and soothes my scalp, leaves my hair looking fab etc... But, I have to wash my hair more often. This week I washed it 3 times and I think I'd probably have to wash it 3-4 times a week. I actually haven't used shampoo for 10 days now.

So which one do you think is better? Co-washing more often or shampooing less often?

florenonite
December 1st, 2013, 06:15 AM
It depends on a lot of factors: how your scalp responds to shampoo, if your hair dries out with shampoo, if washing more often puts it at greater risk of mechanical damage (wet hair is more fragile, but many people can just damp bun and their hair turns out fine), etc. It's really something you have to try and see.

Crumpet
December 1st, 2013, 07:23 AM
There aren't hard-and-fast rules on this. It sounds like CO-washing is working really well for you so why not stick with it? Once you get used to it you may be able to stretch your CO washes more. I think it takes a while to get settled. I'm also switching to CO, but I'm doing one CO and then one Poo wash (I was about every 4-5 days). I'm hoping to eventually switch to less Poo and more CO.

Ice princess
December 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM
I have the same question. When i shampoo i can stretch the washes to only twice a week. If i CO my hair hets greasy much quicker and i have to CO 3x a week.

It is difficult to maisturise my low porosity hair so i think CO is the way to go as my hair loves it. But i am also concerned about what washing more often will do to my hair even if i dont use heat? I have stopped combing it when wet and use a cotton tshirt instead of towel, followed by air drying.

sarahthegemini
December 1st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hmm it's difficult, if you need moisture then on the one hand co-washing would be better as you're not stripping it BUT at the same time, too much water (frequency) can dry out hair too. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, it sounds like co is working wonderfully for you though so i'd stick with it and try to stretch washes.

Madora
December 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Every time you CO you're leaving a trace behind on your hair. Doing it often creates build-up, which necessitates more washing, which means more mechanical damage.

Maybe if you limit your co washing to once a week...and just shampoo one more time at the end of the week, you might have better results.

Personally, I'd just shampoo once a week and follow that with a conditioning rinse.

Also, try diluting your shampoo and conditioner a little.

endlessly
December 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
It really depends on a variety of factors. Do you notice more build-up on your scalp or hair from not shampooing? I tend to co-wash the most, but will do a clarifying shampoo 2-3 times a month depending on how my hair feels. Since I use a lot of leave-in conditioners and oils, I believe that's the main reason for me to shampoo a little more frequently. I've been using a cleansing coconut co-wash for two weeks now and haven't felt the need to shampoo at all, so that might be an alternative option for you, too.

Wildcat Diva
December 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
What about misting your scalp/ roots in between with something like Roobios tea spray.

durgidog
December 1st, 2013, 12:27 PM
I also wash with sulfate-free shampoo about 3 times a month, whenever I feel my hair needs it. You could always try condish-shampoo-condish (I think that's called CWC?). It takes time for your scalp to adapt, and I assume you are not using a conditioner with cones. Also, I don't think CO is for everyone. I have extremely dry hair and scalp and I can go a week without a wash and don't get greasy.

In2wishin
December 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM
I really don't have any suggestions except, when you CO-wash, are you keeping the conditioner in your hair for a few minutes and are you rinsing well? Since I started CO washing I have been able to stretch my washings past a week and I haven't needed shampoo or clarifying for a couple of years.