PDA

View Full Version : Planning on Dyeing Hair Red in a wk or so, need advice

Tlb2012
December 1st, 2013, 04:08 AM
I am Scottish-Irish, Dutch, Cherokee Indian, not sure how much of each. My complexion is more on the peachy side with quite a bit of a golden look at times. What shade of red hair, ginger, orange, orange-red, red, red-wine, burgundy, looks the best with that complexion. My eyes are a medium hazel with amber and olive undertones, which I plan to lighten through MSM and honey, so I will end up with light olive green. With those natural colorings, which red tone is best? The more orange-red, the happier I'll be! I've seen amazing results with henna! My natural hair now is a dark warm brown.

restless
December 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM
My eyes are a medium hazel with amber and olive undertones, which I plan to lighten through MSM and honey, so I will end up with light olive green.

Im sorry, I dont have any answers to your questions regarding hair colour, but this sentence caught my attention and made me really curious. How does this work?

Tlb2012
December 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
Im sorry, I dont have any answers to your questions regarding hair colour, but this sentence caught my attention and made me really curious. How does this work?

I've been reading on the Internet in various places, one being Skin Care Talk, that making your own MSM drops, and honey/water drops will lighten the eye color slowly over time. I've yet to see any really convincing before/after photos though. As for what type of honey, it must be organic. I'm going to do so much research on this before I plunk my $$$ down on a huge can of MSM flakes!

MonaMayfair
December 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
I've been reading on the Internet in various places, one being Skin Care Talk, that making your own MSM drops, and honey/water drops will lighten the eye color slowly over time. I've yet to see any really convincing before/after photos though. As for what type of honey, it must be organic. I'm going to do so much research on this before I plunk my $$$ down on a huge can of MSM flakes!

I'd never heard of this, so looked it up. I sure as hell wouldn't risk trying it though (not that I want to change my eye color)
Colored contacts would be less hazardous, and you know they'll work!

As for your hair, you know that henna can't lighten hair? So if it's a dark brown now, it'll probably be dark auburn after henna. Depending on the henna you use (and how many times you do it) it might look more orangey or more reddish in strong sunlight, but under different lighting and when you're indoors, it will probably still look dark brown.

Tlb2012
December 1st, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'd never heard of this, so looked it up. I sure as hell wouldn't risk trying it though (not that I want to change my eye color)

As for your hair, you know that henna can't lighten hair? So if it's a dark brown now, it'll probably be dark auburn after henna. Depending on the henna you use (and how many times you do it) it might look more orangey or more reddish in strong sunlight, but under different lighting and when you're indoors, it will probably still look dark brown.

Yes, I know henna can't lighten hair. I meant once I get my hair to the base light color to dye on which red will or might look the best? I've always been told because of my "neutral skin tone" that red is nearly impossible for me to look right in, but what about all those websites saying there's a red shade for everybody?

gillybeanxo3921
December 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM
I think it might be easier if you provided a picture, either of you, or of someone else that has similar features

durgidog
December 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Yes, I know henna can't lighten hair. I meant once I get my hair to the base light color to dye on which red will or might look the best?

Sounds like you do plan to bleach before henna. Have you considered that you will have to bleach and then henna your roots to maintain every few weeks going forward? I agree that a pic would help in terms of whether red is a good shade for your coloring.

restless
December 2nd, 2013, 02:02 AM

That is fascinating, thanks for the reply. I gotta agree with MonaMayfair though, I wouldnt want to risk my eyes and sight when there are other options available. Be careful :)

KittyBird
December 2nd, 2013, 03:58 AM
My eyes are a medium hazel with amber and olive undertones, which I plan to lighten through MSM and honey, so I will end up with light olive green.

I'm sorry, but that just sounds like an excellent way to damage your eyes and potentially end up blind. That's a really, really bad idea. As far as I know, the only way to change your eye colour is surgery. As for people getting results from honey treatments, they could simply be taking the progress pictures in different lights (or using photoshop to fake it). My eye colours vary depending on the light. For example, my blue eye can look anything from light blue-gray to deep turquoise. I think you'd be better off using coloured contacts. :)

I did some research and picked this up from a different website:
"Theodore Leng, MD FACS... Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Director of Ophthalmic Diagnostics at the Byers Eye Institute at Stanford in Palo Alto, CA has this to say about using honey to lighten your eyes:

"Recently, I learned that some people believe that putting honey into the eye can cause the eye color to lighten. I guess people will go to extremes to turn their brown eyes blue, but unfortunately there is no way to do this. Sorry, honey will not lighten your eye color. In fact, any homemade eye solution (including homemade contact lens solution) carries the risk of serious eye infections like acanthamoeba. So not only will honey water keep your eyes brown, but you could also end up with a nasty eye infection."

As for what shade of red would suit you better, it's almost impossible to tell without a picture. If you don't want to post one of yourself, maybe find a picture of a model with similar colouring?

MonaMayfair
December 2nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
Another couple of ideas about the hair colour, is there anywhere near you that you could possibly try on wigs? Or I know there are websites where you can upload a photo yourself and change your hair colour/try on virtual wigs.
Either of those things might give you more of an idea of the shade of red you like best.

Oh, and with the eye thing, I have read that Latisse (which is a product for growing eyelashes) can change the color of the pupil (this is usually an unwanted side effect and it doesn't happen to everyone), but I've definitely read that it can change brown to blue. I know you wanted green though, and I believe Latisse is pretty expensive too.

Magalo
December 2nd, 2013, 07:46 AM
So, after that lengthy description, I conclude that you're caucasian with brown hair and eyes?

tbonita
December 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
I wear colored contacts sometimes... I figure if I gotta wear them anyway, why not make it fun? I love them.

Liz_park
December 2nd, 2013, 11:59 AM

Ummm...I would be less concerned about the price of MSM and more concerned with the health of your eyes! Please don't put random MSM drops in there. You have no idea what that will do long term! And as you say it's not proven to actually work. :(

Liz_park
December 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Oh, and with the eye thing, I have read that Latisse (which is a product for growing eyelashes) can change the color of the pupil (this is usually an unwanted side effect and it doesn't happen to everyone), but I've definitely read that it can change brown to blue. I know you wanted green though, and I believe Latisse is pretty expensive too.

Latisse actually causes light eyes and eyelashes to become darker, not the other way around. If she uses latisse, she will end up with darker lashes and darker eyes.

Lyv
December 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
It would be easier to help you with color if you posted a photo! As for eye lightening I don't really think that's possible but a honey water solution is used some places to soothe itchy eyes so I don't know if it will damage them if you decide to do it. Maybe talk to a doctor first.

cranberrymoonz
December 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
You are definetely a warm, so warm tones like ginger/auburn/orange-red will look better on you than cool burgundies. I'm wondering how dark your skin and hair are, and how much contrast you have in your complexion. It will affect how dark and how bright a colour will look best on you. They say it's best not to move more than two tones away from your natural colour, not only in shade, but also in tone.

EDIT: Just read your hair is dark brown. If you'll use henna, it will not affect your colour too much, it'll probably just shift it to a nice auburn shade which will look great with your complexion. Go for it:)

YumiYume
December 2nd, 2013, 02:11 PM
I did some google search your not supposed to put the msm in your eyes, you are supposed to EAT it

and by the number of people using msm here there would be threads al over about eye colour that has lightened but I have seen none. you could try that alone, it is good for your hair and skin anyway

http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/38474/any-luck-with-msm-arbutin-or-honey-for-eye-color-lightening

Lets say this do work, your dark brown eyes with olive undertone will still be brown with a undertone, just lighter, the honey was supposed to lighten, not take brown away

try experiment with water colours on a paper, what happens if you add white to brown with a hint of green, will it remove the brown and turn the spot completly green or will it turn just a shade lighter of brown with a hint of green?

photoshop, lighten a pic of you up, cut the eyes out and put on an un-edited picture. do they seem to be light olive green or do they just seem to be a lighter brown?

I am sorry If I sound rude, but it feels like your about to start any minute and it does sound very dangerous and permanent damaging. this thread sounds to me like, "I need advice on haircolour for my new mermaid hair because if I eat this chemical stuff I can breath under water". again, I am sorry for my harsh words but it is often those harsh words that makes people think twice. If my post makes you do that, I have succeded and maby saved you from a lot of problems, if I just make you angry because you asked advice for your hair and not your eyes, go ahed. It is your eyes so you can ignore everyones oppinion, but dont blame the internet if you end up blind or what side effect that could happen.

however, on to the hair question. it depends on your overall complexion like if you have warm or cold undertone. but if you bleach youll never know for sure what you get (at least didnt I)

[edit] a link about healthy food and vitamins that did lighten eyes http://excoboard.com/exco/archive.php?ac=t&forumid=65288&date=07-16-2008&t=1469786-2

this creapy sentence follow me ever since I saw that horror movie with mirrors everywhere as a child "Inside out" whas the solution of their problem. and it might not only be a solution of healthy hairgrowth but what you desire aswell, at least eating helthy and take care of your body wont hurt you :)

Ashlbee
December 2nd, 2013, 05:46 PM
On the hair topic: I second trying on some wigs if you can. I'm not a huge fan of virtual wig trying on sites, I think they always end up looking completely not real and give you no true idea how you will actually look. If you are skilled with and have photoshop, that can give you a pretty accurate idea (even more than a real wig in some cases as your hair cut/style/natural variation in color stays the same, only the overall color is changing.) Keep in mind wigs won't give you an exact idea either, especially low quality synthetics (I know someone who loved the emerald green wig, then tried to replicate it in dye and just... Couldn't in the same way). And you just never know how your hair will take to dye, especially when bleaching first. I think red hair is fabulous though and could look great, it's important not to be afaird to try new things :D Just br sure you are prepared for the upkeep and potential pitfalls. As long as you are, I think it will be a great experience for you!

Without seeing a picture, but based on your description, here are my thoughts on color. I tend to find all reds, especially the more orange ones, look best on people with pale, creamy complexions (usually accompanied by blue/green eyes and freckles, just because naturally that's how it tends to occur). Since you naturally have darker eyes and hair, I think going too light and orange or red will look unnatural. If you don't mind that, go for it! However, maybe only lighten your hair 2 shades or so and keep with the more burgundy or richer reds if you what a more natural look. What would look most natural in all likelihood would be putting red over your natural color. Keeps most factors in line with your real coloring, just adds some red to it, but that may feel to subtle for you?

You are at an advantage though! :D I for instance have blonde hair with lots of natural color variation. I've thought of trying red, but if it didn't fade out properly (or like henna, never fades usually!) I could never get my color back! I would have to grow it out again. No amount of bleach and artificial low and high lights could replicate my color, so I would never sacrifice it to experiement with red. You however, having darker brown, if you end up not liking it or growing tired of it, you can much more easily dye you color back! It may be more red than before and might be a tad off, but you could still probably do it with great success!

Just make sure you are prepared for damage if you bleach (even though henna will help strengthen it again, make sure to put some coconut oil on first to protect it from the bleach) and be prepared for the roots upkeep (time wise and financially) of bleach and dye.

Good luck! I hope it goes great for you! :D

Ashlbee
December 2nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
On the eye color topic: My personal feelings are I wouldn't risk my eye health for the sake of color. Eyes are so fragile and so irreplaceable, I think it would be a huge regret for you if they got damaged for something like color. It would be one thing if it was doctor endorsed and had some proven results, but because it isn't (even some doctors approved treatments these days come with huge risks!) and the results shown online could easily be lighting differences and photoshop, my personal stance would be not to do it.

Just a story (and I realize it isn't the same thing, but just to illustrate how I came to value my eyes so very much) when my dad was recovering from cancer, he got an ear infection and was given drops for it. Well, (stupidly on all our parts) in the medicine cabinet the generic eye drops and his ear drops were next to eachother. Not thinking I grabbed a bottle and put a few drops in my itchy eye. It started burning something fierce! Panicking I looked at the bottle: yup, ear drops. We rushed to the ER and all I could think was, what if I loose my sight in that eye? What if it looks weird forever now? Of course what we should have done was wash it out right away because by the time you get to the ER it would be too late anyway. Thankfully it turned out ok. The doctor who prescribed the drops to my dad told us, while they were too acidic for the eye and he would never recommend doing it again, once would cause no irreparable damage and I would be fine. :) My point is it was really scary and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I would second the colored contacts as an option. They can be fun, temporary, and very natural looking if you get good ones in a subtle shade variance. Plus, if the flakes you mentioned are expensive, the contacts are probably on par with that.

If you really decide to go through with the flake drops and honey drops, here is my advice for what it is worth: keep medical grade eye wash handy for in case you start to feel ANY irritation and flush them out ASAP. Tap water has all sorts of chemicals in it not good for eyes, maybe mix the stuff with purified water. If you can, consult a doctors first and see if it is safe or they strongly advise against it.

Best of luck! I think your real eye color sounds lovely though for what's its worth.

fairview
December 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
A quality red is a maintenance nightmare unless you are a true redhead. 1st I've not found a color line that fade on tone when it comes to red. It fades in about as many ways imagined but typically is is some ugly brassy warm orange color. To get to your quality red a good colorist will first lift you to a lighter level than you want and then do a deposit only color application to enhance that dominant color. Now here is where the maintenance nightmare comes in. Your hair grows roughly 1/2" a month, ymmv. First week after coloring there will be a dark brown line of new growth around your hairline,. 2 weeks approx 1/4" becoming more noticeable everyday. If this line of demarcation is going to drive you crazy, you'll either be completely insane or broke pretty quick. Every time you retouch your color, the new growth will need to be lifted, new deposit only color applied and then applied to midshaft to ends.

I would suggest you consider becoming a transitional red head. Have a heavy partial highlight service done lifting your hair to the appropriate level, tone/enhance. In about 2 months do it again making sure the colorist picks new hair and has minimal overlap. 2 months later on the third visit have it done again but this time tell the colorist to include roughly 20% of previous highlighted hair in the toner to enhance the red. This way you color will become very dimensional.

If you keep the majority of the work around your face, you will look very red in very short time and when you don't want to invest so much in your hair, it will grow out into a natural ombre without needing a very expensive color correction service. Good luck. Do a test strand first.