PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr. The TSA threw out my stuff!

CurlyCap
December 1st, 2013, 12:31 AM
So, I'm bound for 4 weeks away from home with no guarantee of easy access to conventional grocery/shopping stores.

Because of FSA regulations, I knew I couldn't bring conditioner for the journey (gasp!), so I packed small tubs of butters, oils, and a packet of citric acid for rinses. Each was clearly labelled, either by the source I bought from or with my own homemade labels on glass/reusable jars.

When I arrived at my destination, ALL OF IT had been thrown away...and they only left one of those little "We inspected your baggage" stubs. They left my makeup and lotion alone.

So now I'm in no man's land without even basic hair supplies and I am very, very displeased with the TSA. This would not have happened if I had packed conventional products....that do not work with my hair type.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening.

Flor
December 1st, 2013, 12:55 AM
*psst* Next time empty your generic hair and skin care bottles and fill them in with your own concoctions. It's not against the law to be environmentally-friendly and reusing plastic and glass containers, is it?? :D Citric acid could go into a loose face powder sifter jar, for example.....

Are you somewhere exotic? I never had my luggage examined before, but I only traveled through Europe.

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2013, 01:08 AM
Oh my goodness, that's infuriating! God, I'm actually really upset on your behalf. I didn't know they could just throw things out (I mean unless it's a weapon or something) if it's packed in your non-carry on luggage. Why would they do this??

MandyBeth
December 1st, 2013, 02:16 AM
Oh my goodness, that's infuriating! God, I'm actually really upset on your behalf. I didn't know they could just throw things out (I mean unless it's a weapon or something) if it's packed in your non-carry on luggage. Why would they do this??

Odd, or repackaged, or unlabeled packages of "stuff" may be something not as claimed. Add in the products in question are more likely to trip an organic compound sensor - they get removed.

Curly - are you in one place for a few days? Could you get products overnighted to you?

koolkittychick
December 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM

Also, if the containers are more than two ounces and are not identified as some commercial product (i.e., shampoo or conditioner), they are thrown out.

Sorry this happened to you Curly Cap; hopefully your hair won't suffer any damage from the lack of staples. :(

Lostsoule77
December 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
That sucks CurlyCap. Hopefully you can find something that works for you where you are.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM
CC, where are you? Maybe we can help, seen as we're from "allovertheplace" on LHC anyway.

browneyedsusan
December 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM
I don't blame you. You did what you were supposed to do! They shouldn't have thrown away your things! I've never had a problem with repackaging toiletries, but they did snatch my leatherman out of my purse once!
(My fault. I forgot about it in there. I loved that knife!)

Madora
December 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Sorry to read about your TSA troubles, CurlyCap.

Perhaps mineral oil (baby oil) is available where you are staying? Here's more about mineral oil and curly hair:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/

truepeacenik
December 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Wow. And we worry about our styling tools (hair toys).
One reason I don't check luggage unless I'm basically shipping my paints in a back pack is so I can know what's going on at all times.
Sample size panacea has gotten a second look. And that gets everything searched. So too did a bottle of seasoned salt I was bringing as a gift (unwrapped, but with the paper and tape right there to be completed in terminal).

Cameras get dusted, I've been checked for residue, too.
I've been in the extra screening line more times than I can count.

I was able to explain the panacea as "hair pomade."

Kaelee
December 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Wow! Where were you flying to/from? I've never had this problem, even taking a baby food jar full of coconut oil (with a piece of tape on top with "coconut oil" written on it) didn't get any second glances on a trip to Hawaii! It honestly never occurred to me that my makeup or haircare products might get thrown out by the TSA if they are in CHECKED LUGGAGE (now, size restrictions on carry on, I understand.)

Kaelee
December 1st, 2013, 11:39 AM
I don't blame you. You did what you were supposed to do! They shouldn't have thrown away your things! I've never had a problem with repackaging toiletries, but they did snatch my leatherman out of my purse once!
(My fault. I forgot about it in there. I loved that knife!)

This. I repackage toiletries ALL THE TIME. Usually, I don't bother to label it (or I just scrawl "lotion" or "shampoo" on the bottle in marker so I don't get them mixed up myself when I go to use them.)

I don't see why it being a "commercial" bottle should matter because it's not like you can't empty it out and put whatever you want in the bottle.

CurlyCap
December 1st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Nope. All of these items were in my checked lugguage. I knew potions and lotions, even below the 3oz limit, just weren' worth the hassle.

And I was somewhat suspecting that they might throw out the citric acid....but everything? It just seems to scream that they didn't know what anything was, and so they threw it all out.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 12:54 PM
Seems to me they will throw anything out that you've likely "concocted" yourself. Seems like if it's not in regular branded travel bottles it's worth the investigation. I can definitely understand them being careful, even though it *is* unpleasant when your stuff gets chucked!

chen bao jun
December 1st, 2013, 01:24 PM
Poor Curly Cap, what a pain.
But they must have some kind of good for hair oil, and honey and vinegar for rinses (or lemons) wherever you are.
And you can actually wash your scalp with a beaten egg yolk.

trolleypup
December 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Another consideration is that your items may have triggered a food importation concern that the TSA is enforcing for your destination.

In any case, UGH!

chen bao jun
December 2nd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yes, my grandmother used to try to bring us mangoes from Barbados back in the day (when it was harder to get mangoes here. It's still hard to get good once). Once in a blue moon she got them in, though this was before the TSA. she used to swear the people who confiscated them ate them.

Another consideration is that your items may have triggered a food importation concern that the TSA is enforcing for your destination.

In any case, UGH!

Alun
December 2nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
I've smuggled food many times and never been caught. They won't let you bring ANY food into the US, regardless if it's something you really love and can't get here. Their excuse is it may lead to some kind of pestilence in US crops. I'm going to eat it, not plant it, duh! They even seem to think that meat products are a threat to crops??? I dropped biology at age 13 and even I know better than to believe their BS.

Alun
December 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
Yes, my grandmother used to try to bring us mangoes from Barbados back in the day (when it was harder to get mangoes here. It's still hard to get good once). Once in a blue moon she got them in, though this was before the TSA. she used to swear the people who confiscated them ate them.

That's the only believable explanation. They must eat it.

lacefrost
December 2nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
CurlyCap, wow. I would lose my *****in sh*t if that happened to me. I would probably just cry and then go crazy.

Kaelee
December 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
That's the only believable explanation. They must eat it.

I would hope that SOMEONE would be enjoying it. It would be a shame to throw out good food.

florenonite
December 3rd, 2013, 03:49 AM
I've smuggled food many times and never been caught. They won't let you bring ANY food into the US, regardless if it's something you really love and can't get here. Their excuse is it may lead to some kind of pestilence in US crops. I'm going to eat it, not plant it, duh! They even seem to think that meat products are a threat to crops??? I dropped biology at age 13 and even I know better than to believe their BS.

I brought ham stock cubes to my parents once as you can't get them in Canada and they were confiscated because "They have meat in them, and they could be carrying bird flu or BSE". Ham. Stock. Cubes.

Kaelee
December 3rd, 2013, 08:18 AM
I brought ham stock cubes to my parents once as you can't get them in Canada and they were confiscated because "They have meat in them, and they could be carrying bird flu or BSE". Ham. Stock. Cubes.

The US govt. at least is so full of BS it's ridiculous. I'm thinking, seriously? TELL US THE REAL REASON. I'm sure you have a valid reason for not allowing something into the country, onto a plane, etc. Just tell us. Because we're not 5 years old, we KNOW that what you're saying doesn't make any sense, and frankly, it's insulting.

PrincessIdril
December 3rd, 2013, 09:16 AM

In any case, UGH!

This was my first thought, especially when you said you had packed butters/oils.