PDA

View Full Version : My kitten keeps attacking my hair...

Rairity
November 30th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Ever since I was little I have had short hair but recently I have been growing it out (its about 2 inches or so past my shoulder and I started with a boy cut). Its been an adjustment and recently my kitten Rory has taken to attacking it so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to encourage him to stop? Today he climbed up me to get at it....I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't growing it out..

Rairity
November 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Its actually about six (when did that happen?!) I just measured...

Queentamora
November 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
This would happen with my two siamese-tabbies. It sounds cute, but it's really incredibly annoying when they try to eat your hair. If you can't put your hair up so it looks less tempting, wear a hat till he grows out of it. :p As for encouraging him not to, I can only think of distracting him with a more suitable toy. Good luck :)

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Ever since I was little I have had short hair but recently I have been growing it out (its about 2 inches or so past my shoulder and I started with a boy cut). Its been an adjustment and recently my kitten Rory has taken to attacking it so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to encourage him to stop? Today he climbed up me to get at it....I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't growing it out..

Rory is just being an endearing little guy and swatting at what intrigues him. Isn't his fault at all!

Clip your hair back with a barrette or tie it back with a scrunchie to keep it out of harm's way. When little Rory tries to get at it, take out a fishing pole toy and distract him with it. Kittens are darling (major love from yours truly) but YOU gotta be the boss and be wise.

Rairity
November 30th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I'll keep it up more often but he is persistent! I think naming him after Rory the Roman has had side effects... :)

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'll keep it up more often but he is persistent! I think naming him after Rory the Roman has had side effects... :)

Rory may be persistent...but you need to be firm...coz if you let him get away with it now, his hair grabbing proclivities will be MUCH worse when he's larger! Be strong!

DweamGoiL
November 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM
My cat Azalia used to like to head-butt me whenever I was sitting down. She then would lay next to my head and sniff at my hair. This was all good until she would start clawing at it (gently, but still) and then trying to eat it. At the very least, she would drool all over me. It turns out she liked the smell of my conditioner...really like it!

I agree with the others. Young cats just want to play. You just have to slowly teach him not to by distracting him and saying no! in a very stern voice every time he does it. You might want to ignore him for a few minutes after as well so the training becomes a form of positive reinforcement that he will not get any attention every time he does this.

melesine
November 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Oh man, I can't even comb my hair near one of my cats, he just goes crazy. And I better not let my hair hang over the back of the couch. I can't even count how many times I've just been sitting there and ouch my hair is being pulled. One of the reasons I started wearing my hair up in a bun almost all the time.

WilfredAllen
November 30th, 2013, 06:14 PM
getting a second kitten as a playmate and companion can help. Spray bottles work better than scolding because they learn "if I do this then I get wet" rather than "the human doesn't like it when I do this"

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 09:22 PM
getting a second kitten as a playmate and companion can help. Spray bottles work better than scolding because they learn "if I do this then I get wet" rather than "the human doesn't like it when I do this"

Totally agree with you, WilfredAllen! Second kitty is great companionship for Rory. You might also try the penny can trick..a few coins in a rinsed out soda can. Makes a lot of noise and scares the dickens out of them.

Wildcat Diva
November 30th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I used to have a cat that would jump up onto the bed in the night, and then she would suck on my hair and knead her claws into my scalp when I was sleeping. I pray that this never happens to you.

Rairity
December 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
I hope not! lol

Wildcat Diva
December 2nd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Yes, it was a horrible experience. Is anything better with your kitty?

swearnsue
December 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
The only solution to this problem is to give Rory to me!:)

joflakes
December 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Aww, bless him. I have nothing more to add other than I know the feeling! My kitty does the same!

AmyBeth
December 2nd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Can't help you. I love my pets more than my hair. Maybe if you didn't spoil him rotten he would behave better:grin:

Tota
December 2nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
I used to have a cat that would jump up onto the bed in the night, and then she would suck on my hair and knead her claws into my scalp when I was sleeping. I pray that this never happens to you.

That's exactly what my catster does... And when I sleep with my hair loose he's the happiest because he can lay on it the whole night ... my SO says it looks like my cat is swimming in hair:)

An updo is the simplest and the best solution.

YamaMaya
December 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
He's just a baby, to you it's hair, but to him it's a facinating new toy that moves and sways in all kinds of interesting ways. He's at that age where he'll chase anything that moves, so keep your hair in a bun or put it up with a hair friendly elastic out of his reach. Most importantly, make sure he has plenty of toys. My cats love little toy mice, especially the fuzzy ones. Eventually, he'll learn that these cat toys are way more fun plus they're sometimes infused with catnip which is always a plus if your kitty loves nip :3.

Siiri
December 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
I suggest trying some other things that have been suggested here first before spraying him with water. Although spraying doesn't physically harm him, he's not stupid and will see that it's you who is doing it, and you don't want your pet to be afraid of you. Young kittens need a lot of playing time, especially the ones that don't have a cat companion.

Almendra
December 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
I suggest trying some other things that have been suggested here first before spraying him with water. Although spraying doesn't physically harm him, he's not stupid and will see that it's you who is doing it, and you don't want your pet to be afraid of you. Young kittens need a lot of playing time, especially the ones that don't have a cat companion.

I agree. Came here to say this. My lovely cat didn't play with my hair, but, he used to bite to much when someone was playing with him. You can always intimidate him with a ''NO!'' but, he will persist for sure. The water will no harm him and eventually he'll learn that your hair isn't a toy. Sounds cruel, but it isn't. I love my cat but I can let he to do what he please, and many profesionals recommend this method to ''discipline'' a cat. Use a spray bottle, of course, don't throw at him a glass of water :p

Lyv
December 2nd, 2013, 11:04 PM
One of my friends cats used to attack my hair so I started wearing it up and then gradually let it down a little until he lost interest in it. My cat likes to try to bite the back of my hair because she likes the way it smells, she even sleeps with her face buried in it lol.