PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut after a shed?

honeybunnie8
November 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Somewhere around August or September I had a huge shed. Every time I ran my fingers through my hair I would get handfuls.. :(:boohoo::cry:
I don't know if it was because I tried some MSM or my hormones leveling out from stopping breastfeeding a few months back but it was made worse by my grandpa dying.
I'm thinking I should cut it back since its so much thinner at the ends now. I think I probably lost about .5 of an inch of thickness but I'm not sure since I don't measure much.

This is what my hair looked like at the end of june.
This is sockbun curles
https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1422623_730343616977700_888900798_n.jpg
This is just air dried but also in june
https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1454920_730343926977669_304709359_n.jpg

and this is now (nov)
https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1425526_730344243644304_703404528_n.jpg

Sorry the pictures are so big. I wish I could cut my butt out of these pics lol

kaydana
November 30th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Do you want it shorter?

If the answer is no, then don't cut it. It looks fine. Sure, it's thinner than in earlier pictures, but it's still not thin.

honeybunnie8
November 30th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I was going for BCL but I think it would look ratty by the time I got there. So I'm not sure. It still feels short to me.

kaydana
November 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Deal with it looking ratty if/when it starts to look ratty. Right now it looks fine, so I'd leave it alone.

LauraLongLocks
November 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I would maintain where you are for 3-6 months, or cut half your growth monthly for a few months while your baby hairs catch up a bit. While it is, indeed, thinner than it was, it doesn't look wispy or damaged at all to me.

Sillage
November 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Pic size and butt size are both fine on my computer, Honeybunnie8 :laugh:

I'm sorry about your grandfather, I know it can be very difficult :(

Agree with Kaydana that your hair doesn't look thin. Your hemline looks totally fine to me-- not scraggly or thin at all. Personally, I wouldn't trim.

BTW, the two looking up at you in your photos are cuties-- who are they? :)

honeybunnie8
November 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM
It feels so much thinner! It's not damaged except for some split ends here and there from normal handling.

Thanks. :) Losing my grandpa was hard.

Oh One is my son and the other is my dog Freya. :) Though my son calls her Raw. lol

If I cut it it would probably only be a few inches but I think my hair grows slow so it would take even that much longer to grow out.

Rio040113
November 30th, 2013, 03:28 PM
First off, I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a hard thing to go through.

As far as your hair goes, I don't think it looks too thin at all and personally I wouldn't cut it, unless you actually want it shorter :) I wouldn't even bother trimming yet as it is either, I think your hemline looks great! Over the last few months I've lost 1inch+ of my thickness and it shows, it's all come from my crown/front of my head but I refuse to cut it because I'd rather have long thin hair, than short thin hair ;)

Here's to regrowth and baby hairs! :toast:

martyna_22
November 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Personally, I think your hair is still lovely! If I were you I'd either leave it alone to grow, or I'd maintain (not sure as I'm on the shorter side of LHC:)). It's your call, yet I support everyone here that says your hair's perfectly fine the way it is. :)

restless
November 30th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Thin...? Are we looking at the same photos? It looks perfectly fine to me. Actually, its stunning! Dont worry about it :)

Kitten1030
November 30th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I just love how your son and your dog are looking at you in those pictures. You are the center of their universe.

Flor
December 1st, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hair looks fine, so does the butt!

I would suggest taking a few more pictures, again with sock bun curls and in different light. I don't think you lost much thickness at all, it's just less volume-flattering photo.

But if you do like a more solid hemline and haven't trimmed in a while, go for it. I know my hair doesn't quite NEED trims, but I still do it every 3 months (microtrimming), it makes it just a bit nicer to me somehow.

SleepyTangles
December 1st, 2013, 05:02 AM
I've always heard that shedding is cyclical and normal, since a hair lives 7/8 years: if we'd cut back every time, we probably will be struck in the same lenght forever.
Your shed looks perfectly normal (not unhealthy at all), and your hair looks beautiful :): yes, it looks fuller in the first two photos, but you have by no means thin hair. Without reading your text, maybe I would have thought the angle you took the photo was slightly different, or that you used a different conditioner/products...

Maybe you can maintain waist for a season or two, then grow. Or grow, then maintain for a bit. Or "dust" your ends every now and then. Whatever feels nicer to you :flower:! But your hair doesn't look like a trim is needed now!

I'm sorry for the stress and the loss you went through, grandpas are the best.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 08:56 AM

Agree! ^^

There really is no need to cut after a shed. If that were the case, that we always needed to cut or trim after a shed, everyone would be majorly trimming at least twice a year, which might be okay for some, but not for others. :p

TiaKitty
December 1st, 2013, 09:11 AM
I don't think you should cut it, either. If it were my hair, I'd wear it down, no problem. It's lovely!

After my shed that left me with thinner ends, I put it up and left it up for a while. The thinner ends help me. In a twist or braid tail they taper down, and make a tail that is easy for me to tuck in/hide. Blunt ends feel too thick and make it hard to get at "tidy" tail.

Have you gotten any baby hairs yet?

ravenheather
December 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Your hair is lovely in all the photos no trim needed.

mariakatija
December 1st, 2013, 07:38 PM
Your hair still looks beautiful! I don't think it's necessary to trim.

MeowScat
December 1st, 2013, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. It's so incredibly hard to lose a loved one. My heart truly goes out to you. :blossom:

I had a big shed earlier this year, clumps coming out whenever I combed, finger detangled, or washed. It was so scary.

My advice is to not cut it. I was expecting your hair to look very thin, but it doesn't at all. If you feel really insecure about it, maybe do a microtrim, but you really don't need it. Just put it up, forget about it, then take a look at it in a few months. I've grown my hair out many times, and I have found that it usually goes through a stage where I'm not happy with it. Have patience. Your body is going through a lot right now, be gentle with yourself. Your hair is gorgeous, by the way!

0xalis
December 1st, 2013, 10:41 PM

I third this! :D
I'd be quite happy for my ends to be that thick [post-shed] at waist. Your hair doesn't look thin in the slightest.

Do whatever will make you feel the most comfortable! :)

honeybunnie8
December 5th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the replys! :)
I guess I'll just leave it for now. Maybe do a micro trim just to even the ends up a bit.
I have a bunch of 6-8 inch hairs in front but I have also noticed a bunch of baby hairs coming out too. So I'm not sure what's going with my hair.

spidermom
December 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
To be honest, I would cut it, but the ends don't look so much thin as uneven to me. I think I'd want to cut back at least 2 inches and get some shape back into the hem.

But I'm fussy like that.

honeybunnie8
December 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Yea. I was thinking it was odd how my U hemline became almost straight. I clearly damage right side more though.

spidermom
December 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM
The same happens to me but on the left side. I have the suspicion that the left side isn't genetically programmed to grow as long as the right side would. The right side grows faster and is thicker, too.